Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old May 21, 2009, 2:42 PM   #11

Another great suggestion sir. I had not tried that one yet. I had played around with a couple of the avi export options but nothing came out as good as your suggestions. File size is decent and the video looks spectacular! Thanks again!

Here is a short vid using those settings. Looks even better when you download it! I am definitely going to use these settings from now on.

http://vimeo.com/4770769

Last edited by Matty S.; May 21, 2009 at 3:50 PM.
Matty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2009, 4:06 PM   #12

i fixed a small issue which will benefit lots of people with the sony avc

refer to this part and change it to this

Entropy Coding: CAVLC
frame rate: 59.940000

DUDE that looks sweet and its your videography and not vegas doing the awesome job

Hey use the settings i suggested. I did some reading and i think sony export suggestion is finalized. Let me know what you think. I ran out of time looking at pixel issues.

Last edited by Cresho; May 21, 2009 at 4:08 PM.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2009, 4:19 PM   #13

Thanks for the props Cresho. Why do you feel the CAVLC entropy is better than the latter? I can't seem to see much of a difference.
Old May 21, 2009, 5:15 PM   #14

motion vector prediction/decoding is done by these 2 types of algorythms. caba and calvc do the same thing pretty much but calvc is better decoded in xbox systems, lower end pc spec, and is more likely to utilize hardware accelerated gpu for video playback. cabac would have an issue with this.

Anyway, I red lots of posts regarding these 2 and have read confirmed reports but of course real testing by myself was not done and I can't comment further on this matter. People preffer calvc and also are complaining about needing tools for cabac to calvc conversion.

More information on this:
cabac has a better comression ratio but intensifies cpu usage during playback.
calvc is looser which causes files to be a bit bigger. during playback, it uses less cpu. quality is 10-17 percent less than cabac.

You are basically fighting between qualit vs compatibility here. I frankly cant see the difference.

Last edited by Cresho; May 21, 2009 at 5:53 PM.
Old May 21, 2009, 9:34 PM   #15

Well in that case I would still go with the CALVC because the difference in image is barely noticeable. And I would definitely say the majority of people out there dont have a computer exactly suited for viewing these high quality videos and could use a little extra taken off their CPU.

I have an old G4 Powerbook which I can use for most tasks but these HD videos CRUSH the CPU. I can't even view most VIMEO flicks on it! Boooooooooo!

Last edited by Matty S.; May 21, 2009 at 9:42 PM.
Old May 22, 2009, 12:18 PM   #16

hey matt, i just added a section on removing motion blur type. IT's only needed if you are reducing framerates. Why vegas has this sick option forced enabled all the time is beyond me. It is only usefull when going from ex. 60fps to 30fps. But having this enabled all the time seriously destroyes the final output from your video. Give it a shot! When you have a 60fps video and you add blur ontop of this, it really destroys it. removing disabling the option will seriously improve image quality!

I am aiming for quality!

Last edited by Cresho; May 23, 2009 at 3:19 PM.
Old May 26, 2009, 10:16 AM   #17

Cool Cresho, I'll give it a try, although I am not seeing that button in Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 9 which is what I have. Is this feature/option only available in the Pro 8 version?

Someone on Vimeo also suggested this, although I have not tried it yet:

"i render the most with the main concept mpeg2 container as 1280/720 hdv, profile high, bitrate 18k, 24 or 25 p.
vid-quality looks the same as the avc/mp4 container stuff. the advantage is that you can do a smart rendering of these mpeg2-files with vegas pro.
so first i do a raw cut of the native avchd-files and color corrections mostly with mbl plug in, then in the final cut with sounds pp. i can do a quick smart rendering.
for the online streams i convert these files with the super2009 to avi/h.264, frame rate between 3-6k fps.
24/25p. looks smooth on youtube and vimeo and on dvd as well."

When I have some time I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

Last edited by Matty S.; May 26, 2009 at 11:20 AM.
Old Jul 2, 2009, 2:46 PM   #18

I updated the tutorial. I just added information about vegas 9. You do not need to use mpeg4cam2avi because the wierd stripe artifact present in vegas 8 and below are not appearant in vegas 9. Just use the drag and drop methods as you would normaly would import your xacti videos.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 2:18 AM   #19

Matty, how did you resolve the "when I go to render my movie in Vegas and choose AVC/AAC mp4, the "custom" buttom becomes greyed out and will not allow me to change and of my video/audio render settings" problem that you were encountering. I have the same issue and it's driving me nuts. I am using Vegas Movie Studio 9 (not the Platinum or the Pro edition) -- thanks ahead of time.
hiro981 is offline   Reply With Quote