Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Aug 1, 2009, 9:49 AM   #1

Default HD700 or CG10

Hi all

For the second time in three years, I have fried my DV cam's firewire. First a Canon, now a JVC. A faulty PC card, I presume.
So I'm taking the opportunity to cheaply crossgrade from tape to SD card and have narrowed it down to two Sanyo Xacti models - the CG10 and HD700.

The HD700 is cheaper and has a docking station, HDMI connectivity and library archiving functionality. The CG10 seems to have none of these but has a slightly bigger LCD and accepts bigger capacity SD cards. (It also has a higher pixel count for stills, but it's movies I'm buying it for.)

Crucially, does anyone know if the image quality is any better on one versus the other?

Grateful for any insight.

David
Fujifilm L55
Sony HVR-A1 (work)
gadg17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 1, 2009, 11:12 AM   #2

get a hd1010 to start. 350 dollars at amazon
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2009, 12:22 AM   #3

HD1010 is an excellent camera, then again, I am not a fan of CMOS sensors (considering you are coming from a CCD miniDV camera, you will probably notice the difference.. and not in a good way)

BUT, I've seen plenty of videos from the Xacti FH1, and I would put my money on that instead. Amazon currently has it for like $430 dollars or so, and the quality is miles ahead of what you will get from the CG10 or your previous minidv. Here's a link to it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001Q3M9PY
subc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2009, 9:26 AM   #4

Both CG10 and FH1 (and all other new models) use CMOS sensors.
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2009, 2:12 PM   #5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVoOuqjyEl8
ccd lens senser gotta love star trek beams
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2009, 4:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindsight View Post
Both CG10 and FH1 (and all other new models) use CMOS sensors.
I am aware of this, except that the rolling shutter on the FH1 compared to the CG10 is almost non-existent..
Old Aug 8, 2009, 3:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishycomics View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVoOuqjyEl8
ccd lens senser gotta love star trek beams
Fishycomics, did you shoot that on an HD700, as the tags imply? It's impressively noise-free.
Fujifilm L55
Sony HVR-A1 (work)
gadg17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2009, 4:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadg17 View Post
Fishycomics, did you shoot that on an HD700, as the tags imply? It's impressively noise-free.
movie, photo, and wind are all on sometimes we forget the settings we're on. It may also have been the highest res as well. this is not `1440 but 1280. and I am happy with it.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2009, 5:39 PM   #9

Funny I came in here to ask the exact same question!!

I'm looking at getting a new flash camcorder. Right now I've got an old JVC GZ-MC100 (remember those?) which is a SD camcorder that records to CF. Not a bad camera, but a couple of things are bugging me with it. Mainly its low light is garbage. Now, I realize low light isn't a strong point of these mini-camcorders, but the JVC constantly loses focus on even decent indoor lighting which is a killer. Forget about zooming in anything other than broad daylight.. half the time it simply won't be able to focus at all and you have to just zoom back.

SO, what i've been looking for is a decent flash pocket sized camcorder that has at least some zoom (say 5x) and at least 720p (i figure if i'm going to upgrade, i'm going to upgrade) and at least better low light than the JVC.

From what i've seen Sanyo seems to have the best options. Most of the others are cheesy youtube shooters which isn't what I'm looking for. I've looked at the Sanyo HD1010 and spec wise its certainly seems the best.. but from the pictures it seems too large and unwieldy to be easily thrown in your pocket which is the whole point.

So that has left the HD700, the HD800 and the CG10. Out of those does anyone have a recommendation? Is the 700 a better camera performance wise than the CG10? Price wise the 700 and CG10 are about the same ($200 or so). The HD800 is around $300.. but is it worth the price? I'd like to stay at $300 or lower if possible.

So anyway any suggestions greatly appreciated. I'm open to other models as well but like i said everything it seems like the sanyos are where its at in this price range.

Thanks in advance!
number six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2009, 7:21 PM   #10

As I recall, the HD800 is what I call an 'in-between' model that really doesn't deserve much attention. For example: try to find that model at Sanyo's website and you'll see what I mean.

The only real differences between the HD700 and the Cg10 are:

1- field of view. The HD700 appears to be much narrower, giving the user a 'zoomed-in' sensation even at the widest setting.
2- cmos sensor (cg10) versus ccd (hd700). All you really need to know is: with a ccd sensor, you have to be careful of bright lights, because they tend to create light streaks (vertical white lines) on the recorded video. Just remember that this is NOT a defect.

With a cmos sensor that issue is non-existent, but then you will experience something else called 'rolling shutter', that basically makes your video 'woobly' when panning quickly from left to right, or 'stretched' when tilting up or down abruptly.