Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Apr 4, 2009, 7:32 PM   #1

Hi,

I consider buying a wide lens for my HD2000 as it is (to me) mandatory for group people closeshots.

Has anyone tested the official sanyo semi fisheye (vcp-l04f) ? I have seen many Hong kong cheap wide angle lenses (one of which I had bought for my former HD1000), and I wonder how better is the officiel one (like 5 times as much expensive).

For sure, zooming with that cheap wide lense produced a very blurry image, but I guess this isn't really designed for that use case anyway.

All comments welcome !

Thanks

eaullas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2009, 3:34 AM   #2

I use the Sanyo semi-fisheye lens on my HD1010. I can zoom but only a little or as you say it goes blurry. With my hang gliding videos though I need the widest field of view possible as the camera is mounted only 1-2 feet away from me. I don't know how far you could zoom with just the normal Sanyo wide angle lens. I have heard though from people who have tried both that you are better off getting the Semi-fisheye.

Regarding the cheap ebay wide angle lens's I have never tried one. Something though I have found as a general rule is "The quality of what I buy lives on long after the price is forgotten."
relate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2009, 6:23 AM   #3

Sounds wise..

Thanks for the advice.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 6:13 AM   #4

I'm not sure if that lens will fit. I believe it's a compression fitting for the 1000/1010. I have used the 1.6x telephoto and the 0.4x wide/macro (which is 2 pieces) lenses on my HD2000 and have only had vignetting on the widest zoom factor on the 1.6x. Let me know how you make out, I am curious to purchase this 'semi-fisheye" as well.
JAVSystems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2009, 10:07 AM   #5

Try fish eye FEWA 37mm from Century it is stunning for your work! See results at www.vimeo.com/xacti
Global DVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2009, 11:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVSystems View Post
I'm not sure if that lens will fit. I believe it's a compression fitting for the 1000/1010. I have used the 1.6x telephoto and the 0.4x wide/macro (which is 2 pieces) lenses on my HD2000 and have only had vignetting on the widest zoom factor on the 1.6x. Let me know how you make out, I am curious to purchase this 'semi-fisheye" as well.
It definitely fits, as well as fot 1000/1010
To be honest, I don't see any striking image quality difference compared to the cheap Hong kong wide angle I had for the 1000 (except for the more pronounced fisheye effect)
You get very visible vignetting on wide angle for the photo, a bit less for the video. You can zoom a bit to make it go away, but if you zoom too much, you will get a very blurry picture.

Hope this helps :-)
Old Jun 12, 2009, 11:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaullas View Post
It definitely fits, as well as fot 1000/1010
To be honest, I don't see any striking image quality difference compared to the cheap Hong kong wide angle I had for the 1000 (except for the more pronounced fisheye effect)
You get very visible vignetting on wide angle for the photo, a bit less for the video. You can zoom a bit to make it go away, but if you zoom too much, you will get a very blurry picture.

Hope this helps :-)

Could you post some photos at wide, medium and telephoto zoom setting with Sanyo semi fish-eye lens mounted on? thank you very much.
easyliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2009, 10:13 PM   #8

I do not have photos using the Sanyo semi fisheye lens but I do have this video showing the difference between the standard lens, a Raynox 660pro wide angle lens and the Sanyo Semi-fisheye lens.

I can zoom with the Sanyo Semi-fisheye lens but not very far before the picture gets blurry. Although seeing as though I want it for the widest view for my hang gliding it is not a problem.

http://www.vimeo.com/1741337
Old Jun 13, 2009, 5:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by relate2 View Post
I do not have photos using the Sanyo semi fisheye lens but I do have this video showing the difference between the standard lens, a Raynox 660pro wide angle lens and the Sanyo Semi-fisheye lens.

I can zoom with the Sanyo Semi-fisheye lens but not very far before the picture gets blurry. Although seeing as though I want it for the widest view for my hang gliding it is not a problem.

http://www.vimeo.com/1741337

Very useful video, thank you very much. I like strong wide angle views so I'm planning to buy a Sanyo HD2000 with 0,4x lens. Do you think it's worth of?

Vignetting at wider angle is strong, but zooming a bit until it reduces strongly, still seems to get a wider angle than Raynox adapter. Isn't it?

Do you also have a video showing zoom's limits before blur becames inacceptable? If limits aren't much narrow I could enjoy very much keeping the lens always on with a good zooming margin.
easyliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2009, 7:39 AM   #10

The zooming margins are small, the limit is you can zoom up to 4X out of 10X before the blurring happens. I take my lens off if I want to zoom much at all. Also the Sanyo Semi-fisheye I have seen on the HD2000 appears to have much less vignetting than what appears on mine.

One other point the Sanyo Semi-Fisheye lens is also a macro lens. If you screw off the front part it turns into a macro lens. Another thing it is much smaller than the Sanyo wide angle lens, although I think you can zoom more with the wide angle lens. Lastly the Raynox 6600 pro lens is very big and heavy compared to the Sanyo lens and makes the camera much too big to fit in your pocket.