Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Apr 1, 2009, 8:39 AM   #1

Anyone comparing the HD2000 to TZ7 for all around pocket hybrid? I think the HD2000 looks likes it tops the TZ7 in most specs (including price). But in practice the picture quality and auto focus on the xacti cameras have been less than stellar.

I have upgraded from Xacti HD1 to HD1000 and I have been generally pleased. I think the HD1000 was a huge step up in low light video performance but a step back in overall picture quality.

HD2000 pros
--1080p video
--f1.8 lens

TZ7 pros
--? picture quality
--AVCHD codec
--? Better movie autofocus

Thanks,
Hotoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 1, 2009, 12:21 PM   #2

Once you can figure out the steadycam part or can handle holding the camera with 2 hands, this unit shines.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2009, 1:21 PM   #3

I agree, the HD1000 shoots some fantastic video. Now I am shooting more HD since quicktime finally upgraded to work with sanyo's H264 codec. The auto focus past about 7x zoom seems to falter.

The picture quality to which I was referring was still shots. I know it is not all about the megapixel , but I think I would appreciate more. Much of that is due to my need to crop almost every shot due to my shortcomings as a photographer. Perhaps the 8MP on the HD2000 helps. I think the TZ7 would be nice but a huge step down going from the 1.8 to the 3.5 lens :-(
Hotoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2009, 11:14 AM   #4

Hotoru wrote:
Quote:
TZ7 pros
--AVCHD codec
AVCHD is NOT a pro, it's a con. That format is a pain to work with. Not nearly as much of a problem with the Xacti's AVC format.

I have to disagree about the image quality of the HDx000 series as being "less than stellar". I think the picture is fantastic, especially for such a small cam. I've been very happy with all the footage I've taken with my HD1000 when viewing it on my 52" 1080 Samung LCDHDTV. The only thing I have a qualm about is the sometimes darker than expected image when filming indoors, which I've been manually resolving by adjusting the exposure compensation. The new HD2000 has fixed that and gotten the exposure and sensitivity adjusted correctly.

You also forgot to mention 1080/60P as a pro on the Xacti side. They say they greatly improved the autofocus as well, but until I've used it in person I can't say whether that's true or not.

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote