Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Sep 7, 2009, 2:14 AM   #1

Default Sanyo FH-1 Resolutions and Frame Rates

Hi all,

What's the best resolution to use for shooting?

FULL-HR 60fps?
FULL-HD 60FPS?
FULL-SHQ?

This will be mostly for wedding videos - so just people standing around, etc.

Also when I shoot in 60i mode (Full-HD) I get a a comb tearing effect when panning ... does 60i require post-processing before it's suitable for viewing (especially on a progressive display like a LCD monitor)?

Last edited by coolspot; Sep 7, 2009 at 2:48 AM.
coolspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2009, 4:23 AM   #2

I would avoid shooting in interlaced mode unless you are just showing the videos straight from the camera to a TV.

Interlaced video is harder to edit as each frame/field only has half the information. Progressive video where each frame is a complete photo is much easier for editing programs to process.

Another point, 60 frames/sec is very good for fast motion but if you are just doing a wedding as you said, with people just sitting around, I would use 30 frames/sec and save the disk space.

Just remember with no Optical Stabilisation (I don't think the FH-1 has optical stabilisation) to keep the camera steady or buy yourself a mono-pod which will help a lot for stable video.
relate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2009, 10:40 PM   #3

Generally, as with still images, it's best to use the highest quality mode your camera is capable of as you can never capture that moment again. Considering your camera is capable of 60p at Full HD and the fact that memory cards are cheap, I wouldn't even bother with the 60i mode at all unless going direct to a DVD for TV as relate2 said. Even then I would still choose 60p since 60i is not going to look good when you want to show it on progressive displays. Of course 60p at Hull HD will be a bear to edit unless you have a capable PC.

On the other hand for subjects where there isn't a lot of fast movement and is being held mainly indoors, the advantage to using 30p over 60p is that the low light ability should be enhanced since it has more time to expose each frame.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2009, 8:29 AM   #4

I suggest using 1080p/60 or 1080p/30 or 720p/30 when viewing with LCD monitor, but if you use TV for displaying you can also use 1080i/60. 1080p/60 isn't standard format (atleast now) and could cause problems when making Blu-Ray discs.
Quenaelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2009, 3:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolspot View Post
Hi all,

What's the best resolution to use for shooting?

FULL-HR 60fps?
FULL-HD 60FPS?
FULL-SHQ?

This will be mostly for wedding videos - so just people standing around, etc.
It depends quite a bit on how you plan to deliver the video.

If you're making Blu-Ray or DVD discs, there's no immediate advantage to shooting in 1080/60p versus 60i. The one reason one might... you can chose to author the Blu-Ray at 1080/60i or 720/60p after the fact. But for a wedding (I have shot several dozen myself), there's really no reason you'd prefer the speed of 720/60p to the resolution of 1080/60p.

Technically, you could also shoot at 1080/30p. This would go onto Blu-Ray as 1080/60p, but since nearly all digital TVs upconvert to 60p for display, you would really wind seeing what's effectively 1080/60p. This would lend a more film-like look to the picture. Dang, that's another possible reason to just shoot in 1080/60p, and sort it all out in post.

One downside... when you shoot at 1080/60i, you're encoding at 17Mb/s, at 1080/60p, you're encoding at 24Mb/s. So at 1080/60i, your per frame bit budget is actually higher... so the compression artifacts should be less. I haven't noticed anything heinous shooting at 60p, but I just got my FH1, and have shot soccer games, which definitely benefit from the speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolspot View Post
Also when I shoot in 60i mode (Full-HD) I get a a comb tearing effect when panning ... does 60i require post-processing before it's suitable for viewing (especially on a progressive display like a LCD monitor)?
What you're doing there is a fairly primitive de-interlacing.. just showing a 1080/60i image in a progressive display. You're going to see "tearing", "mice teeth", etc that you wouldn't expect on a normal display. Some of this you'll always see on a progressive display.. it's the trick of interlace that you don't notice it, visually, because of the time factor. A digital TV will upconvert 1080/60i to 1080/60p by messing around with fields.. I think Microsoft calls this bobbing or weaving or some-such, but whether that's used on your PC, depends on the player.

The other question is online... if you're doing video online as well, or in other computer formats, you really don't want interlace. You can de-interlace a video render (I've done lots of 1080/60i to 720/30p renderings for YouTube) by blending or interpolating, which works pretty well when you're downrezzing, a bit less well when you're not. Shooting at 1080/60p will certainly remove the need to worry about any of this stuff.

For weddings, though, there's another concern... that 4GB gap. Now, I haven't shot a wedding with a single camera in years.. I always use two or three, so any given gap of a few seconds isn't a killer.. but it's still perhaps a problem.. it might happen in the best part of the video. Still better than a tape change, of course.. this isn't a new problem, just a concern. These do happen less often at 1080/60i or 30p. So, just another thing to consider.
hazydave is offline   Reply With Quote