Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old May 14, 2009, 11:04 PM   #1

Default One continuos video like miniDV?

hi

hope you guys can help me out. I just bought a Xacti CG10. I was wondering, everytime i start/stop the recording, it saves to a new file. And during playback, as you can imagine, it has to start and stop at each file. Previously I had a MiniDV which just plays it in one continuos video. It would end when the tape ends...lol.

How do I do that with my CG10? Is it possible to set it so it records to one single file? I read the manual but didnt come across anything. Are all card based system like this?

I know I can join them using software/camcorder but it would be extremely troublesome to join like a 3 hours worth of files together

Thanks!
N79KL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 14, 2009, 11:08 PM   #2

Oh one more thing - I noticed that on the CG10, there is no such thing as video light. The flash is meant for still photos. I wonder if Xacti is more video or more still cam? The video properties are much better than the still camera's capability and yet they chose to use the light as a flash and not a video light for the camcorder
Old May 15, 2009, 1:57 AM   #3

I have a HD2000 and there is a slideshow option that will show all the videos continuously on playback. You may have the same function in the CG10.
Apart from the flash, there are many other items that only work for still photos and not for videos in the HD2000, perhaps just like your CG10. Sigh.
ronaldkwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2009, 3:52 PM   #4

A lot of camcorders don't have a video light and sometimes only a flash. A video light consumes a lot of power and the CG10 doesn't have a lot to start with considering it's small battery.

Those that do have a video light, it usually isn't powerful enough to be worth having. At least a flash is useful even if only for still images!
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2009, 9:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvcam View Post
A lot of camcorders don't have a video light and sometimes only a flash. A video light consumes a lot of power and the CG10 doesn't have a lot to start with considering it's small battery.

Those that do have a video light, it usually isn't powerful enough to be worth having. At least a flash is useful even if only for still images!

you are right, my bad. i just remembered that my old miniDV didnt have video light either. silly me. thanks for clearing that up.
Old May 16, 2009, 9:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldkwok View Post
I have a HD2000 and there is a slideshow option that will show all the videos continuously on playback. You may have the same function in the CG10.
Apart from the flash, there are many other items that only work for still photos and not for videos in the HD2000, perhaps just like your CG10. Sigh.

Ya I tried the slideshow option but it pauses a bit before playing the next file. And when I transfer all the files to my HDD for storage and to play back later with my WDTV media player, I have to click on each file to make it play....

any idea what is this setting BGM? it gives three option - 0001, 0002, and 003. Ive got no idea whats that for.

Are all card and HDD based camcorders like this?

Last edited by N79KL; May 16, 2009 at 9:30 PM.
Old May 17, 2009, 1:37 AM   #7

If you are on Windows, you can use Media Player Classic to play the videos. Just add the videos to the playlist.
Maybe WDTV mp has a playlist and you can make use of that..

I would think that non-tape based cameras would make a new file each time you stop recording to save your data to file. I would think there be a way to make it so you can pause the recording and then resume it later, if you don't turn off the camera.
IF you do turn off the camera, one way to provide option to resume would be to somehow combine new footage to old footage. It could be a new feature that the consumer can merge multiple files in the camera. Might take some processing time to do that... so might not be desirable.

On the other hand, having multiple files provides quicker access to certain part of the video without rewinding and forwarding.
hsbsitez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2009, 3:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by N79KL View Post
Ya I tried the slideshow option but it pauses a bit before playing the next file. And when I transfer all the files to my HDD for storage and to play back later with my WDTV media player, I have to click on each file to make it play....

any idea what is this setting BGM? it gives three option - 0001, 0002, and 003. Ive got no idea whats that for.

Are all card and HDD based camcorders like this?
As suggested by hsbsitez, you can join the individual files (one of the in-camera functions) if you want to play it continuously but become tedious when it grows bigger and bigger.
I believe BGM stands for BackGround Music; you can choose one of three built-in music to play during the slideshow of photos only.
ronaldkwok is offline   Reply With Quote