Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Apr 20, 2009, 2:57 PM   #1

This method is for windows xp system. I Don't use vista but I am aware of codec installers which allows this to work. Since I have no experience with this, I'll leave vista out. warning! ALWAYS KEEP YOUR ORIGINAL XACTI VIDEO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THESE ARE YOUR NEGATIVES. We are assuming you are using [email protected] so you might need to adjust accordingly.

needed software is of course vegas and these other files
First search for this file and install it and say next next next and dont change the options. ffdshow_rev2630_20090122_clsid.exe and then look for mp4cam2avi version 2.81 and install it. Also, you may want to install quicktimealt181.exe and MPEG_Streamclip_1.2.zip and MP4Cam2AVI_v2.81.zip

project settings in vegas(remember to set your project settings before you load your videos into the software)
================================================== ================================
================================================== ================================
video->
width:1280
height:720
field order:none
Pixel aspect ratio:1.0000
Output rotation:0
frame rate:59.940
pixel format:32-bit floating point
Compositing gamma:2.222
Full-resolution rendering quality:best
Motion blur type:gaussian
Deinterlace method:none
audio->
master bus mode: stereo
number of stereo busses:0
sample rate: 48000
bit depth:16
resample and stretch quality: best
Save as template: [email protected] and click "start all projects with these settings" if you wish. After you set your project settings, you can now import or drag and drop videos into your timeline.

There are 4 methods of importing (being added as time allowes)
1. Method "lossless way" and the method I currently use
----------------------------------------------------
Do not use this method if you are using vegas 9 (its fine if you drag and drop original files into the timeline). if you are using vegas 8 and below, you need to use this method to avoid wierd stripe artifacts on your final video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lets get you started with the "right format" to use. I will teach you the "lossless" way.

Use mp4cam2avi version 2.81 and nothing less. Do not use other versions.
Under action, batch conver many files to many files. Video format is "source Video". Audio Format is PCM uncompressed. change your avi size to max which is about 2gb and drop the files on the left side. choose a location where you want your output and press start. Conversion takes about 1-10 minutes for 10gb or depending on your hardisk data rate transfer.

2. the "quicktime" way:
Download and install quicktimealt181.exe http://www.filehippo.com/download_qu...ive/tech/2615/
download and extract and run the MPEG_Streamclip_1.2.zip http://www.squared5.com/

Install 1.8.1 and Do not use any of the newer versions. You can install a newer one after 1.8.1 is installed. you can now run mpeg streamclip after extracting the files into a folder.

Import your movies by clicking ->File->open Files. you highlight what you want and import them or just the single file.

to export, click file->export to quicktime.

at this point, I'll leave it up to you but in a bit, ill add my settings. Also, when you export, make sure to first try these codecs for export so you can import to vegas.
apple motion JPEG A
apple motion JPEG B
apple MPEG4 Compressor
use 100% quality. 50% will reveal artifacts..
(section being revised)

3. Method "Just import"
I found Vegas can import the video directly. This is okay but I have seen in bright colors, especially in red, some streaking of blocky smudged colors. This is why I see fit to use the other three methods methods of importing. It produces a more noiseless, artifact free results.
first pic reveals what happens when you use drag and drop method. Notice the orangy streaks on the rim of the toy. The whole image of the video is destroyed. Please refer to the image posted at bottom of this post.

Now you can add your video clips into vegas video editor. At this point, I will probably put up more information using other formats but I'll leave it alone.

After finishing your work, I will show you a few ways of exporting your videos.
1. RECOMMENDED!!! EXPORT RENDERING TO AVC AAC MP4 file. Sony Codec
----------------------------------------------------------
MP4 file using Sony avc/aac .mp4 which is much faster and better quality!
File->render as->Save as type: Sony AVC/AAC .mp4
We will now create a custom templete for ever to be used if you desire.
Template: default template
click on custom

project tab->video rendering quality->best

Video tab->
check include video
Video Format: AVC
frame size: Custom Frame Size
width 1280 height 720
profile: Main
Entropy Coding: CAVLC (note: calvc: for lower end systems and less cpu usage, cabac: high quality, high cpu usage)
frame rate: 59.940000
Field order: None
pixel aspect ratio: 1.0000
bit rate: 14,000,000

Audio tab->include audio is checked please
sample rate:48000
Bit rate:128000

IMPORTANT!!!!!!! Vegas video automatically applies motion blur to all videos. If you have a 60fps footage and with to retain as much as the original, 1 to 1 copy in vegas is hard and you need to go the extra step by disabling it. It is a button on your video timeline. Please reffer to bottom picture at the end of this post. Quality is lost if you have it enabled. The only reason you want this on is if you want to reduce framerate to prevent video flickering in your video for dvd playback. I will go further into the types of motion blur when i set up the dvd creation tutorial.

System tab->
Format: mp4

You can now save your template as
"xacti-720p-59.94-avc-aac-Sony_AVC" and blank the description.
When saving your flick, do not use "stretch video to fill output frame size"

2. EXPORT RENDERING TO AVC AAC MP4 file. mainconcept codec
----------------------------------------------------------
MP4 file using Mainconcept avc/aac .mp4
File->render as->Save as type: MainConcept AVC/AAC .mp4
Template: default template
click on custom

Video tab->
check include video
frame size: Custom Frame Size
width 1280 height 720
profile: Main
frame rate: 59.940
# of reference frames:2 and leave the checkmark for "use deblocking filter"
Variable bitrate: max bps 14000 and average 10000. If you use "two-pass", your results will be better but takes twice as long.

sample rate:48000
Bit rate:128000

"xacti-720p-59.94-avc-aac" and blank the description.
When saving your flick, do not use "stretch video to fill output frame size"

3. third way of exporting but Still being worked on due to artifact issue for xvid and mp3
--------------------------------------
The one I play with is this one: xvid and mp3(still needs tweaking for better results"
1. Search the internet for these 2 files and install them:
XviD-1.1.2-01112006.exe (if you use this, make sure you have a copy laying around incase you ant to distribute the video)
ra-codec12.zip (enabled mp3 audio encoding in vegas-not sure where it comes from)

2. after completing your masterpiece editing, you may want to configure your export/rendering options like this.
File->render as->Video for Windows
Template: default template (uncompressed)
click on custom

Video tab->
check include video
frame size: HDV 720
frame rate: 59.94
Video format: Xvid Mpeg-4 Codec (click configure)
for xvid, use unrestricted, single pass,
target quantizier 1.0
target bitrate 14000
then click okay (be aware that sometimes you need to keep an eye on these 2 particular settings because they might change)

Put a checkmark on "create an OpenDML Compatible file" which means to create a file begger than what avi was originally allowed to and i think it was 2gb. So now its unlimited. When saving your flick, do not use "stretch video to fill output frame size"

Audio format: mpeg layer-3
Attributes: (256kBits/s, 48000Hz Stereo

"xacti-720p-59.94-xvid-mp3"

If you decide to use this particular footage for dvd, I recommend you use 29.97 framerate in vegas. Vegas blurs in each frame instead of what most softwares do by using every other frame which causes video flickering perception. template
"xacti-720p-29.97-xvid-mp3"

4. quicktime way
--------------------------------------
will not be initiated

Coming soon
exporting to avi file and dvd
Deshaker with vegas video (thanks goes to a private user who messaged me).

I apologize for this part. the jpeg is not that of good of quality and you can barely see the issue but it is very visible. The browser has an ability of smoothening out an image. I can disable it on my picture browser but each application does smoothening differently but the streaks are there!

The second pic shows where to disable the motion blur in vegas video. If you have multiple video timelines, you need to do this for each!
Attached Images

Last edited by Cresho; Jul 2, 2009 at 2:44 PM.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 22, 2009, 5:17 AM   #2

Hi, I have installed ffdshow_rev2895_20090421_clsid.exe and mp4cam2avi v2.81, and have followed your guide for the conversion ("source video" & "pcm" audio), but when I import the avi file to vegas pro 8.0c, there is only audio event but not video, any idea? (I tried the raw HD1010 mp4 file, both audio and video events are presented in vegas 8.0c).

edited:
maybe it is something to do with the setting? may I know what is your "codecs" setting under ffdshow video decoder configuration? What decoder do you use for H.264/AVC? libavcodec or ffmpeg-mt?
zach2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2009, 5:31 AM   #3

try this one as well

quicktimealt181.exe

btw, this tutorial works on windows xp system. If your using vista, ill probably get into details on that later on since I don't own a copy.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 10:05 AM   #4

actually i have quicktime alternative installed. and yes, i am using vista ultimate 64bit. btw, i'm using MPC-HomeCinema's built-in DXVA supported filter for hd1010 mp4 playback, apart from it i have ffdshow / quicktime alternative / real alternative installed for other video format plaback. and also coreavc 1.9.5 with mastroka for testing purpose.

if this method doesn't work, hope your the other two will, looking fwd for your tutorial.
zach2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2009, 11:13 AM   #5

Cresho! Thanks a TON! Been looking for the perfect settings this seems to be it! Video looks GREAT, is easily added to Vegas while STILL looking great, and doesn't take forever to convert. You are the man!

BTW I am running Vista 32bit with 2x 2.2ghz processors and 2g ram. No problems to report.

Thanks again!
Matty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2009, 2:18 PM   #6

glad you liked the streamclip software. I just got around "videotaping" some footage. I am gona try and finish export from vegas to quicktime. the xvid option is okay but it has some artifacts that I need to fix. Other than that, I don't care how it comes out since I always keep the original xacti files for me to play with in the future.

I believe the mov or mp4 output from the streamclip after vegas video editing will result in stunning, sharp video. Ill post my expirience here after i finalize a few steps.
Old May 20, 2009, 11:02 AM   #7

Hey Cresho,

So get this, my Vista machine crashed badly yesterday and had to be re-imaged. Awful. Either way I am now running into a slight problem and was wondering if you have any insight. After reinstalling Vegas and everything else (Streamclip, Quicktime Alt, ffdshow, etc.), when I go to render my movie in Vegas and choose AVC/AAC mp4, the "custom" buttom becomes greyed out and will not allow me to change and of my video/audio render settings. Might you know why this is happening?

Thanks as usual,
~Matty
Old May 20, 2009, 3:07 PM   #8

I just updated the export rendering file section. I added what I recommend for rendering. I also updated the settings. I will play with this further and see if it can be tweaked a bit more but its fine as it is. My original files had some artifact issue and it passed on to the final render. So there is the mp4 avc aac rendering option or you have the avi xvid mp3 option.

for you mat, your problem is not isolated since i see other vista users with same problem. I will dive into this issue and also see if i can replicate it on my xp file (i run virtualbox)

Last edited by Cresho; May 20, 2009 at 3:19 PM.
Old May 21, 2009, 9:43 AM   #9

Thanks Cresho. I also put in a ticket with Sony on my issue (which I doubt will bring any results), but thanks for looking into it.
Old May 21, 2009, 2:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty S. View Post
Thanks Cresho. I also put in a ticket with Sony on my issue (which I doubt will bring any results), but thanks for looking into it.

Did you try the sony mp4 avc aac codec? it's also in there. I just added a sony section and btw is recommended over the mainconcept codec. I'm working on this as it goes. There are many methods I use with other softwares and just recently decided to play with outputs from vegas. I think sony avc is by far the best and fastest

I just updated the info above for importing 3 different ways and exporting 3-4 different ways.

Last edited by Cresho; May 21, 2009 at 2:30 PM.