Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old May 19, 2009, 2:39 AM   #1

Default Sanyo VPH-FH1 1080/60P A/V sync issues in linux

I just bought a Sanyo VPH-FH1 and I find that if I shoot in 1080/60p, I can't play the raw MP4 files on my linux PC after copying it off the sdcard without the video lagging the sound by about a couple of seconds. 1080/30p and lower files play beautifully without any lag or other problems at all.

I've also downloaded the 1080/60p sample video file of the "dog" made with a HD2000 camera and get the same results on playback.

I have a fairly decent machine (q6600 4GB ram sata II 500GB drive GF 9800GTX+) running on linux and I am using version 180.41 of nvidia's proprietary drivers allowing me to make use of VDPAU acceleration for decoding h264 with mplayer (CPU hovers at around 3%-4%) so I don't think it's a hardware issue. 1080/60p files seem to play fine on the camcorder itself thru the lcd viewfinder.

I use cinelerra to edit the video files before rendering separately with ffmpeg which works fine for all other resolution/framerate combos except for 1080/60p.

Anybody else having these problems? Also, if you're running on windows, pls chime in about whether you're having any success playing 1080/60p files and what software you're using to play it.

I'm unsure whether it's problem specific to the linux platform or just a general problem with getting 60p video to play smoothly with software.
I have a spare PC which I might load windows on to try but I'm afraid that I'll get the same results.

Any feedback would great. Thanks.
DDiggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 19, 2009, 5:46 AM   #2

I have a HD2000 and I have problem playing back the 1080/60p mp4 files on my PC using the software provided, Nero Showtime 4. The video is jerky but the audio plays OK. There is no problem playing the 1080/60i mp4 files. I suspect that this is due to my low-end PC, an Intel dual core E2180, since the manual recommends a core 2 duo 3.1GHz or better to play back 60p files. (Running Windows XP Home.)
ronaldkwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2009, 7:12 AM   #3

The [email protected] is not a problem in windows if you use http://forums.steves-digicams.com/sa...-playback.html

for video editing, if you use adobe premiere cs...2 or 3 or what ever, it provides accelerated gpu video playback so this is the only software editor for High def that works fine. Others like vegas and 3rd party app, previewing is impossible...almost. 8800gt pci-e minimum requirement.

The problem here is not the drivers, software, operating system. The problem is being able to unite video gpu with video playback. Most software players and editors are not optimized for gpu playback or previewing which is required by High def!

For linux (I am a linux user), There is no problems on my system and it's a lower end than yours btw. I am going to ramble a bit like always and easier for users of google to google this info.! I use cinerella sometimes but most of the times I use kdenlive from jaunty (BTW this is full gpu accelerated preview playback). I really use virtualbox, windows xp, vegas video 8. Though it has no gpu acceleration but editing is fine, im happy with the results.

For Linux HIGH Definition video playback of 1080p video of 60fps or 59.94fps, The only Hardware accelerated GPU enabled video playback on linux is XBMC. XBMC is GPU video playback accelerated. I look at my cpu usage and it stays the same even with compiz fusion enabled. Though you may expirience verticle sync issues (which I have not)you can turn off compiz for perfect video playback (something I really dont disable).

I tried:
vlc
xine
totem
mplayer
ffmpeg player
etc

I went through all these and none are gpu accelerated.

if you have problems installing, message me here and it will take me about a day to post back.

Here is the installation for the XBMC aka x-box media center.

Use it. It has built in projectM.

also, if you are using jaunty, I had problems with jaunty in video games only so you should have no issues. Hardy heron is flawless.

install xbmc and do not use the built in ones from repo's since they are most likely not updated....you can try though.

http://xbmc.org/download/

Last edited by Cresho; May 19, 2009 at 7:38 AM.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2009, 7:17 AM   #4

I downloaded http://vimeo.com/3755336
1. Played it with MPC and most of the frames were dropped in full screen. It shows fine at half of the resultion.
2. Used Quicktime Player, had very very few framed drops at first in full screen. Then the drop rate decreased and I did not notice much drop toward the end of the video.
hsbsitez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2009, 7:25 AM   #5

ya this is not a problem on my linux system at all. please read my post before yours for answers to why your system cant play it back. the video you are looking at is not or does not touch the real quality of the real footage.

Last edited by Cresho; May 19, 2009 at 7:35 AM.
Old May 19, 2009, 8:07 AM   #6

What do u mean by "is not or does not touch the real quality of the real footage."

I had a looked at your post, and I changed the Playback->Output option from VMP9(renderless) to EVR Custom Pres. **
It works great! Thanks for sharing it.
Old May 19, 2009, 8:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresho View Post

For Linux HIGH Definition video playback of 1080p video of 60fps or 59.94fps, The only Hardware accelerated GPU enabled video playback on linux is XBMC. XBMC is GPU video playback accelerated. I look at my cpu usage and it stays the same even with compiz fusion enabled. Though you may expirience verticle sync issues (which I have not)you can turn off compiz for perfect video playback (something I really dont disable).

I tried:
vlc
xine
totem
mplayer
ffmpeg player
etc

I went through all these and none are gpu accelerated.

if you have problems installing, message me here and it will take me about a day to post back.

Here is the installation for the XBMC aka x-box media center.

Use it. It has built in projectM.

also, if you are using jaunty, I had problems with jaunty in video games only so you should have no issues. Hardy heron is flawless.

install xbmc and do not use the built in ones from repo's since they are most likely not updated....you can try though.

http://xbmc.org/download/

I'm only having problems with the 1080/60p mp4 files generated by my fh1. The video runs smoothly but slightly slower than normal and trails the audio by about a couple of seconds.

1080/30p 720/30p mp4 files from the same camera, on the other hand, run fine on my machine. 1080p hd-dvd/BD rips also run smoothly. My mplayer is compiled with vdpau support so it is running with hardware accelerated h264 decoding when run with the "-vo vdpau -vc ffh264vdpau" switch so I don't think it's a hardware issue as cpu usage never climbs above 10%.

Cresho, if you have a 8xxx series or above nvidia display card check out http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1037625 for how to get vdpau support for your ubuntu system.

I just tested my this on my gaming rig which runs on windows XP (E8400 8GB ram GTX280) and get the same problem. Tested with MPC-HC, 1080/60p video still lagging the audio by 1-3 secs and seems to be running at 1/2 speed. Looks like I'll have to stick to shooting in 1080/30p till I figure out what's wrong.

Last edited by DDiggler; May 19, 2009 at 8:23 AM. Reason: Typo
DDiggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2009, 8:27 AM   #8

you also used the EVR Custom as output?
Old May 19, 2009, 2:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDiggler View Post
I'm only having problems with the 1080/60p mp4 files generated by my fh1. The video runs smoothly but slightly slower than normal and trails the audio by about a couple of seconds.

1080/30p 720/30p mp4 files from the same camera, on the other hand, run fine on my machine. 1080p hd-dvd/BD rips also run smoothly. My mplayer is compiled with vdpau support so it is running with hardware accelerated h264 decoding when run with the "-vo vdpau -vc ffh264vdpau" switch so I don't think it's a hardware issue as cpu usage never climbs above 10%.

Cresho, if you have a 8xxx series or above nvidia display card check out http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1037625 for how to get vdpau support for your ubuntu system.

I just tested my this on my gaming rig which runs on windows XP (E8400 8GB ram GTX280) and get the same problem. Tested with MPC-HC, 1080/60p video still lagging the audio by 1-3 secs and seems to be running at 1/2 speed. Looks like I'll have to stick to shooting in 1080/30p till I figure out what's wrong.

Really? Why is it I have no issues with this? Maybee it's because the video I am looking at has no conversation. It's pretty smooth in any case. I will tell you though that the video audio starts up in the right spot and then the video and audio stops at the right spot.

I don't think I will use the gpu accelerated stuff in linux until the time comes. I already have mplayer installed.

Last edited by Cresho; May 19, 2009 at 3:12 PM.
Old May 20, 2009, 11:27 AM   #10

I had the same problem on my new quadcore computer until I tried Coreavc. Now it plays my 1080 60P clips perfect through Windows Media Player. You can get a free trial of Coreavc to see if it would help you.
jra111 is offline   Reply With Quote