Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (
-   Sanyo (
-   -   Xacti Library won't recognize card (

gadg17 Aug 21, 2009 5:40 PM

Xacti Library won't recognize card
Been trying to set up the Xacti Library on an HD700 using an Iomega Prestige 500gb external hard drive but somewhere along the line there's an incompatibility.

The HDD is FAT32 formatted, self-powered and USB2 compliant. But when I plug it in (using the Iomega cable and the Sanyo adapter) it says "Please insert memory card". Of course, the memory card is already in. Turning the camera off and on again gets me to the <Format Hard Disk?> screen but when I choose Yes, the formatting stops after a few seconds and the camera says No Card.

Have tried swapping cables, SD cards and reformatting the HDD a few times but always the same result. Anyone else seen anything like this?

Thanks for any help.

Cresho Aug 22, 2009 1:26 AM

borrow an external driveand test it. That is my cheapest advice. If you have a base, does it use power?

Not to knock on iomega but I hate them with a passion. Try an external drive with a chosen hardrive and not some brandname. Usually the chinese stuff is much more compatible than brand name.

gadg17 Aug 22, 2009 11:06 AM

Well, I returned the Iomega and bought a Verbatim drive elsewhere - exactly the same spec - and it works fine.

I can't be sure whether the Iomega was faulty (it worked normally when connected to a PC) or just incompatible. I just mention it in case it helps anyone contemplating buying one for use with a Xacti.

Cresho Aug 22, 2009 4:42 PM

I used an old ata133 drive with a purchsed external enclosure made in china. Works fine. 500gb.

ronaldkwok Aug 23, 2009 6:13 AM

I am using a Maxtor Basic 640GB external HDD with my Sanyo HD2000. It came pre-formatted in NTFS and I re-formatted it to FAT32 and it is working fine so far.