Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Sep 3, 2009, 7:35 AM   #1
C-P

Default HD1010 ND filter

The manual clearly specifies an integrated Neutral Density (ND) filter in the lens specs, however, there's no apparent option in the menu to enable it!

It works fine with my HD700 when you select either Manual, Shutter priority or Aperture priority mode (Indicated by ND in the GUI).

Any ideas how to enable it in the HD1010? Any HD2000 owners maybe enabled it in their model? Might be similar way to do it, if possible.
C-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 3, 2009, 8:18 PM   #2

I have the HD2000. It would appear that the ND filter is built into the lens and cannot be manually disabled. I could not find anything on doing this in the menu or in the user manual.
ronaldkwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2009, 10:09 AM   #3

I had always thought the ND filter was a physical part of the lens arrangement. I have seen in reviews that they mention some of the previous Xactis could turn this on and off. How would this be achieve in this case?
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2009, 2:19 PM   #4
C-P

On my HD700 you just turn it on or off from the menu when you select either Manual, Aperture, or Shutter Priority modes. It's an extra parameter on its own above aperture and shutter speed values, showing on the screen as ND or ND crossed with a diagonal when disabled.

Yes the ND integrated inside the camera lens assembly but that doesn't mean it is always enabled (why would anyone want to do deliberately block so much light at all times!) Yet I can still not find an option to enable/disable it nor have I noticed it being enabled automatically when there's lot of light in the scene..

I'm confused...
Old Sep 4, 2009, 4:07 PM   #5

But that was my point, how do they reduce the light without a physical ND lens filter, do they somehow alter the sensitivity of the Sensor? Obviously whatever they do cannot be as good as a normal ND filter otherwise this option would be on all cameras?
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2009, 10:43 AM   #6
C-P

When there's too much light in the scene the camera either closes down the aperture, increases the shutter speed, lowers the ISO sensitivity, or a combination of all three!

When you need to keep certain shutter speeds for the sake of a preferred motion 'look and feel' or aperture for depth of field preferences (though less relevant on such small sensor cameras) and the available light is too strong, it is then that you need the ND filter to prevent having 'overexposed' recordings.