Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Mar 18, 2009, 5:03 AM   #1

Hello everybody.
I've just joined the forum and I could use some help from you.

I'm about ready to buy my 1st video camera. I have a Panasonic TZ5 (nice video but with various shortcomings) but I'm looking for something more video-oriented.

My initial choice was Sanyo HD700 - the price was right but based on the reviews it left a lot to be desired.
Yesterday, I did a research on the 2 new Sanyos: VPC-TH1 and VPC-CG10.
I can find them in an affordable price but I am unable to decide which one to get, as most of the specification is identical.

TH1 has a smaller lens but a huge optical zoom and it is bulkier but has an amazing battery life. It also has the usual camcorder barrel shape.
On the other hand CG10 lens looks superior, but with a compromise on the zoom's side, and it's a lot more portable. Its shape is pistol-like.

Sanyo's announcement states a retail price of $300 and $200 respectively.
My research turned out that I can buy the 2 of them for a similar price.

My needs are as good footage as possible in all conditions, portability matters but shooting stills does not matter (thanx to the TZ5).
I also do not have a clue about which of the two shapes (barrel vs. pistol) is the most comfortable.
Another thing is that they've just arrived and I've seen no footage or reviews of them at all.

Thank you all in advance for your opinion on this, and sorry for the post's size.
Happy to have joined the forum!
digitalexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2009, 9:02 PM   #2

I have been in a similar thought process although I am edging towards the HD2000 now.

I actually tried out a HD700. The video during the day was great but indoors it was much noisier than my C40 and oddly flash photos seemed to be noisier as well! Also the narrow field of view with pronounced barrel distortation was enough for me to call it a day and return it. It was a shame as I think Sanyo had the beginnings of a great camera in this model. I just hope the CG10 lens at least is better than the HD700!

I actually prefer the pistol grip design. It feels more comfortable and natural but one of the problems with the pistol grip cameras is their poor battery life. My Sanyo C40 is lucky to last 50 minutes for instance. Their design doesn't allow for an extended battery like traditional camcorders although it seems neither does the 'traditional looking' VPC-TH1 which is why the extended battery life over over 3 hours is tempting.

I wonder why the TH1 only has a 2MP Sensor though? I was hoping this might mean that it would have better low light capability than the CG10. If it was significantly better then that would be enough for me to put up with only 2MP stills! Having said that I did see one test video from a TH1 where the user said the indoor video wasn't that good, but I am not sure what he was referring to as it looked bright and decent enough to me but then again it wasn't uploaded in HD quality only HQ quality. If the indoor quality was the same as the CG10, then the CG10 would be better since you would have the option of higher resolution still images though of course you would have poorer battery life.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2009, 4:06 AM   #3

@rgvcam: thank you for your answer

The TH1 has a 1/6" CMOS lens (1.1 MP) and the CG10 a 1/2.33" CMOS lens (10.66 MP).
Since I do not know much about lenses, would someone care to explain the difference (I mean besides the obvious size and megapixel difference)?
I thought that a bigger lens would let more light pass through and as a consequence would produce better footage in low-light conditions.

On the other hand seeing the release photos of those devices, the TH1 smaller lens looks a lot bigger visually, compared to the one of the tiny CG10. That looks odd to me, but I'm sure there's an explanation for this which I'm not aware of.

Also the specs for the low light sensitivity say: "11 lux - Auto mode - 1/30sec and 3 lux - High-sensitivity/Lamp mode - 1/15sec" for TH1 and "16 lux - Auto mode - 1/30sec and 4 lux - High-sensitivity/Lamp mode - 1/15sec" for CG10 respectively.
Could anyonwe explain the meaning of those in simple words?

As I have a digital camera that fulfills my still shot needs, I don't care about the megapixels that the lens can produce.
My needs is as good footage as possible in the most conditions, and I'd be happy if I could manage to get this with a low megapixel camera.

I consider the 30x optical zoom of the TH1 to be a big plus but if the final footage of the 2 is of equal quality, I'd trade it for the portability of CG10, even with the stated battery life loss.
But if for some reason the bulkier TH1 produces better video results (which is maybe the reason for its higher retail price?) I would go for it.

If anyone here can answer those questions even by looking solely at the specs, it would be much of a help.
And also if you bump into a test footage or a review, please provide the link!
digitalexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2009, 11:44 AM   #4

Hi,
Can't help you with a comparison, but I just got a CG10 myself.
My background - other cameras owned include an ancient Kodak (DC100 or something like that), Nikon Coolpix (also v old one, forget model #), Xacti C5, Casio Exilim V7, Canon EOS 300D, Nikon D40. Still have the C5 and D40.
Basically, uses are divided into "purse cam/compact" - vid + photo, and "serious cam/DSLR" - photo only. Though for a while there, with C5 and V7, both my wife and I had a "purse cam" (we found that otherwise there were lots of photos/film of myself and the kids, but none of my wife!).
C5 - beautiful design, v. compact, excellent robust metal case - it has had a fair beating over the years, and its still going strong. OK 4:3 ratio videol; fairly noisy photos. Low light video/photo - crap.
V7 - still compact, great zoom, very nice 16:9 SD video, light light video much better than C5. Bought this to replace the C5 to try and improve light light performance for video especially (lots of kiddy shots indoors). Not so fussed about low light photography (use DSLR for that).
V7, though, with folding lens design, seemed VERY fragile. Sent in for repair once when optics got out of alignment (hadn't been particularly rough with it, I thought), then it died in a drop to concrete in car park.
Contenders - Wanted reasonable low light video, and 16:9 HD (720p or 1080p) seeing at the spec was now available, all in a reasonably handy form factor -> Casio FS10, Casio FC100, Exilim CG10. Wary of folding lenses now - scratch FS10. FC100 not available in Australia yet - scratch that. Back to Xacti CG10, then.
First impressions - a lot bigger than C5. Horrible plastic case, compared to C5. But very nice audio/video. Shooting indoors at night, video perfectly acceptable to me for family stuff - happy with how it looks on our 42" Panasonic full HD plasma. Even wife was impressed, suprisingly, she particularly noted the clarity of the audio. Concerns - battery even smaller than C5 in capacity - we'll see how long it lasts (C5 shoots about 45 min of video before crapping out - so the CG10 had better last that long or I'll be pretty unhappy!). Shooting photo in the middle of video when in 720p 16:9 format seems not to pause video (as it did with C5), but then only gives you a 1mp still.
At this point - I'm thinking C5 will be in my wife's purse (compact design, metal case to withstand keys in the purse, shooting mostly outdoors video/photo). CG10 will be the 2nd compact for family outings to shoot more "archival" HD video at special events, plus any home video.
Hope this is helpful.

LimaFoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2009, 6:16 PM   #5

Hi LimaFoxtrot,

I'm in similar situation as you (I use my D70 for the nice pictures for special occasion) and I'm considering the CG10 for a easy to carry, causal point and shoot for video and pictures. I too have a 42" Panasonic plasma for viewing the videos thru my computer.

The price of the CG10 is so attractive. From what you describe, it seems like a very good camcorder. Would be great to see some samples. Is it possible for you to post some video (action and night shots) and pictures (outdoor/indoor)? Thanks in advance.

yoshi900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2009, 7:13 PM   #6

hi
yes this cg10 seems good, but does it have the same narrow field of view as the hd700, i saw the specs on sanyo website but i dont understand much on lences?
mlkwestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2009, 6:13 AM   #7

Can you tell me if the CG10 still has a standard mini USB connector on the bottom like the CG65, and that this still charges the CG10? I found this handy as a standard balckberry charger charges my CG65 without the need for an external battery charger, handy on short business trips, and I'm thinking of plunging into the world of HD (well, 720 HD anyway!)
vincesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2009, 10:35 AM   #8

Hi, will try to get around to posting some video/stills some time.
Wide angle is OK - not spectacular, but OK.
To give you some idea, panning from a 60 watt equiv light source in a medium sized living room - nice clear video up to about 3m from the light source, then it goes to crap - but you still get the idea of what's happening through the noise.
Connector on the bottom of the unit is not standard USB/miniUSB. I'll check, but I'm pretty sure its data only (i.e. not for charging).
LimaFoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2009, 4:19 AM   #9

"Connector on the bottom of the unit is not standard USB/miniUSB. I'll check, but I'm pretty sure its data only (i.e. not for charging). "

Thanks for that info, that's a real disappointment to me, as I thought that was a stroke of genius with the CG65 etc.

vincesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2009, 12:24 PM   #10

may i ask where can you buy a CG10 now and how much? I look at mostly US online stores selling at USD$199.99 but all on pre-order as its not available yet in the US.

from HK stores, they are still expensive, selling almost for $300

thanks in advance
pajamas is offline   Reply With Quote