Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Nov 23, 2009, 9:13 PM   #11

I had the exact thing happen to me. I had it on Spot-focus, Auto-focus and I locked the focus. I was recording something probably 70 ft away in relatively low indoor light. The video by the end of the 20 minutes is unwatchable. I emailed Sanyo and got this response:
[INDENT]Thank you for contacting SANYO Service Canada.

For the application you mentioned we suggest to change the "AF lock on" to the 9 point focus feature.

Regards,

RB/INDENT]
I'm not sure what that means. Do you think it means not to use the AF lock or to use it with 9-point focus.
crempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2009, 5:40 PM   #12

You'd think it wouldn't matter what mode the auto focus was in once it's locked it should remain locked. I'd try the 9-point focus and lock it and see what happens. I mistakenly had the AE not AF locked and wondered what happened. They looked so much alike on the screen.
Markinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 5:31 PM   #13

I'm experiencing the same thing! Despite my attempts at setting everything to manual (focus, white balance, exposure, etc.), video quality always degenerates over time. After about 15 minutes, quality becomes less sharp. And after an hour, video becomes unwatchable. Did you solve this problem? Perhaps I should turn auto focus back on?
kenchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2010, 7:30 PM   #14

Hey, I just used the default settings except for the quality level which I set to the highest and didn't notice the degradation in video quality this time. I'm not sure what's going on here but perhaps by leaving auto-focus on, the camera can correct the drift in focus as time goes on. I will be fiddling with different settings to see if it's just one setting that's causing the problem or a combination of settings.
Old May 20, 2010, 2:10 AM   #15

Ok, I figured out that of you set auto focus lock on, the focus won't drift. Apparently, simply turning off auto focus doesn't mean focusing will stop. You have to explicitly tell the camera you don't want the focus to continue by setting auto focus lock on.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 3:47 PM   #16

Wait, so you're saying to keep autofocus enabled in the settings but use an AF Lock shortcut on the joypad and it'll stay in focus?
fbueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2010, 6:12 AM   #17

Yes, that's what I said, but I'm taking it back. I doesn't work. It did before, but not now and I'm not sure why.

So, basically, manual focus and autofocus lock do not work. You must keep autofocus on if you want to continuously record for long periods of time, otherwise most of your footage will be blurry.

I don't know of a firmware update that corrects this problem.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 2:28 PM   #18

Has the new models of the FH1 and HD2000 fixed this?

Last edited by Wayne12; Jun 16, 2010 at 4:30 PM.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 10:50 AM   #19

Just got a reply from Sanyo. They said I should send my camera back for repairs. I'm not sure if I want to do that 'cause this focusing problem seems inherent in all the cameras. So what are they going to do to fix it?
Old Jun 28, 2010, 4:26 PM   #20

Default Same bug with my FH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenchen View Post
Just got a reply from Sanyo. They said I should send my camera back for repairs. I'm not sure if I want to do that 'cause this focusing problem seems inherent in all the cameras. So what are they going to do to fix it?
I use this camera underwater on a remote instrument. With my previous HDV cameras, I would simply lock the manual focus to the 3-meter mark and it would not move for months. The little Sanyo set at 3-meter will sometimes drift out of focus in a matter of minutes. AF is OK but not well suited to my needs.

Too bad because a 60P camera without OIS is *exactly* what I need for my work.

R
subh2o is offline   Reply With Quote