Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old May 20, 2009, 7:20 AM   #1

Default HD2000 vs FH1

I am thinking about upgrading my Sanyo HD700 to HD2000 or FH1, butI am not sure which one to buy. Sanyo HD700 is good and small camera and I like editing video and pictures with camera, but annoying red-eyes and mediocre picture/video quality is driving me nuts and forces me to consider upgrading to something better.

Sanyo HD2000 has mic input but I doubt I will need it, or very rarely. Pistol grip has advantages and disadvantages, major disadvantage is that you can't place camera down on to anykind of flat surface without tripod and continue shooting video like with normal horizontal model camcorder. I would like hear your opinions what you would like to buy or upgrade and why? Do you have HD2000 or FH1 and what is your opinion about those models? How about red-eye problem when taking pictures with flash, which is better HD2000 or FH1? I don't want red-eyes in my pictures and don't want to fix them with software. I have external slave-flash but it is too bulky to use always. How about size which one fits in your pocket better HD2000 or FH1? Then HD2000 has docking station and FH1 doesn't which is better?

Sanyo HD2000
+ mic input
+ smaller than FH1 (is it?)
+ flash (pop-up flash not so close to lens)
- pistol grip (can't take video without tripod)

Sanyo FH1
+ horizontal model (possible to take video without tripod)
- no mic input
- flash (more closer to lens than in HD2000)
Quenaelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 20, 2009, 9:34 AM   #2

I have also been looking at these two models. Like you, the lack of a mic input really isn't a deal breaker since it's something I'd probably never use. You forgot the HD2000 has a shoe for attachments which would be handy for an external video light. I am not sure why they didn't see fit to add one to the FH1 but then it seems it's a rare addition for most camcorders these days anyway.

Although I'd like a pistol grip device, I am not sure I am willing to pay on average $150 more for it, when the FH1 has the same video capabilities minus a couple of things that for the most part I probably wouldn't miss.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2009, 11:38 AM   #3

Price difference here is about 25 euros, so its not much. Maybe I forgot to mention shoe mount because I am going to use very rarely or not at all, so it doesn't matter for me. I really like to get rid of all these acessories and additional stuff. My main concern is with flash, which of these cameras has better built-in flash without red-eyes in pictures?
Old May 20, 2009, 10:14 PM   #4

Having previously owned a HD700 and then a HD1000 I have to say I'm happy with the portability of the FH1 now that I found a good case (see my posting). Haven't taken enough flash photos to comment about redeye. It does have a setting on playback to remove redeye.
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2009, 10:21 PM   #5

Apart from the differences already mentioned, the lens on the HD2000 is also different from the one on the FH1, my Blog has the details. From the photos I took with my HD2000, the red-eye reduction flash seems to be effective.
ronaldkwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2009, 3:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldkwok View Post
Apart from the differences already mentioned, the lens on the HD2000 is also different from the one on the FH1, my Blog has the details. From the photos I took with my HD2000, the red-eye reduction flash seems to be effective.
Lens is bit different, FH1 seem to have wider lens (f=5.9mm) but smaller aperture (F=2.0) than Sanyo HD2000 (f=6.3, F=1.8), but is there really any difference in picture quality. Wider lens better is for close shots, but it isn't much wider only 0.4mm and aperture difference is 0.2, these all quite small differences. 37mm thread is maybe more common in camcorders than 40.5mm, so you get additional wide lenses more easily.

So red-eye reduction flash works in HD2000 it is good to know, but how about FH1 is there same red-eye problem than in HD700?

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Having previously owned a HD700 and then a HD1000 I have to say I'm happy with the portability of the FH1 now that I found a good case (see my posting). Haven't taken enough flash photos to comment about redeye. It does have a setting on playback to remove redeye.
Built-in red-eye removal doesn't always work atleast in my Sanyo HD700. I really want to get rid of anykind of software fix for red-eys, many times software can't do it properly and then it requires annoying picture editing and post-processing what I like to avoid. Why fix something with software which could be fixed with proper hardware that means good red-eye reduction flash.

It looks like I am leaning towards HD2000 more and more, because of better flash, though HD2000 can't be put don't to continue filming, which is a bit annoying sometimes when you need both hands and like to film what you are doing.
Old May 21, 2009, 4:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quenaelin View Post

It looks like I am leaning towards HD2000 more and more, because of better flash, though HD2000 can't be put don't to continue filming, which is a bit annoying sometimes when you need both hands and like to film what you are doing.
There's a simple solution to that, just sit the HD2000 in the docking station if you need to be hands-free! But that means carrying an extra piece of item around.

Since you have the HD700 for some time, how do you cope with the bad IS?
Old May 21, 2009, 7:10 AM   #8

Otherwise good advice but its pretty hard if you have to always carry docking station with you when you are filming, it really loses conveniency of these kind of small cameras and docking station must be glued in to camera otherwise it is always dropping. Then it is almost same as carrying tripod and external flash with you and you can't do anykind of momentary impulse filming, you always have to plan everything before you start filming. One problem in Sanyo HD700 is that it can't stand on its own in anykind of flat surface, you always have to use tripod or docking station.

Bad IS doesn't bother me so much as bad flash, I try to take video as steady as possible and train myself not to shake my hands. with HD700 video stabilizer I can keep camera steady within 5x optical zoom range, beoynd that in to digital zoom range it becomes impossible to keep camera steady. How about image stabilizer in HD2000 and FH1, is it good and in what ranges?

I have considered also Canon HF200 or Samsung HMX100, but these are quite bulky and doesn't offer built-in video and photo editing and as many photo options as Sanyo. Samsung HMX100 doesn't even have pop-up flash like there was in HMX20 model, so it must be worse.

I had Canon PS IS2 but I broke its lens motor because it has extending lens which is easily gathering dust and sand and water so it isn't for me, I like to shoot in harsh conditions also, not just in sunny days. I wan't solid sealed lens structure in my camera, it is more durable.

Last edited by Quenaelin; May 21, 2009 at 7:21 AM.
Old May 21, 2009, 7:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quenaelin View Post

Bad IS doesn't bother me so much as bad flash, I try to take video as steady as possible and train myself not to shake my hands. with HD700 video stabilizer I can keep camera steady within 5x optical zoom range, beoynd that in to digital zoom range it becomes impossible to keep camera steady. How about image stabilizer in HD2000 and FH1, is it good and in what ranges?
I am not sure if the IS is improved on the HD2000 over the HD700 but the IS is always reviewed to be the weak point of the Sanyos. It seems to be OK at low zoom but beyond midway (about 5x) optical zoom it becomes bad like your experience.
Old May 25, 2009, 10:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldkwok View Post
I am not sure if the IS is improved on the HD2000 over the HD700 but the IS is always reviewed to be the weak point of the Sanyos. It seems to be OK at low zoom but beyond midway (about 5x) optical zoom it becomes bad like your experience.
I wonder why Sanyo has so bad stabilizer, Canon and Sony can make camcorders with upto 30x or even more optical zoom with only digital stabilizer and why Sanyo can't make atleast one model with optical stabilizer? I guess I have to wait for Sanyo with OIS and then make decision should I upgrade my camera or not, or then buy something else than Sanyo. Very hard to make any decisions, I don't want to buy another mediocre camera. Sanyo has so many good features, too bad it lacks in this department.

Last edited by Quenaelin; May 25, 2009 at 10:36 AM.