Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Sep 24, 2009, 3:08 AM   #1

Default Fh1 Focus - Still Video Turns Blurry Over Time Despite Manual Focus

Has anyone experienced the following -

I set up the Fh1 in 1080/60 to record a scene for 10 minutes. The focus is manual and is clear at the start. By the time the video is finished (the camera is still on a tripod) the focus is blurry. It becomes noticeable around the 4-5 minute mark. I haven't touched the camera or moved it at all, and I'm using manual locked focus.

Has anyone else seen this? It's really weird, and I've confirmed it on more than one unit. I'm trying to figure out what's causing it.
fbueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 24, 2009, 4:38 AM   #2

wow, really this is something to be looked at. could you perhaps set the cam on a tripod, lock the focus on something, record some 10 minutes and post 2 screenshots? (one from the first few seconds, the other from the last few seconds). I am curious about this too
Old Sep 25, 2009, 12:50 AM   #3

Here are two images from today, one at the one minute point, the other at 10 minutes. It's a marked difference. Note that the AE Lock is on, and the AF lock is on as well.
Attached Images

Old Sep 25, 2009, 4:25 AM   #4

wow, this is a serious problem. I wonder if its a defective sensor/camera or if this is something that has been overlooked by other users. In fact, the footage becomes unusable really at that point.

question: have you contacted Sanyo about this problem? did you purchased a brand new unit or a refurb? is the warranty out?
Old Sep 25, 2009, 11:13 AM   #5

It's a new unit, not refurb. Can someone else run a few nighttime tests like this and see if the same happens to them? I haven't contacted Sanyo, I just got the camera a week ago and am on vacation...
Old Sep 25, 2009, 12:44 PM   #6

I take it this happens in all lighting conditions or just low light?
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2009, 2:34 AM   #7

It's more pronounced in low light, but happens in either. If I set the camera to auto-focus it doesn't happen. It's as if the auto focus can keep up with focus changes and adjust accordingly. In some situations that's ok - in others, it will keep changing in and out of focus constantly when someone steps in front of my camera.

I still haven't heard of anyone else running similar tests with their unit, preferably in low light...
Old Sep 26, 2009, 10:33 AM   #8

So it's almost as if the focus lock, well isn't keeping it locked! I wander if this is mechanical or a firmware issue. What was the temperature like? ie I wonder if the camcorder got very warm which might cause enough expansion of the lens assembly to place it out of focus. I don't know if that's possible but I can't think of another reason unless the mechanism suffers from some sort of 'creep'
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2009, 4:05 AM   #9

I filmed the moon for 25 mins or so without the focus lock but with focus set manually to infinity and didnt notice any loss of focus. This doesnt rule out a problem with AFL over time. Have you tried AFL and experienced the same problem as MF?
Markinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2009, 1:31 PM   #10

Infinity probably wouldn't work to test it, there's only potential 'drift' in one direction. You'd need to try filming somewhere that the focus is set in the middle manually. Makes sense?

Thanks for the tests, though, I'm curious to see any others...