Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jun 18, 2009, 10:44 AM   #1

Default Sanyo Xacti VPC-E1 how to erase card?

I have a Sanyo Xacti VPC-E1 and need to erase the card so that I can start to take some more videos.
Trouble is, that no one can get the menu to show in Playback mode, it stays in Record mode or Option mode only.

If it wont go into Playback mode, is there another way to erase the card, as its almost full.
And our puppy is growing fast!
Thank you,
Jane
Jane782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2009, 6:18 PM   #2

get a card reader or mount that camera to your pc, wait a few for the os can detect devices and then open my computer and right click on auto mounted card and click format. you can also delete using the file browser and go into the card and remove what you want. Make sure you right click on the lower left mounted devices and unmount card or you may corrupt sd card.

It is very simple.

Last edited by Cresho; Jun 18, 2009 at 6:22 PM.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2009, 6:34 PM   #3

Thank you for answering, Im using Macs,,,,,,
I connected the camera as I do with all my cameras with the USB readers, and download the images. I sometimes use iPhoto,, or sometimes not.
So Ive got the folder of the Xacti images on the desktop, I copy them.
But I dont think I can do anything from there.

What I need to do is have somebody show me(us), how to get into the menu of the camera itself. All our Nikons have standard menus, but this Xacti, is not showing the Playback menu.
That is where the problem lies.
I will try your suggestion however,
Jane
Old Jun 18, 2009, 11:14 PM   #4

I dont think you need a playback menu. in the regular menu, you can navigate to format and just format it. I dont have your camera but I know what I have and I can do what i just suggested.

i can show you how to use your terminal to delete images on a mounted disk. I use linux and mac is unix based. Same stuff.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 7:31 AM   #5

Thank you,
I can actually get to the format menu, and thats what I do with Nikons.
But nobody here can figure how to get to the Playback menu, even though the instructions say there is one. Its gotta be there somewhere?

(I dont do Terminal yet, though I can view 'top'. And can use Telnet for stuff.
Though someday I would love to learn some of the more simple and safe things to do with Terminal. One of our kids said she would show me the basics someday.)
Im always taking classes too, and learning new stuff, its fun for retirement, keeps me busy in the bad weather.
Thank you again, If you can figure if there is actually a playback menu in these little cameras, I can pass that info along to my classmates, as they are thinking of purchasing one of these great little things. Water and beach-proof means a lot to us.
Jane
Old Jun 19, 2009, 11:38 AM   #6

Default Playback button is there

It is on the side of the camera where the LCD closes over it, just above the power button.
Grijak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2009, 12:59 PM   #7

Hey, that is what I needed, I knew the button, but nowhere in the inst. did they say that you couldnt get to the Playback menu without ~~~first changing~~~ the camera mode to Playback.
Still when I got to Delete All, it would only delete single, so I went to format card.

Dont you wish all cameras were similar, and that all computer stuff worked like our Macs do.
Life would be easier.

So thank you all!

My card is empty and our puppy and kitten will have fresh videos.
Jane
Old Jun 22, 2009, 12:49 PM   #8

incredible! At least someone got you headed on the right path.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 1:57 PM   #9

Yes, and I thank you all.
I guess the way to clear your camera cards is just to re-format them period.
I stick the regular still pix into iPhoto and then I can delete them as I please, though I usually dont get around to doing that.
But the videos do take up a lot of room, so those I should sort out, leave just the ones I am going to view or put on the web and put the rest on the extrnal HD.
I just cant seem to trash any of the ones of the puppy and kitten, even if they didnt come out as well as some of the others.
Jane
Old Jun 22, 2009, 3:17 PM   #10

I don't connect my camera to the computer. I take the card out of the camera and put it inside my computer, and take the files out. When needed, I can use the format option through Windows.
hsbsitez is offline   Reply With Quote