Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jul 8, 2009, 5:25 AM   #1

Default mp4 AVC/H.264 to bluray without re-encode?

Ok, I just upgrade from my jvc mpeg2 hard disc camcorder to the xacti HD1010. I never do any video editing, and highly value the ability to make a dvd with nero and burn it to the dvd without having to re-encode the video.

Basically I let each clip be it's own chapter, and set it to play one after the other. Easy backup of files, and easy for family to see video of their grandchildren.

My question is, with the Xacti HD1010, will I be able to do the same, but onto a bluray disc? This saves me so much time. I do not yet have a bluray burner or player, but just thinking of the future. I'm also aware of the option to burn to an avchd disc. But it seems that this option requires a re-encode with nero. So, the most important aspect of my question is "do I need to re-encode"?
godfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2009, 5:23 AM   #2

copy your files into a sd or what ever. play the files directly on a playstation 3 system. If you are buying a blueray system, go for the playstation 3
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2009, 5:30 AM   #3

thanks, but my question is mainly to do with re-encoding to a blu-ray disc. What I plan to do is to send copies to all the grandparents. So, just playing the files are no problem for me because of the xacti library function. I hope to quickly export to a blu-ray disc and just pop them in the mail. But, as I've noticed, unless you have a i7 processor, re-encoding to blu-ray is an incredibly long process that my little core2duo stuggles with.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 10:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresho View Post
copy your files into a sd or what ever. play the files directly on a playstation 3 system. If you are buying a blueray system, go for the playstation 3
i tried this but they dont play smoothly. full HD @ 60p
ad78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2009, 12:32 PM   #5

The thing about codecs is, that every hardware maker bends the h.264 specifications to suit their own needs, creating more confusion and transcoding problems/necessities in order for a file to be playable across different platforms.

The fact that a PS3 can play MP4 files directly from a Sanyo camera, and also Bluray discs (h.264) does not mean that a Bluray player can play Sanyo's h.264 implementation in addition to its own format.

Just like building bridges, there are specifications and rules to consider, but every group of builders will apply their own reasoning and create a unique bridge that works at that moment, but most probably wouldn't work on every situation/place, and yet most of them follow the same principle.
subc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2009, 2:00 AM   #6

Ok, that gives me some more understanding. I've been finding the blu-ray thing a bit confusing. Has anyone actually tried to burn to blu-ray? Did it need to re-encode? Me not having any blu-ray hardware hinders me doing any experimenting.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 7:00 AM   #7

My plan is to get this http://www.xtreamer.net/109/content-...er-vs-NMT.aspx for H.264 clips.
Harry-kt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2009, 10:05 PM   #8

Nice machine. It might be cheaper and easier for me to get that for all my family than to go blu-ray.