Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jul 22, 2009, 5:59 AM   #1

Default setting shutter speed to 1/10000

I've seen in the specs page of my HD1010 manual that the camera can set a shutter speed of 1/1,0000. But when trying to manualy set, the max I can get is 1,000. Anyone else have this problem? Am I mistaken that this camera can do this?
godfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2009, 7:34 AM   #2
Administrator

For still photos, the fastest shutter speed is 1/1000 second. For video, the camera may use up to 1/10000 second if lighting is bright enough.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2009, 9:09 AM   #3

I am not able to achieve 1/10000 even when i point to the sky on a bright day. and manually, I can only get 1/1000 maximum. Video is what I need it for, not photo. thanks.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 9:25 AM   #4
Administrator

The shutter speed needed for proper exposure is going to depend on the lighting levels (typically measured as EV), the aperture setting for the lens (f/stop) and the ISO speed (how sensitive the sensor is to light). See this page for more info. Note that film speed is the same thing as ISO speed.

http://www.robert-barrett.com/photo/...alculator.html

At the longer end of your zoom, it looks like you have a widest available aperture of around f/2.5. I don't know if you can control the aperture for video shooting or not. If so, open it up some (smaller f/stop number) to let more light in for faster shutter speeds.

If you can't open up the aperture enough, you may also need to increase the sensor's sensitivity to use faster shutter speeds. It doesn't appear you can set ISO speed directly for video. Although it does appear to have a "High Sensitivity" setting that probably does the same thing. But, if you increase it, you'll get more noise/grain.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 10:05 AM   #5

Thanks JimC. I am able to manually change my f/stop to 1.8, shutter speed, and iso down to 50 for video.

the high sensitivity setting is for low light, and brings the shutter speed to 1/4 or something like that, so the video becomes very choppy.

When i lower my f-stop to 1.8, the max shutter speed only get's up to 1000. In the specs it says up to 1/10000, but I am just not finding this to be possible.

thanks for the website.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 10:14 AM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfear View Post
I am able to manually change my f/stop to 1.8, shutter speed, and iso down to 50 for video.
You'll need higher (not lower) ISO speeds for faster shutter speeds for a given lighting level and aperture. But, I'm not sure it's using that setting for video (as the specs on Sanyo's site seem to imply that the ISO speed setting is for still images, with the "sensitivity" setting used for video). You'd have to try it to see if it makes any difference.

Each time you double the ISO speed, a camera will need shutter speeds twice as fast for the same aperture and lighting levels to give you the same exposure.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 10:43 AM   #7
Administrator

It could also be that the fastest shutter speeds have some sort of limits on the modes you can achieve them with (i.e., resolution settings, frame rate/quality settings, etc.). If the manual doesn't go into it anywhere, you may want to ask Sanyo about it and see if they know the answer if you really need shutter speeds faster than 1/1000 second for some reason.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 12:36 PM   #8

For properly exposed video you need to be 1/60sec or 1/120 for 1080/60p or 1/30 or 1/60 for 1080/30p. You achieve this by adding an nd filter or switching it on in the sanyo. Nothing will be achieved in video by such high shutters! hope this helps.
Adventsam is offline   Reply With Quote