Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Aug 31, 2009, 4:15 AM   #1

Default Getting 1080p/60 FH1 vids to play on PS3 - reinterlace?

So I think we all agree that shooting 1080p/60fps videos on the FH1 is the best, but putting those files on a PS3 results in the video played in slow-motion with AV/sync problems. So how can I shoot in 1080p/60fps but get them to run on the PS3? My answer - I know that it'll play 1080p/30fps, or 1080p/60fields per sec. I'd like to take the progressive videos and reinterlace them to produce 1080i/60fps videos.

Is there a PC tool that will do this easily? I've Googled the heck out of reinterlacing HD video, but no one wants to do that - they all want deinterlacing. Any ideas for free software that will do the conversion with a minimal amount of loss would be awesome. Thanks!
fbueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2009, 10:23 AM   #2

Know that 1080i has an effective vertical resolution of 540 pixels, so if you were to convert your 1080P to 1080i, you would be throwing away half the resolution (and you are not getting it back).

It appears to me you are trying to make the PS3 process more information than what the hardware was designed for. The best thing to do is to decimate every other frame in order to get 30P from a 60fps recording and not lose audio sync.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 1:56 PM   #3

I'd be keeping the original files for future use, this is just so we can watch them on the large screen nicely on occasion without the camera plugged in.

So even if I just want to downconvert 1080p/60 to 1080p/30, what's a good (free?) tool for that on Windows? Is there any that won't require recoding and is easy to use? Thanks for your input...
Old Aug 31, 2009, 2:00 PM   #4

if you wish, post a sample raw video straight from the camera (10 seconds or more), so that I can come up with a procedure to do this.
You can use mediafire to host the file.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 2:19 PM   #5

Thanks for the offer, subc! I'll get something together for you later tonight and let you know. That's very nice of you.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 3:55 AM   #6

I added a brief 60fps video with lip syncing and tapping on a wall so you can ensure there are no syncing issues after conversion. You can download it here -

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=3...4e75f6e8ebb871
Old Sep 1, 2009, 4:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbueller View Post
I added a brief 60fps video with lip syncing and tapping on a wall so you can ensure there are no syncing issues after conversion. You can download it here -

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=3...4e75f6e8ebb871
Got the file, and it plays fine on my notebook (with QT, since VLC refuses to keep up with the framerate for some reason). I'll process it and let you know what I did after I get some sleep (almost 2am now). hang on
Old Sep 1, 2009, 5:00 AM   #8

Funny, VLC won't keep up with the framerates on the 1080p/60fps videos that come from the FH1 for me either. I've been relegated to using (shudder) Windows Media Player and it plays them fine. Weird.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 4:07 PM   #9

Any updates? Thanks!
Old Sep 4, 2009, 4:11 PM   #10

Have you tried checking the 'Skip loop filter' option for h264 decoding in VLC? I had similar problems with some AVCHD files from a Canon HF100 not keeping up. This option fixed it.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote