Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Apr 18, 2009, 6:17 PM   #1

Is there any noticeable difference in video quality between the FH1 and the HD2000?

Although I would prefer the pistol grip design of the HD2000, the FH1 is tempting considering it's at least $100 cheaper. Sure the HD2000 has the hot shoe and mic input but I have to be honest I'd probably never use them anyway.

I was thinking of the TH1 at first due to impressive battery life but noticed that the FH1 video seems to look much nicer even when downsized to 720p.

Those who have the FH1 or HD2000, do you really get anywhere near the stated 2 hours recording time? I have tended to find that actual real life run time always seems to be much less than stated.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2009, 12:46 AM   #2

720p 1 hour and 30 minutes. and this fills the 16gb . for 3 hours, you need 2 batteries and 1 32gb sd card. This is on an hd1000
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2009, 9:03 AM   #3

I guess 1 1/2 hours isn't too bad. It's enough for me to film a kids party etc. Certainly better than the 40-50 minutes I get on my C40!

If the TH1 has a much longer battery life and it's max is 720p I wonder why the FH1/HD2000 doesn't get anywhere near that when they film in 720p since they don't mention the same battery life at that resolution. I would assume that the 1080P modes would use more battery power than the lower resolution modes though.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 11:25 AM   #4

I don't think there's supposed to be any difference between the FH1 and HD2000 when it comes it video quality. I too prefer the pistol grip and wonder when they plan to release it here in the USA. Oh, and I'm pretty sure the shoe is a cold shoe like on previous models.

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2009, 9:00 PM   #5

Rev2010, yes you're right I meant accessory shoe. I guess I was thinking of my SLR!

Well there are some places that seem to sell it here but they are not exactly the most reputable. I am waiting to see if amazon.com or similar stocks it. They do seem to announce their products way ahead of when they officially sell them.

I assume the accessory shoe is a standard size? I don't see it actually mentioned in Sanyo's own specs or at least I couldn't find it. I don't understand why most camcorders don't seem to have an accessory shoe. My Brother-in-laws Panasonic DVD camcorder is one of the few that do and it comes in handy for using a video light for darker situations.

I tried a Canon HF100 mainly because of the overwhelming positive reviews and the fact that it has OIS but was disappointed in the video color saturation, especially the reds which looked more pink to myself and my wife. The video from the few clips I have seen so far from the FH1/HD2000 seem more natural and not as saturated which I prefer. Also I already have the ability to edit MP4 video much more easily than AVCHD.

The other advantage that seems to be missing from the FH1 is the battery design doesn't seem to allow extended batteries as regular tradtional camcorders allow. Having said that perhaps later on they could supply an extended batteries with a new cover like some other devices do?
Old Apr 20, 2009, 8:48 PM   #6

The shoe is the standard size, at least it is on the HD1000, should be the same on the HD2000. In regard to the battery,I have two batteries fully charged. Since you can't record long enoughto drain one battery due to the fat32 file size limitation, it's not a problem generally to just swap out the battery. Interesting that you mention the color saturation. I've always been extremely happy with the HD1000 and the vids I've seen from the HD2000 look even more natural! I like how they finally got the exposure settings perfected for a correct gamma. Looks even moreamazing now!

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2009, 8:51 PM   #7

i have the CG6 so i was thinking the HD2000 would be a nice upgrade, but the FH1 is cheaper and comes with a bigger screen. i know the HD2000 has some more features added but not big of a deal for me. wish i could get my hand on both to compare..haven't seen the HD2000 yet in B&M stores.
rrbarcarse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2009, 12:48 AM   #8

The HD2000 actually has a bigger lens than the FH1, so will be better in low lighting conditions.
cocomonk22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2009, 7:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvcam View Post
I guess 1 1/2 hours isn't too bad. It's enough for me to film a kids party etc. Certainly better than the 40-50 minutes I get on my C40!

If the TH1 has a much longer battery life and it's max is 720p I wonder why the FH1/HD2000 doesn't get anywhere near that when they film in 720p since they don't mention the same battery life at that resolution. I would assume that the 1080P modes would use more battery power than the lower resolution modes though.
I have an FH1 and when I shoot in 720p30, the battery meter extends considerably beyond the 120 min of the 1080p60 setting. (maybe 180min? not sure).
John Araki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2009, 8:44 AM   #10

Im looking for a camcorder which can shot in HDV progressive mode in 60fps at a low cost, with good video quality and also small and Sanyo's FH1 and HD2000 seems to be the best choice (maybe the only one).

I want to use it on a housing shoting underwater but my first concern is about the temperature that the cam can reach. Im now using Sony HVR A1 but it gets really hot and it water blurs inside the housing after o short time, so Im not gonna use it anymore underwater.

I have consider on getting Canon EOS 7D but shotting at 60 fps is an temperature issue as well, as I've been reading on several foruns. (It would be perfect form me 'cos Im a photgrapher as well, but...)

Im intend to use it in full resolution record (1920x1080p) with 60fps... and its important to me because Im shooting sports and Im really want do slow motion clips, so consider this setup as a main use.
So Sanyo can shot at 60fps without getting too hot??

Another question is about HD2000 pistol. I was wondering if I could shot without opening the LCD display. Looking to its pictures I couldn't find any viewfinder which make me suppose that I couldn't shot without oppening the LCD display. Is that true or just my concern?? And also I couldn't find any viewfinder on FH1 as well.

Another question is about battery. How long can I record in max resolution 60fps with the original battery?? Is it easy to find spare batteries??

Last edited by lgmmachado; Dec 28, 2009 at 8:47 AM. Reason: Add information
lgmmachado is offline   Reply With Quote