Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old May 3, 2009, 10:02 AM   #1

Hi all, I just got this camera yesterday (red one from radio shack, on sale). So far GREAT camera. I had the sony webbie (which I returned a few days after getting it), and it was pretty poor, and very feature poor compared to this.

Anyway, my question is with the photo "mode". Is it suppose to actually "switch" or toggle into a photo mode, or are you always suppose to just press *and hold* the photo button half way to compose your shot before pressing all the way to take the photo? I kinda wish it would stay in that mode without me having to hold the button halfway to see the exposure info, etc.

Mine definitely won't switch into a photo mode, and it is my only complaint so far. It seems like it should. I cannot find anything in the menus or manual on this specifically.

Thanks for info!
iamnotmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2009, 1:55 PM   #2

Also, this issue prevent you from zooming in or out while in photo "mode". You have to do it in video mode before holding down the photo button half way. Which also changes the viewing area. Any help or info is appreciated.
thanks.
Old May 4, 2009, 10:34 AM   #3

Hey, I think you're thinking about this in a way Sanyo didn't intend. The camera is always in both modes, i.e. you can always take a photo or shoot video directly from the viewfinder. You don't have to toggle switch etc...

The problem you're seeing is actually an intended "feature" -- you have to hold down the camera key half-way down to focus your shot -- most cameras work like this, and you can take a shot without holding it halfway down by just holding it all the way down. The experience isn't so great because the autofocus is slow, it feels terribly disjointed and not like a regular camera. On most cameras, if you skip the focus step, you can immediately take a shot. On the CG19, without holding the key down halfway, it takes about 2 secs to take a shot, which feels funny on a modern camera. So, ultimately, your issues is that the camera is just slow to focus and take a shot.

Hope that helps...
Chad Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2009, 11:29 AM   #4

Hey Chad, yeah that does help. I guess the bottom line is that, yes, it's slow to just take a photo. But part of the reason it is slow is that it, not only does it have to focus but it has to "switch" over to photo mode - the lcd blanks out too.

It's not a huge deal, and I really like the camera, other than this little issue it's perfect for my needs right now.

I would like to be able to "switch" over to photo mode so that when I want to take pictures the only delay is the focusing, and I can zoom in and out in photo mode. But I'll live it the way it is. It's a very feature packed camera for the price, with very acceptable image quality (again, for the price/functionality).

It's funny how it is written in the manual to take photos. It reads unclearly, like it could be that you switch to a photo mode, then press halfway, then full to shoot. Or not.

So just to be clear your lcd does blank out too for a sec, and the image format changes (depending on your selected photo aspect/res) then it goes to focus right?

Thanks a lot.
Old May 4, 2009, 12:41 PM   #5

I just got my CG10 yesterday, but I can confirm that the screen blacks out momentarily when you press the "photo" button down halfway. I've also taken pictures in the 16:9 aspect ratio - at least then the aspect ratio of the photo and video modes match.

So far I'm quite pleased with the video quality. The still photos are not quite as good, particularly in low light. Still they should be good enough for a 5x7. Outdoor stills are pretty good. I'd say you could probably print at least an 8x10 and it would still look good.

WoodHawk is offline   Reply With Quote