Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Apr 26, 2009, 12:25 PM   #101

Cresho wrote:
Quote:
I tried looking at the rolling shutter. I can't see it. Maybee its too fast for me to see it. Or maybee its your pc.
Rolling shutter is one of those things that different people seem to have different sensitivities to. ie some people don't like even a twitch of rolling shutter while others won't even notice it. It does seem to be something that has to be pointed out to those who have never heard of rolling shutter. Most People won't notice it unless it's a cheap camcorder and you are moving it quite vigorously.

When I first got into CMOS camcorders and started reading about rolling shutter I had to look for it as it wasn't obvious at first even when panning as I think your brain is more forgiving with a moving image. A bit like a low resolution image looks fine as a video yet a single still can look terrible! Rolling shutter on still images can be much more spectacular though, I assume because the exposure time can be much longer. Having said that, for still images it's not generally a problem, unless you are taking photos in a moving vehicle etc.

I don't think the average consumer even notices rolling shutter as I never hear much about it. Those who do mention it tend to be enthusiasts like us. This is probably why even highend camcorder makers haven't bothered to try and remove it entirely.

I wonder how expensive it would actually be to make a CMOS sensor that had a global shutter?

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2009, 3:03 PM   #102

When I bought my camera, I use to do alot of fast panning and Never noticed it. I mean i freeze framed each one and looked at the vertical walls. IT could be because I used 1080i and never thought of it again.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2009, 10:31 AM   #103

Hi, I'm brand new in this Forum and I have just bought the Sanyo HD2000 for my wife. Since this is my first videocam, I cannot compare it with other videocams. After playing with it for a few days, I am very impressed by the video quality but the EIS is very poor (compared with my experience with Lumix still camera's OIS) when you are zooming. I have stated a Blog at http://sanyovideocam.blogspot.comon this and I will be posting more about my experience with the HD2000 there. Another point is that you'll need very resourceful PC to view or edit your video but it is great if you just want to watch the videos with the videocam connected to your HDTV.
ronaldkwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2009, 3:12 PM   #104

Hi Ronaldkwok,

I'm intensively thinking right now about replacement my Sanyo Xacti HD700 camera with Panasonic Lumix ZS3/TZ7. As I've understood you have expirence with Lumix.
It means move from "good video/poor still" to "good still/not-bad video".

What do you think about such move?

Thank you in advance,
FZKAP
FZKAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2009, 1:26 AM   #105

I wonder if amazon.com are ever going to stock this model. They have the other models. It doesn't even seem to be imminent as they usually have it listed with a date it will be in stock.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2009, 2:34 AM   #106

Hi FZKAP,

I have a Lumix FZ18 and I am happy with the 18X zoom. I believe Lumix has one of the best OIS in the business. I suppose any decent still camera will do better than the Sanyo if you just want to takephotos so if your primary purpose is still photography then a Lumix should be fine. You may want to check some reviews to see if the model your mentioned meets your needs. I am not too concerned about the still camera capability of the Sanyo since it is for my wife and hermain purpose is for video; for photos I'll be using my Lumix.
ronaldkwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2009, 7:56 AM   #107

Hi,

I am having some strange issues with clips at 1920 x 1080 @ 60 fps

I'v downloaded this sample and I see it perfect on any player.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonalDuc View Post
BUT, when I try to play a clip I made with my Xacti HD2000 at the exact same resolution and fps the players such as QuickTime or VLC can't handle it very well.

This is what I see during the playback:

This is strange becouse both clips have the same properties but one I can see perfect but the other not so good.

My clip is staight from the camera and the other one is said to be too.

I would thank a lot any suggestions or aproach on what is happening here.
Pepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2009, 1:58 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev2010 View Post
DonalDuc wrote:
Reading the review now but came across this and had to laugh:

"now records video in 60p instead of the 30p on the 1010, and has better video bitrates for better video quality from 12Mbps to now 24Mbps. The higher your bitrate the "bigger" will be your video files but with increased quality."

Are they too stupid to realize the 24mbps bitrate is so because the frame rate is doubled? I mean, 1080/30p's highestbitrate is 12mbps. So, it only makes sense the 1080/60p mode is 24mbps. They make it sound like you get better quality cause of a higher bitrate when that's not exactly the case. The bitrate is still proportional. However, the interlaced mode has been bumped up to 16mbps which is a nice increase in quality.
Rev.
All other things being equal, the quality should be much better at 24MBps. True, you have the same number of bits per frame, but you have twice as many frames. That doubles the quality right there. Then, because each frame is separated less in time from the previous one, there is less motion between them and therefore potentially fewer motion artifacts and the bits can be used to record more detail.

In lower light, you are limited by the higher shutter speed: 1/60 minimum exposure vs 1/30 minimum. However, if this becomes a problem, you can average frames together to reduce the video to 1080/30P and get more or less the same thing you would have gotten if you filmed in 30P, though there are some subtle differences. Readout noise will be reduced by 0.707 instead of 0.5 but photon noise will be reduced by about 0.5. Summing after compression isn't the same as summing before. If you aren't limited by low light, you also have the choice of either summing adjacent frames or discarding alternate frames when producing a 30P product, one produces a more blurred effect like long exposures and one a little more stroboscopic light fast shutter speed. With 60P raw footage, you have the make 60P, 30P, or 30i products that are almost as good as if you shot in those formats to start with and transcoding 60P to 24P will do less damage than transcoding from 30P. If only you had 120P footage, you could transcode to 60P, 30P, 30I, and 24P without loss of quality, other than the inherent loss of the lower frame rate - but fewer artifacts of conversion.

Chromakey work will benefit from having less area during which the camera sees both subject and chromakey screen during one frame.
Other forms of computer processing, while requiring more CPU power,
also can benefit from the extra information.

Still frames will be less blurred (unless, of course, you have so much light that the shutter speed was equally fast in both modes).

24Mbps means you have twice as much information, so it really is a significant improvement in quality, provided they didn't botch anything. Comparisons between bitrates from different encoders, however, are questionable.
whitis is offline   Reply With Quote