Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Sep 23, 2009, 10:33 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbueller View Post
Well, installing those programs causes WMP to crash every time I load an MP4 file. So now that's completely botched for me. The Splash player is rather nice, but jeez - no volume control in the player? Really? Is this 1998?

So VLC won't work for 60fps MP4 files, and neither will WMP for me now that it's crashing. Anyone else know a player that works ok with these files?
I use Splash and works great!
BTW. there is a volume control in latest release. Be patient, these software is getting better and better with each release.
sally77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2009, 2:41 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by subc View Post
Know that 1080i has an effective vertical resolution of 540 pixels, so if you were to convert your 1080P to 1080i, you would be throwing away half the resolution (and you are not getting it back).
That's not true.. 1080/60i has a spatial resolution of 1080 pixels.. you just split the frame temporally. Sure, you can view in logically as 560/60p, but it's not.. the eye sees the full resolution.

A thought experiment... if you take 1080/60p, and cut out half the frames, you have 1080/30p as a result. Whether you display this as 1080/30p or 1080/60i, you are displaying precisely the same data. And yeah, back to your original claim, you are tossing out half of the information.. but that's half of the temporal data, not half of the spatial data.

You can do likewise on the spatial axis... if you downconvert your 1080/60p to 720/60p, you're dropping half the spatial resolution, but maintaining full temporal resolution.

The bad new, of course, is that there's no standard media format for playing 1080/60p. Most new HDTVs will accept is input, and the PS3 will produce it as output.. I guess the playback on the PS3 is still a question, but it's theoretically possible, even if the current firmware won't do it (petition to Sony....). But shooting in 1080/60p, at least you have the option, after the fact, of using 1080/60i, 1080/30p, or 720/60p as your final Blu-Ray production.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subc View Post
It appears to me you are trying to make the PS3 process more information than what the hardware was designed for. The best thing to do is to decimate every other frame in order to get 30P from a 60fps recording and not lose audio sync.
Oh please.. the PS3 is playing video games at 1080/60p. It produces a 1080/60p output from any video source you put in there. And pretty much everything is does is based on the software.

You need MPEG-4 AVC level 4.2 support to properly handle 1080/60p. I'll bet the PS3, like a number of PC programs, has software support only for level 4.1 (which is what you expect to find on Blu-Ray disc). I would bet the PS3 is plenty powerful enough to handle 1080/60p video, though it might need a firmware update. Which might mean, you'll have to wait until Sony is interested in making a 1080/60p camcorder... and they just recently got around to 24p!
hazydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2009, 2:47 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbueller View Post
Well, installing those programs causes WMP to crash every time I load an MP4 file. So now that's completely botched for me. The Splash player is rather nice, but jeez - no volume control in the player? Really? Is this 1998?

So VLC won't work for 60fps MP4 files, and neither will WMP for me now that it's crashing. Anyone else know a player that works ok with these files?
I didn't do this either, but it's kind of gimme... has anyone tried the Nero ShowTime application that actually comes on the CD included with the FH1? I ask because, well, it pretty much does play FH1 1080/60p video... at least with some caveats.

Nero does multithreaded playback, and it uses video acceleration. On my laptop (Core2 Duo 2.4GHz, nVidia 8600M, Vista 64-bit) it takes about 100% of the available CPU, even using the GPU, but it plays at 60fps. On my desktop (Core2 Q9550 2.83GHz, nVidia 8600GTS, XP 32-bit) I can play these using Splash Lite without GPU, but it's using 65-75% of the whole quad CPU. With acceleration in Nero, it's down around 50%. Which kind of tracks.. I expect 20-25% CPU when playing a Blu-Ray on that machine using video acceleration.
hazydave is offline   Reply With Quote