Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Aug 11, 2009, 11:19 PM   #1

Default What resolution settings for DVD output

Which of the resolution settings should I use for output into DVD?

All the resolution settings doesn't seems to fit the DVD resolution of 720 x 576 for PAL.

Full HD: 1920 x 1080 (60 fields / 16Mbps)
Full HR: 1920 x 1080 (60 fps/ 24Mbps)
Full SHQ: 1920 x 1080 (30 fps/ 12Mbps)
HD-SHQ: 1280 x 720 (30 fps/ 9Mbps)
TV-SHQ: 640 x 480 (30 fps/3Mbps)
bjory is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2009, 2:05 AM   #2

NTSC: 720x480 pixels
PAL: (as you mention) 720x576 pixels

When going to a DVD format, and to keep the highest quality possible, you must have your source video at a higher resolution than the vertical resolution of DVD for your region (PAL or NTSC)... that means, at least 1280x720.

You will have to resize during encoding (most likely anamorphic, since your source is 16:9 and a DVD tends to be 4:3) or you can crop your video... is up to you really. Here is what I would do.

This is your original image:

This is what you need to encode to (PAL format anamorphic) 720x576

If you flag the video correctly (16:9) during encoding, then when you playback the DVD on a CRT TV (4:3), this is what is going to look like:

And when you playback the DVD on a widescreen TV, this is what it would look like:

THE DOWNSIDE: Your DVD, regardless of being a widescreen (anamorphic) disc, it will still be a STANDARD DEFINITION video, so it will never look as good as the original, specially if you playback such DVD on a true 16:9 display (be it 720p or 1080p).

This is because during encoding to PAL 4:3 anamorphic format (flagged as 16:9), there will be a significant quality loss that you will not get back during playback.

All you got to do is count the pixels.
1280x720 = 921600 pixels every frame.
720x576 = 414720 pixels every frame. Less than HALF the original resolution!

Last edited by subc; Aug 12, 2009 at 2:08 AM.
subc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2009, 3:54 AM   #3

use dvd
visit home site
http://www.rastersoft.com/programas/devede.html

windows installer here
http://www.majorsilence.com/devede

it has pal and ntsc. all you do is get your files, put them on your pc, load them on devede and it creates an iso file. use
http://www.imgburn.com/

to burn iso to dvd format. these tools are free, no spyware im aware of.

dont worry about res or anything. the software does all the calculations for you. after you load all your files, you will notice that it its 140% or what ever greater than 100% of dvd capacity, all you need to do is click on "adjust disk usage" and automatically adjusts the disk for optimal usage max 99% and if you are under, it will cap at the maximum bitrate a dvd player supports which is around 8-9gb/sec or some od number with audio bitrate calculated into the equation as well. this program requires no codecs or anything installed on a pc since it uses ffmpeg and it has all codecs available. it works on windows but i use linux. This combo is best for people who shoot videos and want to burn something quick to export to dvd. Im not kidding when I say you can burn a dvd with video encoding done and iso image done. conversion to iso image in devede takes around an hour for a 3 hour video. Image burn iso to dvd takes around 10-15 minutes for each dvd. Perfect for those demo dvd's

try it.

in linux i use kdenlive with devede and brasero to burn my dvd's kdenlive 7.5 with mlt 2.4.4 and also an all activated ffmpeg. i can create edited videos of around 3 hours in under 6 hours with transitions and text effects. the video playback is fully gpu accelerated so i have a very fast system and runs better than most commercial applications. Here is a trick i recently learned. to avoid audio video sync issues in kdenlive, split the audio from the video by right clicking on the click and selecting "split audio". sync problem solved.

Last edited by Cresho; Aug 12, 2009 at 4:06 AM.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2009, 4:52 AM   #4

Thanks guys!

So means that I can use any of the resolution settings to capture my videos as long as I use the right tools to do the encoding.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 5:37 AM   #5

also remember the frames per second, if you encode to PAL the fps will drop to 25fps and you will notice a jerky in the video playback, with NTSC you wont so I would say encode to NTSC as that is 30fps which is what the camera records at, even if you record at 60fps and encode to 30fps you wont see the jerky effect. Try it out and see.
TheTurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2009, 10:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjory View Post
Thanks guys!

So means that I can use any of the resolution settings to capture my videos as long as I use the right tools to do the encoding.

This is correct, in devede, I mixed each video with a wide screen and a tv screen format or 16:9 and 4:3 and it manages to adjust accordingly. even framerate was different between 60 and 30 or 59.94 or 29.97. Devede manages to adjust to your dvd spec. just remember that you should take turks advice. I say record various footage in different framerate and resolution. after dumping these files in devede, you will notice you can highlight each flick and click properties to deinterlace or fix widescreens.

Use 5 minute clips for each. Do this until you find a quality or combination you like. play the movie back on your dvd player just to verify the quality. make sure you buy a spindle of dvd's. i have 100 for 30 bucks. so prepare to toss a few to the trash for experimenting purpouses. It took me around 4 coasters to figure out what quality i liked.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 10:55 PM   #7

Hi,

What happens if I need to do some editing?

I tried using Premiere and editing is a pain, as I kept encountering problem when opening Sanyo video files .mp4 in Premiere.

It could be due to my PC configuration slow hardware.

What I did finally is to convert all the mp4 into DVAVI low quality and use Premiere to do the editing.

Is there any less painful way to keep converting into AVI and import back into Premiere? It took me 3 days just to edit proper a 15 mins video.

Problem with Sanyo cams are they don't allow changing the file format into AVI.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 12:13 AM   #8

download mp4cam2avi. This will convert the video footage of your camera mp4 to avi in seconds. do not reincode video but encode audio to pcm.

or

the best tool for splicing is
http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html

its fast and easy.

make sure you have
quicktimealt181.exe installed prior installing above. you can then reencode in hours and not in days.

it uses hardware accelerated gpu to speed process of video and plays fine. you can splice your stuff around and export and then import directly to devede since it takes like 99-100 percent codecs that are known.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 2:39 AM   #9

I have tried nearly every editing package available and found sony vegas 8.0 to be the best (v9 is out now). It handles the files without any problems and has built in templates for DVD authoring. Download the trial version and see if you like it, takes a bit of getting used to. A much simpler package is Ulead Video Studio (latest version 11?), it works well and is very easy to use but it not very powerful but for dragging clips in and creating a DVD you cant go wrong really. Hope that helps.
TheTurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2009, 6:21 AM   #10

vegas 8 is the best. I tried vegas 9 demo and it blows chunks. It is slower in video rendering on my system. Maybee a patch is needed.