Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Aug 27, 2009, 5:03 PM   #1

Default Sanyo's warranty stinks!

I have two TH1s and a HD1000. Have always liked the cameras and they worked well.

Well one of the TH1s broke while it was recording. After calling the service center to get it fixed I found out that it has 1 year parts warranty, but the warranty for the labor to fix it is only 90 days. Well it broke within the 90 days, but because I called to get it fixed after 90 days they will not cover the labor costs. I even told the customer service manager that I can prove that it broke withing 90 days. He told me that if I had emailed them it would be ok, even if I called after 90 days. Well, I have it on video! He said does not matter. What is up with having two different time frames for warranty coverage

I will NEVER buy another Sanyo camera!!!
scsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 27, 2009, 5:44 PM   #2

Sony and Panasonic, as well as many other manufacturers have the same type of warranty so it's not just Sanyo. I do agree that the split warranty thing where you only get 90 days labor is ridiculous.

It should be a year for both. Due to often outrageous labor charges they make up (er I mean charge), the warranty may as well be 90 days both parts and labor for all the good it will do.

I will give it to Canon and even Aiptek, in that they have a symmetrical warranty.

Out of interest, did you purchase it new with a major credit card? Many will double the warranty for you in that case. Mine does. ie you will get 6 months labor instead of just 3. Still not great but it would definitely help in your case.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2009, 6:36 PM   #3

This is the time us in europe get a better deal, we get at least 1 year on parts and labour and in some instances we get 2 years. I think they are making it two years or maybe it's already in.
herbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2009, 3:34 PM   #4

rgvcam may i ask what ur creditcard is that does that?? Discover??
nitti48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2009, 4:11 PM   #5

uh... This may come a surprise to ya but, NOBODY'S warranty/guarantee is worth beans anymore. They all have some little hidden loophole for them to wiggle out of being honest and responsible. I have yet to turn to any manufacturer with a defective product and not had to fight them tooth and nail to get them to honor their warranty. I even had a car warranty company who touted a bumper-to-bumper warranty and when it came time for them to pay the piper, I HAD TO SUE THEM TO GET THEM TO DO THEIR JOB! I won, BTW. They paid and had to cover not only all the repairs, but court costs and my lawyers fees as well. Then, of course, they got ticked and cancelled my warranty. heheheh

It ain't just Sanyo.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2009, 7:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitti48 View Post
rgvcam may i ask what ur creditcard is that does that?? Discover??
If you have a Mastercard ask your credit card company for the extended warranty benefits. It's from Mastercard itself, not the actual credit card company. It does not have to be registered to receive this benefit.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 7:09 PM   #7

I generally agree with you although to be fair, when my Canon A1000 needed warranty work, it was quick and went without a hitch and they make it easy too as you just fill it out online and send it.

Doesn't surprise me about car warranties since they seem to promise too much anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
uh... This may come a surprise to ya but, NOBODY'S warranty/guarantee is worth beans anymore. They all have some little hidden loophole for them to wiggle out of being honest and responsible. I have yet to turn to any manufacturer with a defective product and not had to fight them tooth and nail to get them to honor their warranty. I even had a car warranty company who touted a bumper-to-bumper warranty and when it came time for them to pay the piper, I HAD TO SUE THEM TO GET THEM TO DO THEIR JOB! I won, BTW. They paid and had to cover not only all the repairs, but court costs and my lawyers fees as well. Then, of course, they got ticked and cancelled my warranty. heheheh

It ain't just Sanyo.