Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Sep 22, 2009, 9:48 AM   #1

Default Noobie 1010 help, please.

Note that this is my first serious digital camera.

I took the 1010 out to California and (poorly) recorded some video of my brother and friends at a surfing event.

The camera was set to "Snow & Beach" but most of the video is washed out and white; only video captured within about five meters is somewhat viewable.

Should I have used a UV and/or polarizing lens?
Why have this feature if it doesn't work out of the box?

I know I'm missing something (maybe a whole lot of something) and would appreciate any and all, non-flaming, help with this, please.

Thank you and best regards, L
lovetoflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2009, 12:12 PM   #2

Could be lots of reasons for the washed out look depending on the position of the sun or camera movement from a dark to light scene or strong backlight. How did things look on the lcd while filming? I try to us manual exposure all the time. My HD1010 tends to over expose slightly depending on the scene. If you had a sample you could upload I'm sure that would help people make a more informed analysis of your situation. A polarizing filter would help but I don't think it would have made much difference if the scene came out white. Try locking the exposure down manually on a bright day like today if you're still in CA and test out shooting differently lit areas to see the difference between beach and snow and manual.
Markinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2009, 8:45 PM   #3

Hi L,

Sorry to hear about your problem. I find my HD1010 is pretty good with exposure. The only time I have had problems is when I have set the exposure to "spot" instead of "multi" or "centre"

One thing I will suggest is to stay away from "Full HD" 1920X1080 60 fields/sec which is interlaced video, if at any later stage you want to edit your video. Interlaced video is fine if all you are going to do is connect your camera to the TV, but if you want to edit your video interlaced video makes it harder to edit.

I use Full-SHQ 1920X1080 30 frames/sec or HD-HR 1289X720 60 frames/sec if there is a lot of movement in my video.

Cheers

Robert
relate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2009, 9:56 AM   #4

Have you tried doing test video in other lighting situations to see if it copes with those ok? This would then reduce the possibility of a defective camera. The reason I say this is because you say "only video captured within about five meters is somewhat viewable."

Are you able to upload a sample on a video site such as vimeo, youtube etc? That way we can see how bad it is, to see if this is merely user error or possible a defective camera.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2009, 12:40 PM   #5

I've used the beach and snow setting @ the beach and noticed a washed out look. Seemed like there was too much gain/iso or something, it was never just white though.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 6:48 PM   #6

Took this with Snow and Beach..seems slightly over exposed to me but not much..
Attached Images

Old Sep 27, 2009, 5:12 PM   #7

your picture is not over exposed. It looks really good actually for a beach shot.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2009, 7:19 PM   #8

yes it's not too bad but I can barely make out that shark getting ready to attack that kid..
Old Sep 28, 2009, 5:24 AM   #9

Thank you for the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markinter View Post
How did things look on the lcd while filming?
It was mostly white until I came very close to a subject. Note that this is when I was at the beach only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markinter View Post
If you had a sample you could upload I'm sure that would help people make a more informed analysis of your situation.
I will try to provide sample video or a link to it soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relate2 View Post
Hi L,

Sorry to hear about your problem. I find my HD1010 is pretty good with exposure. The only time I have had problems is when I have set the exposure to "spot" instead of "multi" or "centre".

One thing I will suggest is to stay away from "Full HD" 1920X1080 60 fields/sec which is interlaced video, if at any later stage you want to edit your video. Interlaced video is fine if all you are going to do is connect your camera to the TV, but if you want to edit your video interlaced video makes it harder to edit.

I use Full-SHQ 1920X1080 30 frames/sec or HD-HR 1289X720 60 frames/sec if there is a lot of movement in my video.

Cheers

Robert
Thanks for the suggestions; I'll take a look at the settings.
For the most part I left the camera on auto at high-def and chose the Snow & Beach setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvcam View Post
Have you tried doing test video in other lighting situations to see if it copes with those ok? This would then reduce the possibility of a defective camera. The reason I say this is because you say "only video captured within about five meters is somewhat viewable."

Are you able to upload a sample on a video site such as vimeo, youtube etc? That way we can see how bad it is, to see if this is merely user error or possible a defective camera.
I'll try to get some video uploaded for viewing.

I suspect that my trouble is with getting the correct camera settings for low-light or very bright light situations.

It's a bit disappointing that this camera's auto settings have failed to provide me with a "point and shoot" experience but then it also has a lot of manual controls that should be able to help me get the shots that I want.

Please submit your favored settings for the beach and elsewhere so that I may try these out.

Thanks again, L
lovetoflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote