Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jun 29, 2010, 6:42 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenchen View Post
Just got a reply from Sanyo. They said I should send my camera back for repairs. I'm not sure if I want to do that 'cause this focusing problem seems inherent in all the cameras. So what are they going to do to fix it?
They won't do a damn thing. This is a design flaw in every one of these cameras, I've had two of them and they both did it. Since this is confirmed by others in the forums, it appears that your specific camera isn't defective. It's a problem with all of their cameras, and it's a critical one that they refuse to acknowledge.
fbueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2010, 7:55 AM   #22

Just want to report the same thing. After 1.5 hour of continuous hd shooting the focus got blurred. Since I was using the manual focus I can tell you guys that the infinity focus point was now found at the 4meters mark. I suspect heat is the issue here.... I'm not happy since it will be difficult to make time-lapses movies due to this.
xtmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 12:36 PM   #23

Default Submit or not to repair?

I have involved the Sanyo Canada support.

They do not want to acknowledge that it is a defect without looking at it.
And they do not want to try to reproduce the issue themselves.

Sanyo only pays shipping costs one way (to send back the device), we have to assume full shipping cost to their repair center. Sanyo could not tell me how much time it would take.

This is poor service compared to my experience with Samsung or HP support. Samsung and HP both sent me a device replacement right away and I used the same box for returning the defective item, free of charge! That's good service!

I asked them to close the case as I don't want to pay for a refurbished camera that will most likely exhibit the same issue.

This said... my theory is that the battery contributes to heat and the heat makes the change in focus. Would the camera be as warm if it runs on AC-only? If so, for static shooting it might be best trying without the battery... anyone could test this?
xtmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2010, 7:55 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtmedia View Post
I asked them to close the case as I don't want to pay for a refurbished camera that will most likely exhibit the same issue.

This said... my theory is that the battery contributes to heat and the heat makes the change in focus. Would the camera be as warm if it runs on AC-only? If so, for static shooting it might be best trying without the battery... anyone could test this?
That's a good theory, actually. I tend to have the issue with infinity focus shots more than close up, so it's hard to test outdoors with an AC. Plus it doesn't happen every time so just because you don't see the drift one time doesn't mean it won't happen another.
fbueller is offline   Reply With Quote