Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Sep 3, 2009, 7:46 AM   #1

Default Wide angle lens for HD2000

Hi!

I just bought new camcorder Sanyo HD2000 and next I am going to buy wide-angle lens. I want minimum distortion, because I don't like correcting lens errors with software afterwards. Problem is that there isn't any distortion values about Sanyo VCP-L07WEX lens, does anybody know specifications of this lens?

Here are my two choices:

VCP-L07WEX

http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mai...t.php?pid=5388

or

Raynox DCR6600PRO

http://raynox.co.jp/english/dcr/dcr6...xdcr6600eg.htm

Which wide-angle lens are you recommending? My maxinum price range is about 150.
Quenaelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 3, 2009, 10:12 AM   #2

The basic lens on the HD200 is pretty narrow, the same as my HD1010 at 38mm. I actually went with the Sanyo Semi-Fisheye lens which has a macro lens built into it.

I already had the Ranox 6600pro wide angle lens but it is very big and heavy and I needed something smaller as I mount my camera on my hang glider.

Here is a test I did with the standard lens, 6600pro and the semi-fisheye.
http://www.vimeo.com/1741337

If you need a really wide lens the semi-fisheye is very small, much smaller than the Sanyo wide angle lens. One thing though you cannot zoom past 4X or it blurs the image.

Bottom line....

1. If the size of the lens is not a concern the 6600pro is an excellent lens and I bought it for my still camera mainly because of the minimum distortion of the lens.

2. With the semi-fisheye lens fitted I can still fit the camera in the back pocket of my jeans, with the Raynox lens I can't.

I hope this helps and doesn't confuse the issue too much.

Cheers

Robert
relate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2009, 11:05 AM   #3

I hate any kind of distortion in wide angle lenses, so I wan't lens which makes smallest distortion possible and still maximum wide angle possible. I also use HD2000 for still pictures, so lens would be for my still camera also I don't know about the size, HD2000 isn't very pocketable camcorder compared to my HD700. I use small SLR camera backpack for HD2000.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 6:17 AM   #4

I found old thread about wide-angle lenses and saw one test picture.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/sa...on-lenses.html

Sanyo original 0,7 wide angle:

It looks like there is quite a bit distortion in corners.

normal view:

relate2 do you have any similar Raynox test pictures and what do you think, which 0.7x wide-angle is better Raynox or Sanyo?
Old Sep 7, 2009, 5:02 PM   #5

he does but with video. you can look him over at vimeo on his posts.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2009, 7:03 PM   #6

I think the bottom line Quenaelin is that wide angle len's equal distortion. The Raynox is .66 against the Sanyo's .7 not much but also being a physically larger lens it lets in more light if you are shooting in low light situation.

Regarding other wide angle len's if you look at this video from Jan van der Meer who does a lot of Exacti videos you will see a wide angle lens on his camera. I am sorry I don't remember the name of it but Jan raved about it and I looked at buying one for my camera until I found out it was worth more than the camera itself.

http://www.vimeo.com/groups/sanyo/videos/6445171

I think you may just have to put up with the distortion which in video I don't think it is as much a problem compared to photos.

Robert
Old Sep 8, 2009, 7:27 AM   #7

I haven't tried any wide-angle lens before that is why I am asking these things. I don't want to test all these lenses with trial and error. I looked lot of test videos about Raynox 6600 and it looks like sharpness suffers when zooming to max so it isn't full zoomable lens after all? I wonder is this also adapter problem, maybe image would be more sharper if used without any adapter rings?

Raynox 6600PRO test: http://www.vimeo.com/3022539
Sanyo VCP-L07W test: http://www.vimeo.com/1575748

Hard to judge from these test videos, but it looks like VCP-L07W has sharper picture than 6600PRO when zoomed to max?

Could I also try wide-angle lens with 37 mm thread, like Canons or Sony's? Is there going to be too much vigneting, because lens diameter is a bit smaller than Sanyos 40,5 mm and I also need adapter rings to fit it to my camera? How small wide-angle lens I could use without noticable vigneting?
Old Sep 8, 2009, 9:43 AM   #8

No wide angle lens will give you a photo as sharp as the standard lens at full zoom. They are made to be used at their widest angle or slightly zoomed in.

If I had to choose a wide angle lens for normal video, not my hang gliding where I have the camera mounted 2 feet to my side I would choose the Raynox.

Good luck with whatever choice you make.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 5:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quenaelin View Post
Could I also try wide-angle lens with 37 mm thread, like Canons or Sony's? Is there going to be too much vigneting, because lens diameter is a bit smaller than Sanyos 40,5 mm and I also need adapter rings to fit it to my camera? How small wide-angle lens I could use without noticable vigneting?
I have to reply to myself, since nobody haven't answered this yet. After searching lots of information about this subject from this forum and others, answer is simply no, you can't use smaller wide-angle lenses without any kind of vigneting especially with step down adapters. Edit: I hope somebody could prove me wrong, since there is much wider range of lenses with 37 mm thread.

Last edited by Quenaelin; Sep 11, 2009 at 5:55 AM.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 6:50 AM   #10

I have a suggestion Quenaelin, take your camera into a large photographic store and try out all of their wide angle lens's until you find one you like. I don't think we can do any more for you.