Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jul 9, 2009, 1:55 PM   #1

Default The Death of My Wife's Exacti VPC-E1

My wife has owned this wonderful little camera for just over a year, but it had an untimely demise on July 4th, victim of the Hawaiian surf.

I'm sure we'll never know whether she just didn't get the battery/memory card access door fully closed or whether one of the seals failed,but water apparently got in the camera. No way to prove either way. Now, nada.

She loved the convenience of carrying the little camera in her purse and being able to use it in all conditions. The videos and stills were consistently good.

She wants to replace it, but is afraid to buy another like it for fear of a similar experience. Any thoughts?

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 10, 2009, 3:33 PM   #2

Problem with water proof cameras is that they aren't completely dive proof, sealing may fail even if you close it tightly, you can't test sealing in anyway like with diving camera cases. Water proof cameras should only be used in rain or other moist conditions like fog, but not much when diving or swimming, sealing could fail anytime or build condensation water inside your camera and you can only say bye bye to your camera. Read manufacturers instructions very carefully before using them, because there are loop holes there, they really don't guarantee too much life time if you are going to use them underwater. If you are going to use your camera constantly underwater buy good diving case, it could cost more than your camera, but it doesn't fail so easily.

Last edited by Quenaelin; Jul 13, 2009 at 7:07 AM. Reason: correcting typos
Quenaelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2009, 4:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quenaelin View Post
PWater proof cameras should only be used in rain or other moist conditions like fog, but not much when diving or swimming
This is a good point and suggestion, I totally agree!
Joseph_Lee is offline   Reply With Quote