Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old May 25, 2009, 12:28 PM   #11

even those canon cameras need image stabalization tools. Nothing is perfect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01Is68WmXK0

I have a hd1000 and bought a hague mmc stabalizer for 100 bucks. The results are super! No mater what you have, remember that you will have a need for better picture recording. Your video can be improved by holding the camera in this way.
http://www.vimeo.com/1469722

look at his stabalizer trick, its useful! I did'nt understand it until i saw this again and understood what a steadicam is. and here is a home made one. even with a tripod mini or those 6 inches will do it!

http://steadycam.org/

There is no reason not to have a steadyshot with any camera!

Last edited by Cresho; May 25, 2009 at 12:41 PM.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2009, 6:51 AM   #12

Yes good advices how to hold your camera and also usefull even if you have OIS, even good OIS can't do miracles to very unstable video picture. But I don't know about steadycams, who wants to carry Hague or Manfrotto steadycams with you all the time, not me. These devices are just too bulky. Good optical stabilizer is mainly stabilazing your trembling hands they are not meant to be used when walking, maybe Panasonic has best OIS and works quite well even when walking.

I had Canon PS IS2 camera and it had OIS which was much better than EIS in Sanyo HD700, but PS IS2 extracting lens was too fragile for me and I am not going to buy same kind of camera even it has very good OIS.

Last edited by Quenaelin; May 27, 2009 at 7:20 AM.
Quenaelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2009, 5:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quenaelin View Post
why Sanyo can't make atleast one model with optical stabilizer?
I honestly think they will soon. I think they wanted to milk everyone for upgraded cams first, then when there's little else you can go upgrade wise (frame rates and such) then they release yet another new Sanyo model, but this time with OIS! Think about it, we all want a model with OIS so I'm sure they figure release the HD2000 first then release again but with OIS, and maybe even a higher bitrate for all frame rates.

Maybe I'm being cynical, but for some reason I feel pretty sure we'll see an OIS model on the horizon in due time.

Rev.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2009, 8:43 PM   #14

Quote:
maybe Panasonic has best OIS and works quite well even when walking
I have considered the Panasonics because their OIS is superb, but they all seem to have image sensor resolutions lower than actual HD. Now I know the 3CCD models use pixel shifting but I haven't found a good explanation as to how that can match the detail resolved by a true HD resolution sensor. Anyone explain this or know a good article about this?

I also noticed that Panasonic lists the HDC-SD20 image sensor as only having 1.17MP which is far below the 2MP needed for HD so I am assuming this is interpolating right? If so, then is this not deceptive or am I missing a piece of the puzzle here? I cannot see how it can match a sensor with a true HD pixel count like the HF100.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 9:50 AM   #15

Quote:
who wants to carry Hague or Manfrotto steadycams with you all the time, not me.

you are absolutely right but I mainly use the stabalizer for sweet 16, 15, graduation, weddings. If I am going out and about, I use the 2 handed technique.

Besides, who records everyday? and holding the hd1000 looks like like a gun to me but with a steadycam, it looks like a camera setup. One security officer approached me asking me if I had a gun once and I said "NO! it's my camera."
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2009, 12:53 AM   #16

I wonder why amazon.com doesn't stock this model directly yet?
Old May 30, 2009, 11:17 AM   #17

Default June 21 2009

They will be released in the USA on 6-21-2009
Grijak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2009, 12:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvcam View Post
I wonder why amazon.com doesn't stock this model directly yet?
Ok I didn't realize that. Originally I'd seen references to it being earlier in the year along with the other models.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 8:30 PM   #19

I was leaning pretty hard towards getting the HD1010, especially when it was $350 on Amazon. I checked one out at Fry's when they had them and thought it was small enough to replace my point and shoot. Now I'm starting to rethink that, but I can't get my hands on one anymore to confirm. Fry's discontinued it.

I then remembered the FH1. It's not much more than the HD1010 and gains the better still resolution and 1080P 60FPS.

Can someone give advice on "pocketability" of the FH1 vs HD series? As for advantages, I noticed on the pics that the FH1 has HDMI and AV out ports on the device. That seems like a pretty solid advantage over the HD series. I'd hate to lug along a dock.

There's a lot of specs to sift through, but it does seem that the FH1 has a wider lens. I'd take that over the larger lens.

Thanks in advance!
EcoCheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2009, 5:12 PM   #20

Quote:
I wonder why Sanyo has so bad stabilizer, Canon and Sony can make camcorders with upto 30x or even more optical zoom
Gigantic optical zoom is usually a SD vs. HD thing. Neither Sony nor Canon are making HD camcorders with 30x zoom... Panasonic has a 70x zoom in a new SD model. It's all about using tiny sensors, thus, tiny lenses.

I have owned three other HD camcorders (one was sold about the time I got my FH1)... all had 10x optical zoom. You can get 12x or so on the consumer market, and maybe 15x-20x if you have plenty of money to spend at the pro level, for HD video.

> with only digital stabilizer and why Sanyo can't make at least one model with optical stabilizer?

Most digital stabilizers aren't very good compared to optical. Part of any review's critique is based on what's gone before. If $200 consumer cameras usually have digital-only stabilization, most reviewers aren't going to complain about the lack thereof. But when the Sanyo's extend into the same terratory as other HD models, many of which offer optical stabilization, the question gets asked. This doesn't mean Sanyo's digital is worse than other digital systems.

My $3000 Sony HDV camcorder, from the early days of HD camcorders, also has digital-only. I never found that a big deal, either. Part of that's the camera... you can hand-hold the HVR-A1, but you wouldn't do it for really long, it's heavy, for a small camcorder. Thus, the tripod, and no need for stabilization at all.

I'm not sure what other $400 camcorders actually have OIS.. maybe some of the Panasonics? I kind of expect OIS in still cameras -- that fact actually moved me from Canon to Panasonic, for my last few still camera buys. But OIS on a still camera is the balls... it always makes things better. OIS for video... you're still going to shake. Tripods don't shake, even monopods are a better answer.

'Course, if you're doing nothing but handheld, OIS is better than DIS.. but both are going to yield shaky, AT&T commercial-style video. I would never shoot serious video that way, so I don't find the FH1 a problem, and I have an immediate use for 1080/60p. And low-light performance. And cheap... I may buy a few more of these, for multi-camera shoots.
hazydave is offline   Reply With Quote