Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Sep 8, 2009, 6:11 PM   #1

Default Reading SD/HD In Card Reader

I have a SD reader both in my computer and printer..When I put this sd/hd 16GB the printer says a memory card error and the puter reads nothing..You can either lock the card or not..I keep it unlocked..Might it be because it is a HD..SD card??

This is for a HD1010..when I use the docking station and the camera as a card reader it is ok..Any help would be appreciated
nitti48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 8, 2009, 6:32 PM   #2

Are you sure they are capable of reading SDHC cards? Any capacity above 2GB will be designated SDHC whereas those 2GB and under are regular SD cards which is an older standard. Older Devices were only capable of reading of regular (non SDHC) cards.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2009, 7:20 PM   #3

I guess not but my Windows XP Professional backup puter reads it???
Old Sep 8, 2009, 9:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitti48 View Post
I guess not but my Windows XP Professional backup puter reads it???
Its not your old "puter" that is reading the card, its the card reader attached to the old computer.

SD and SD/HC are not the same thing. SD readers can not read SD/HD cards (no "forward" compatibility). SD/HC readers can read SD cards (backwards compatibility). Sounds like you need a new reader.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 2:09 AM   #5

I can confirm this as I have tons of expirience and used around 5-6 card readers. The ones from china works the best I am assuming since most the cards themselves are made from china.

I have a silverstone pc card reader on one of my bays. I pulled out the china one and placed it on my brothers pc. That one reads all my cards and allowes deletion of files and the silverstone reads them but wont allow me to delete them or reads some cards.

This is compatability issues. Even if you have a full sdhc card reader, you will find some cards not working at all. I seem to have found a work around for this by purchasing a card reader at the swapmeet for a dollar and it allowes me to read and delete all card information. If I use the silverstone just for card reading, its fine. I can always delete them on the camera itself. The silverstone card reader has been good to me and I am not intending to throw it away just yet. I have 2 16gb and both are read through it but just one will allow for deletion of files.

You need to find a card reader that works for your cards and do not trash the one that's on your pc since that one works for other card manufacturer versions.

If you are good with the terminal and especially in linux, I suggest you fdisk your sd card and add a 32mb partition in the first part of the sdand then create the rest of the partition table in the format you want. For some reason, this will allow your card to be more compatible in all card readers. I haven't done this on the one that only reads for the only reason I am too lazy to do it.

Last edited by Cresho; Sep 9, 2009 at 2:14 AM.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2009, 9:38 AM   #6

OK Thanks so much for all the Information....