Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jul 13, 2009, 2:19 PM   #1

Default What is your favorite VirtualDub Compression Setting?

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if someone posted about this earlier (I couldn't find any threads where is was mentioned) but I was curious as to what your favorite video compression settings were in virtualdub.

I have been messing around with deshaker and am trying to get the best compression vs quality as of course if you leave it uncompressed your file size is MASSIVE.

Thanks in advance,
~Matty S.
Matty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 13, 2009, 2:38 PM   #2

I have some settings I perfected with deshaker. All export to extreme high quality mpeg2 so I can edit it in vegas. Now I am working with deshaker in vegas 9. I am currently modifying the deshaker.js to work with 720p or 1080i or 1080p. I recently discovered deshaker for vegas 9 and it need serious tweeking and it does work! I tried a small sample.

In virtualdub, all i do is load the video i want to deshake and then load the processing setting file and save to avi. it's all automatic and all configured.

Here is a setting. I think this one is a 720p but cannot recall all in a xacti-Deshake.vcf. It is visibly lossless (looks lossless when viewing video) and outputs to mpeg2 i think. If you modify this to xvid 12000 rate and mpeg audio layer 3 128, you will be pleased as I use to use these settings. This script is prepping video to vegas 8 back in the old days.
Code:
VirtualDub.audio.SetSource(1); 
VirtualDub.audio.SetMode(0); 
VirtualDub.audio.SetInterleave(1,500,1,0,0); 
VirtualDub.audio.SetClipMode(1,1); 
VirtualDub.audio.SetConversion(0,0,0,0,0); 
VirtualDub.audio.SetVolume(); 
VirtualDub.audio.SetCompression(); 
VirtualDub.audio.EnableFilterGraph(0); 
VirtualDub.video.SetInputFormat(0); 
VirtualDub.video.SetOutputFormat(7); 
VirtualDub.video.SetMode(3); 
VirtualDub.video.SetSmartRendering(0); 
VirtualDub.video.SetPreserveEmptyFrames(0); 
VirtualDub.video.SetFrameRate2(0,0,1); 
VirtualDub.video.SetIVTC(0,0,-1,0); 
VirtualDub.video.SetCompression(0x44495658,0,10000,0); 
VirtualDub.video.SetCompData(3532,"AgAAAIA+AACQsggAQzpcdmlkZW8ucGFzcwBveFx2aWRlby5wYXNzAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABAAAAZAAAAEhpZ2hkZWYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADQAAAEdlbmVyYWwgcHVycG9zZQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAQAAAAAAAAAIERITFRcZGxESExUXGRscFBUWFxgaHB4VFhcYGhweIBYXGBocHiAjFxgaHB4gIyYZGhweICMmKRscHiAjJiktEBESExQVFhcREhMUFRYXGBITFBUWFxgZExQVFhcYGhsUFRYXGRobHBUWFxgaGxweFhcYGhscHh8XGBkbHB4fIQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAQAAAAIAAACWAAAAZAAAAAEAAAAAAAAABAAAAAMAAAABAAAAAQAAAAAAAAABAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAZAAAAPQBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABAAAABkAAAAZAAAAAEAAAAKAAAAAQAAABQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUAAAAFAAAABQAAAAAoCgAAAAAAAQAAAAEAAAAeAAAAAAAAAAIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYAAAABAAAAAAAAAAEAAAAAAAAALAEAAAAAAAABAAAAHwAAAAEAAAAfAAAAAQAAAB8AAAABAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA/wEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAQAAAA=="); 
VirtualDub.video.filters.Clear(); 
VirtualDub.video.filters.Add("Deshaker v2.4"); 
VirtualDub.video.filters.instance[0].Config("12|1|30|4|1|0|1|0|640|480|1|2|1|400|400|400|1500|4|1|4|2|5|40|300|4|C:\\Deshaker.log|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|0|1|15|15|5|15|0|0|30|30|0|0|0|0|1|0|0|10|1|15|1000|1|88"); 
VirtualDub.audio.filters.Clear();

Last edited by Cresho; Jul 13, 2009 at 2:50 PM.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2009, 2:49 PM   #3

Thanks as usual Cresho, but I am bit confused. I have never seen a place in VD to input such information settings. I was speaking about when in virtualdub, clicking on "video" then "compression" and looking at those options there. Forgive me for sounding like a newb but how exactly do I create this processing setting file and then import it?

I would LOVE to be able to use deshaker in Vegas but unfortunately I don't have the Pro version, just the crappy "Platinum" version.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 2:52 PM   #4

Oops sorry Cresho I don't believe I saw the instructions near the end of your post on the first read. I will give these settings a try. Thanks again!
Old Jul 13, 2009, 3:29 PM   #5

Hey Cresho,

I got an "operation not supported" error when I tried to run that script while saving pass 2 to avi. Perhaps I am doing this incorrectly?
Old Jul 13, 2009, 4:19 PM   #6

here, let me get some samples going and ill post the complete process here. I am currently using virtualdub as well to deshake some videos since i cannot work with vegas 9 and deshake due to codec issues and i dont want to screw with that just yet.

ill put my complete info here
Old Jul 13, 2009, 4:20 PM   #7

Thanks a bunch!
Old Jul 13, 2009, 5:06 PM   #8

Default here we go!!!!!!!!!

I am running my virtualdub in wine under linux with: (I'm posting this because of compatability issues even under windows)

Use these versions in windows or wine to avoid errors but I recommend you try your setup first incase your updated stuff works.
MP4Cam2AVI_v2.79.zip (convert mp4 to avi for virtualdub usage)
deshaker 2.4 (http://www.guthspot.se/video/deshaker.htm)
c++sp1 (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en)
virtualdub 1.8.6 (nothing higher)
ffdshow_beta5_rev2033_20080705_clsid.exe
Xvid-1.2.2-07062009.exe

okay now ill post the tutorial..doing it in sections cuz last time i typed alot and i had too much info in one post

Last edited by Cresho; Jul 13, 2009 at 5:53 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 5:53 PM   #9

Here is the tutorial once you get those in place!

I had in issue with the ffdshow so i went back to an older one ffdshow_beta5_rev2033_20080705_clsid.exe make sure you have this one installed. my problem was i was hearing voices and no video. it was all black. the older one works fine.

open up m4cam2avi and convert your video to avi. under action use convert many to many, audio is pcm, avi size limit to 2048 max. you wont loose a thing.

now open up virtualdub and load your clip that you decoded with mp4cam2avi software. on each viewfield, right click and reduce size to 33% on preview and rendering. Virtualdub needs to see the whole thing.right click on the video and reduce to 33%. right click on the the other viewfield that is black and reduce to 33%

download the attached file and unzip it.

go to virtualdub->file->load processing settings to where you extracted it. you can review my settings by going into video->filters->highlight filter and click on configure button on lower right side of that window. you can see my paramaters. I tested these and found this to be the best. cancel cancel to leave windows without modifying. make sure created a C:\video.pass (go to your c drive, right click and create an empty text file. and make sure you can see extension and do not create a video.pass.txt so make sure you view hidden extenesion.) also make sure you click on video->compression->xvid mpeg4->configure and it still should say high def, two pass, 16000bitrate and quality is general purpouse.

now click on
Make sure Pass 1 is selected.(verify by going into video->filters->highlight filter and click on configure button on lower right side of that window) go out of those windows by cancel cancel and now to go. file->preview filtered. after this is done, go to the next step (make sure you put your marker at the start of the video)

Make sure Pass 2 is selected.(verify by going into video->filters->highlight filter and click on configure button on lower right side of that window) ok action both times.(make sure you put your marker at the start of the video)

you can render your video. Since it is configured already for output, all you do is file->save as avi. make sure you add a deshaked-version-name name to avoid confusion.

special note for final cut!
if you are aware of the radium codec which works in windows xp, you can export both in xvid and mp3 audio.filename is called ra-codec12.zip what you do is install it, open up virtualdub, load the processing settings, do not load a video, go into , you can now go to audio and do a full processing mode, then audio and compression you should be able to see the radium mp3 codec and 320 max bitrate for mp3. after you select the one you want, select file, save processing settings. The reason i chose pcm is because I use to throw the deshaken file in vegas 8 which disliked mp3 audio as a codec. pcm was fine.

Let me know if this helps. I just finalized all settings for vegas 9 video. It is a script that works to deshake xacti videos and i must say i am very satisfied. I used the settings here and transfered it over to the new deshaker script. one day, ill post another few suggestions.
Attached Files
File Type: zip xacti-DESHAKE.vcf.zip (860 Bytes, 347 views)

Last edited by Cresho; Jul 14, 2009 at 1:49 AM.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 9:06 AM   #10

Nice. I am going to give this a try today.