Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Apr 22, 2009, 12:50 AM   #1

Hi,

I'm looking at purchasing a CG10 camera, but would like to compare it to some other hybrid cameras in this price range to see what the alternatives are.

In this price range, what other brand/models of hybrids can I use for this comparison?

Thanks.
rye_guy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 22, 2009, 4:00 AM   #2

There you have it, none! back in the old days where I was deciding between aiptek, mustek, digilife we had sanyo. Sanyo for hybrid camera/video recorder to me represented the best of the best.

I guess There is none unless you want to consider a camera that does video as well like the panasonic zs3
http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs...72009063908324
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2009, 9:56 AM   #3

Rye_guy79,

Also you can take under your consideration those toys:

Canon PowerShot SX10IS:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2009_...anon_sx10.html

and Canon PowerShot SX1IS:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2009_...canon_sx1.html

Actually I'm thinking about them more and more for my HD700 replacement - I'm tired from the ugly stills I'm getting almost at every conditions (except may be sunny day outdoors).
The current street price for SX10 is about $340 but it has SD-video only video and even $650 for SX1 does not look to much for me comparing to HD2000.

Both of them have 20x oprical zoom, swivel display and of course Canon's OIS.

The only problematic point for me is form-factor which is not so good for me as Sanyo's pistol grip.

What do you think folks about them?

FZKAP

FZKAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2009, 9:26 PM   #4

I use to think this way myselfwith regards to "one camera that does it all" but I decided to use the hd1000 for video and the fujifilm s2000hd for pictures. I had a budget of about 1000 dollars and am now considering a commercial stabalizing steadicam.

I took out the kinks on my s2000hd with using p mode and sharpness full

I took out the lacking ois in the hd1000 with an homemade steadicam and now I have a commercial one to carry.

cameras like the canon which record audio have terrible audio recording and also video recording.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 9:33 AM   #5

Cresho wrote:
Quote:
I use to think this way myselfwith regards to "one camera that does it all" but I decided to use the hd1000 for video and the fujifilm s2000hd for pictures. I had a budget of about 1000 dollars and am now considering a commercial stabalizing steadicam.

I took out the kinks on my s2000hd with using p mode and sharpness full

I took out the lacking ois in the hd1000 with an homemade steadicam and now I have a commercial one to carry.

cameras like the canon which record audio have terrible audio recording and also video recording.
Cresho,
I still have a stupid dream to have only one toy in my hand during my travels and quality of the sound has less priority for me comparing to quality of the stills (usually I remove the audio during the editing anyway).
I've just found another review for SX1IS which has an example of the video and it looks pretty normal for me.

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Ca..._IS/lens.shtml

But again with the classical digital camera form-factor is terrible for me.

So I'm still waiting for a new HD2000 reviews.

FZKAP

Old Apr 24, 2009, 2:20 AM   #6

I just checked out some more video samples and listened, watched a few shots. It's okay. Stereo sucks bad though. Also, for pictures, fringing is an issue majorly and this is related to the lense. I'm surprised they did not include post processing which fixes this issue. Color is bad. Sharpness was a big surprise because the sx10 was horrible at taking sharp shots.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 9:31 AM   #7

Cresho,

I've found out one more "classical" digital camera with 720p HD video:
Panasonic Lumix DMC ZS3/TZ7.

Here is the official webpage
http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/compa...tz7/index.html
and here is one of the reviews:
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Pa.../verdict.shtml

This one looks a little bit better for me from form-factor point of view. Unfortunately the 3" screen has no swiveling but has huge resolution. In common design is acceptable for me.

What do you think about this camera?

Sincerely,
FZKAP

Old Apr 24, 2009, 1:03 PM   #8

ya i looked at that one already. Sadly, for enthusiasts, it does not include manual controls the way you want. Audio still sucks. Video is good so this makes a good backup.

I use my s2000hd as a backup hd but it sucks. SUcks bad bad for hd. . You can squeeze excellent pictures from this unit. I managed to get some really good pictures by p settings. Auto mode sucks. Don't listen to the reviews since most was shot using automatic settings. I use P mode and get some of the best shots I have seen. I also have access to Nikon d3 and the likes. I have tons of family pictures and of course they are "perfect" but i like my s2000hd for pictures and xacti for video. I carry both or one and both serves a purpose. BOth are backups and main according to the strengths.

Manual control is essential and zs3 has limited control. You still get fuzzy pictures if you look hard enough and also the color is not Nikon but is just as plain or "natural" as you can get. Don't get me wrong! I would love to get my hands on this one just to carry it because it is a true "jack of all trades" but of course as i mentioned before, its not a main device.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 10:50 PM   #9

you can compare with panasonic HDC-SD20K - http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...00000000005702

but the price is double! :?
pajamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2009, 12:26 PM   #10

Panasonic HDC-SD20K has just 1 still resolution: 1920x1080 which not enough today.
I can say it is "pure" camcorder.

FZKAP