Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Mar 14, 2009, 6:24 PM   #1

Hi Everyone;

Been checking around, and searched, but can't find any mention of this problem (if it is a problem) anywhere on the web. I apologize in advance for the length of my post.

I just picked up an HD1010 camcorder running a Patriot 16GB Class 6 SDHC card, and have noticed that the video appears to be jerky. This is my first flash card based camcorder, and compared to my ol' Canon miniDV camcorder, when I pan across a scene, or try to hold the camera by hand, there is some jerkiness in the 1010 that is not present in my old Canon DV. I can't really think of the words to describe it, kind of like the jerkiness in watching a youtube video. The picture quality is amazing, though, when not moving the camcorder. I have sunset video from Jamaica that is stunning. But as soon as I move the camera in my hand - jerk jerk...

I am presently running 1080i 60fps as this seems to perform better than 1080p 30fps on my TV (older Hitachi 1080i only). 1080p on my 1010 really seems to be ridden with motion picture style artifacts, even on the camcorder's own viewscreen. Motion stabilizer seems to help, but any abrupt motion gives this "digital" jerkiness.

Thinking it may be an SD card issue, I tried an older 2GB SD high speed (133x) card, but the results were the same.

My settings:

Focus - people, landscape

Focus mode - 9-AF

Exp measure - multi

ISO - auto

White balance - Auto

Exposure - Program

Face Chaser - off

High Sensitivity - off

Digital zoom - off

Image settings - normal

Flicker Reduction - off (tried on and off, no change)

Do all these flash based camcorders produce this type of artifact? I guess what I'm asking, is when you pan your 1010 around (slowly of course) by hand, are your videos utterly smooth, or is there any kind of digital jerks or studders to the image?

Thanks for your help...my first post!!

Rick
Ricketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2009, 7:46 PM   #2

I don't really understand what your question is but I am assuming you are talking about "camera Shake". All Cameras have it and All cameras no matter how good it is requires a stabalizer such a s a glide cam or a steadycam. You can even balance a tripod and get picture perfect motion. There are softwares as well which will fix the issues.

If you are talking about "jerky video" You failed to mention mention if the playback was on a HDtv or a PC. your pc spec may bee too low, try reformatting your sd card, or it is an incompatible sd card. Try another brand.

After you verified you tried these and still "jerky video" persists, try returning the unit for it may be a defect.

I have no motion problem. I record at [email protected] just because 1080i is crap compared to [email protected] for still video, 1080 is the way to go, for fast motion, its 60fps and not fields per sec.

hope this helps.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2009, 10:23 PM   #3

Hi Cresho;

Thanks for the quick reply, its very much appreciated. I understand camera shake, my DV camcorder has it as well, but the shake in it was of a much more "fluid" nature, for wont of a better term. The shake in the 1010 seems much more vivid, I guess you could call it, almost as if there is a frame missing or something, it is un-natural, compared to the DV cam. That's what led me to try the 2GB high speed card, I thought maybe the 1010 was dropping frames or something, like the card couldn't keep up to the recording bitstream. Butthe 2GB cardalso acted the same way.

I mentioned that my playback was on an older Hitachi 1080i HDTV. I have yet to try it on my PC, as I believe I have to download a codec forthe H.264 formatto work, still learning the lingo.

Doing a little more research tonight, and reading that the video format will play on the PS3, I gave it a try. My PS3 is hooked up to the same TV through a HDMI to DVI adapter (that's how old the TV is...)I popped in the SDHC card from the 1010 into the PS3 and the video footage is much better. No where near as jerky as watching it through the 1010's docking station w/ component cables. Its still a little jerky, but much more fluid looking. So maybe its a combination of issues causing the result.

You mentioned trying another SDHC card, what brand and size are you using that seems to give you good performance? I'm willing to try a third card. Both cards that I have tried were formatted in the camera before use.

Thanks again,

Rick
Old Mar 15, 2009, 1:51 AM   #4

I use a a-data 16gb.
Old Mar 15, 2009, 2:02 AM   #5

I would try it on your PC with the K-Lite basic codec pack installed. This will give you Media Player Classic-home cinema to play your videos with, which I have found is even better than VideoLan VLC player. Until the software catches up I think interlaced video is just too difficult to work with.

I use a Class 2 SD-HC card in my HD1010 and it works fine. the speed of the cards apparently goes up to class 6.

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...codec_pack.htm
relate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2009, 11:16 AM   #6

I tried the K-Lite basic codec pack, but have had no luck getting it to work on my PC, I can't get it to recognize the files from the Xacti folder. Hoping I get some extra time this week to play with it. May be a Vista issue...

Did more research last night (its amazing what you can find using the right search terms) and there has been a fair number of complaints about the Image Stabilizer, since its not an optical stabilizer, and this may be part of the issue, as some users have indicated the exact same symptoms as I have. If I pan very slowly, the stabilizer seems to do its job, but a quicker movement seems to make the video really start to jitter around. Still experimenting. I also found out the auto exposure seems to slip to 1/30th of a second even in medium light situations, which would explain why our first semi dim footage in a hotel room on the way to Jamaica was very jerky. The brighter scenes later were better. I am going to try shutter settings as my next experiment...

Thanks again, I'll keep everyone posted.

Rick
Old Mar 15, 2009, 5:48 PM   #7

try downloading this codec pack and remove klite.

ffdshow_rev2630_20090122_clsid.exe for the codec.

I built a homemade glidecam for such occasions. If i hold the camera stationary, its fine and people walking by is fine. When I start moving around, I need to hold it extra steady. The darn camera is so lite that it is jerky. Your arm muscle stabalizers cannot compensates and over compensates.

Try putting it on a tripod and balance it. use the tripod as a steadycam. THis works very well.

If you get creative like I did, you can build your own steadycam or glidecam. I spent 15 bucks on parts and my results are way awsome. I don't recommend building one if you hate doing stuff like this but for others, it is way cool.

here is an example.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1aPbwcqquk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLxqS...eature=related

and home built ones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTLMf27mVB4

and pro versions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udxJUCzbjYA
Old Mar 15, 2009, 7:26 PM   #8

Thank you very much Cresho for your video on the tri-pod stabilizer. I had heard about using a tri-pod and tried just attaching my camera to it and found it didn't work very well. Then I saw your video and noticed I missed out on the vital part of finding the balancing point in the horizontal where you hold onto the tri-pod. Thanks again, I am now off to experiment.
relate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2009, 8:46 PM   #9

I'm still kind of brain-dead on the whole ffdshow thing. I have it installed, if I open WMP, go to tool/options/DVD/advanced, I can see all the options available through ffdshow, but still have no luck getting the files to play on the PC.

So...the stupid question of the day, I am pulling the SDHC card from the HD1010 and mounting it in my PC. Is this wrong? The next step I will try is to move the HD1010 docking station from my TV and running it via usb directly into the PC, using the 1010 this way. Maybe this is the way I was supposed to do it all along. Reading material is hard to come by for a noob in any form that makes sense to me at the moment.

I am still going to try playing with the shutter speed next go around, now that my wife's family has left after spending the weekend with us.

Cresho, thanks for the youtube videos, that's a great way to stabilize my camcorder!

I'll let everyone know how I make out, thanks again,

Rick
Old Mar 15, 2009, 9:57 PM   #10

relate2 wrote:
Quote:
Thank you very much Cresho for your video on the tri-pod stabilizer. I had heard about using a tri-pod and tried just attaching my camera to it and found it didn't work very well. Then I saw your video and noticed I missed out on the vital part of finding the balancing point in the horizontal where you hold onto the tri-pod. Thanks again, I am now off to experiment.
those guys are not me. HAHA!

here..i did a research and this looks promising. i think i am going to buy one just because mines shifts like the scenes seen in the bourne supremacy and i get dizzy.

look at this one..very affordable.

http://www.cameragrip.co.uk/acatalog/info_263.html

look at the video samples. It is amazing! anyway, its about 8 times cheaper than steadycam merlin and does same quality from what I have seen in demos. The only problem is everytime you set it up, it needs calibration.