Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Apr 3, 2009, 3:36 PM   #11

It must be technically impossible to make wide angle zoom lens inside small camcorder. I haven't heard any wide angle zoom lens inside video camera, wide angle lenses are always external lenses not internal, usually camcorders focal lenghts starts from above 40>mm.
Quenaelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2009, 1:08 PM   #12

Well it seems that your worry didn't bear itself out.. Look at this youtube comparison video between the CG10 and Flip Mino HD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NhX9qyd_jE

CG10 wins substantially over the Mino HD.. Looks pretty good.
Chad Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2009, 3:10 PM   #13

I have always regarded sanyo as "sanyo of Hybrids" as to "Nikon of Pictures"

It has no competition.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2009, 9:19 PM   #14

Yes Chad Dub, it appears that I worried for nothing. The field of view appears to be most excellent, and the only minor thing (that was to be expected because of a cmos sensor) is the rolling shutter... most visible on movement with a zoomed shot.
subc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2009, 11:25 PM   #15

pajamas wrote:
Quote:
okay so tell me which other camcorder has a better wide angle lens?
I use a Kodak V1073 and Z1012IS for general purpose quick video, and one of my Canon HF100s for real video. The Z1012IS has a 33mm optically stabilized lens for 720p video... the V1073 is 37mm optically stabilized.

I remember how much field of view my HD700 lost when I switched on stabilization

This clip was filmed completely with the V1073 and Z1012:
http://vimeo.com/1811379
you can tell which camera is in use by listening for the stereo audio from the Z1012...

I will be in China in two weeks time, and am looking forward to haggling over an HD2000 Let's see what they sell for in the Beijing street markets

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2009, 1:53 AM   #16

Amazon delayed shipping my pre-order by several weeks, so I went and picked up the red RadioShack one today.. Don't love the red, but at a $50 discount, I can't complain. So far so good.. Low light performance isn't great, but it's better than I expected. Stills are mediocre, but passable. HD Video in decent light is really good so far.
Chad Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2009, 8:50 AM   #17

Chad Dub wrote:
Quote:
Amazon delayed shipping my pre-order by several weeks, so I went and picked up the red RadioShack one today.. Don't love the red, but at a $50 discount, I can't complain.* So far so good.. Low light performance isn't great, but it's better than I expected.* Stills are mediocre, but passable.* HD Video in decent light is really good so far.
Chad can you check out your camera and see if it works like I mention here ( http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...76&forum_id=27 ). I'm pretty sure it's just the way it is unfortunately but, just want to make sure. It's not a deal breaker for me since i love the camera in every other way. It's my only gripe.
iamnotmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2009, 6:37 AM   #18

Updating my previous post on wide angle lenses, I recently bought a Panasonic ZS3, which has AVCHD-lite 720p video (indefinite record time) and a 25mm wide angle lens.

Unlike my 33mm lens on the Kodak, the 25mm actually presents problems. You get so close to your subjects that perspective makes things look out of whack. So if you are 4ft away from one person, and 8feet away from another, then one looks twice as large. With a less-wide-angle lens this is not so much of a problem, as you tend not to get so close.

Anyway, I am getting used to it, and the 25mm sure is good for landscapes, etc. Also, the x12 optical zoom, and optical image stabilization are really nice.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 6:40 PM   #19

My CG10 arrived today.
My main complaint at this point is that at low light levels the noise consists of horizontal lines across the field of view. Noisy lines, of course, but rather than random dots of noise I see random noisy lines, whether noise reduction is on or off, whether High Sensitivity is on or off. Is this the normal behavior for the CG10?
Old Nov 2, 2009, 10:49 PM   #20

Trevmar, I've had a CG10 since May of this year and haven't seen the horizontal line problem on my unit under low light levels. Overall I've been pretty pleased with the unit.
WoodHawk is offline   Reply With Quote