Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Apr 27, 2009, 11:41 AM   #1

I bought a VPC-FH1 from Sanyo at the end of March. I filmed a bunch of stuff but I had problems editing the 60p files in vegas 8 pro. They would just crash Vegas instantly when you try to upload them. I tried the Cineform Neo Scene and I was able to edit in Vegas with no problems and with full 30fps or 60fps previews too.

Then as I start to edit the clips I notice about 1 out of every 8 clips I would get a huge purple band on the right hand side from the top to the bottom. I returned the the cam back to Sanyo and bought another one at Fry's. On my very 1st video Purple banding again!!! this time I kept the cam for about a week and only saw 3 banding clips out of about 200. This weekend it went on sale for $20 cheaper so I took it down exchanged it and got my price adjusted. So far out of a few clips no banding on the 3rd cam.

Now to the good part. This cam is pretty awesome. If you like doing slowmotion like I do the 1080 60P is awesome. You get clean 50% slowmo with out any funky artifacts. Compared to the HF-S100 the quality is slightly less but it is smaller and has full manual control. This cam is pocket sized to. Here is some video for anyone interested in what this cam can do.

http://www.vimeo.com/4020813

http://www.vimeo.com/4288693

http://www.vimeo.com/4331092
jra111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 27, 2009, 12:40 PM   #2

Quote:
Compared to the HF-S100
You clearly have never experienced the Canon series camcorders. I own four HF100s now, and there is no comparison between their manual setting abilities and the Sanyo menu/joystick system.

I can set manual audio gain, manual exposure, manual exposure factor, contrast, saturation, and all settings are retained when the camera power is turned off or battery removed.

The 24p capabilities alone are a key differentiating feature, something not appreciated by the camcorder info folk who compared the HD2000 to the S100 in their reviews.

As a matter of interest, Canon has yet to produce a camera better than its HF10/HF100 series, the HF-S100 has only half the light sensitivity of the older models.

I have nothing against the HD2000, and am intending to buy one as the price-point drops, but I just wanted to give some insight into why those who shoot indoors in 24p (including myself) think the HF100 is the best camcorder on the market right now.

ps: and shooting continuously with it its 4+ hour BP-827 battery and 32 Gig card is icing on the cake. Just set one up on a tripod and and leave it running the whole session - for B-roll...

Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2009, 1:04 PM   #3

I had a HV20 for 2 years and just got a HF-S100. I actually think the lowlight is better on the HF-S100 over the HV20. My HV20 would would turn into a grainy pixelated mess where the HF-S100 is much cleaner but you lose just a little color saturation.

I bought the VPC-FH1 as a take everywhere and slowmo cam. The canon of course better in almost every way but it is also 60% more. The Sanyo is still pretty awesome in its own way I think.

I also never use 24P.

Old Apr 27, 2009, 1:39 PM   #4

Quote:
I also never use 24P
You might try it NeoScene does a great job converting the video,and Virtualdub works like a dream with the Cineform Vfw compression.

ps: I apologize for suggesting you were not familiar with the Canon manual control capabilities
Trevmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2009, 2:18 PM   #5

It's cool.

I would use 24P but I can not commit to shoot the way it need to come out good. I have tried but it is stroby and stuttery, but people who shoot 24p right it comes out beautiful. Yah since getting Neo Scene I have thought about trying it now for lowlight suff that I don't pan too much like my kids school events.

Old Apr 27, 2009, 3:26 PM   #6

Thank you for sharing!

They really help to make more decision between the HD2000 and this one! Thanks
MP4-19B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2009, 4:12 PM   #7

One thing to let people know too is The VPC-FH1 also has a 37mm lens and the HD2000 has a 40.5mm. I was dumb and just assumed it would have the same filter size and bought the wrong one.
Old May 3, 2009, 10:50 AM   #8

Thanks for letting us know your experiences. I bought one from Amazon and haven't run into any purple stripes yet (knock on wood).
Does anyone have any alternate procedures for editing the software on a PC? I downloaded the trial version of Cineform neo scene, and it seems to lose the audio and slow the video down during conversion. Also, I'm not too hot on spend $150 on a piece of software to convert my videos into a usable form. I'm a recreational user.
bmbriefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2009, 11:26 AM   #9

Hi Jra, can I ask... how did you get the video files to work with Vegas Pro 8? As does anyone using Vegas I got the immediate crashes while opening the files. I still have an HD1000 but was considering an upgrade to the HD2000 but will not do so if I can't edit the 1080/60p clips in Vegas. Any info you can provide would be much appreciated

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2009, 11:40 AM   #10

I have read that if you put a clip from the cam shot in 60i into the timeline 1st it will allow you to add 60p clip to the timeline. Since I bought Cineform Neo it works like a charm and you get max preview speed. I totally recomend it for any AVCHD editing. You can get it from the Video guys for $99. I would have bought Cineform years ago if I knew it made editing so much easier.