Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Oct 17, 2009, 8:39 AM   #1

Default Sanyo HD1010 - newbie user

I have bought Sanyo HD1010 and unfortenutely didn't read the menu before got firmiliar with it, before I have made an important vedio (my son's first birthday) .

First, I have to note I'm totally lost with all kinds of HD modes the camera has Full-HD 1920 x 1080, 60fps; (Full-SHQ) 1920 x 1080, 30fps; (HD-HR) 1280 x 720, 60fps; (HD-SQH) 1280 x 720, 30fps.
If someone can please explain it a bit...

I have copied the MP4 files from the camera to my home PC and then my troubles have begun - I can't play them right (the video is not smooth, the audio is coming much later than the video).

After googling a bit I have installed the K_Lite codec pack, but it seems my problem is not codecs related. I guess my PC can't handle the Full-HD mode I used to film the videos.

My question is the following:
what can I do with these important films?
If I will burn them to DVD - will the TV play them?
Can I do something with my computer to make it play them smoothly?

I have switched the mode from Full-HD to something else and the PC play them correctly. But I need the films of my son first birthday!

Please help!
lvbks5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2009, 8:57 AM   #2

I'm on Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P4S800D-X.
Intel Pentium 4, CPU 3GHz, with 1GB RAM.
Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 9:55 AM   #3

It's ok no need to panic! If your computer is not powerful enough to play them, you just need to convert them to another format for playback. Of course never discard the original though as one day you will no doubt get a more capable PC. Even though it won't be able to play them, it will still be capable of coverting them, albeit slower than a more powerful one.

What you need to do, is convert them to DVD format as just burning the MP4 files to a DVD won't do you any good. They need to be in MPEG2 DVD format. They will not play back in High Definition of course as standard DVD's don't support that. For this you would need to convert to Blu-ray DVD format along with the appropriate player. But at least you'll be able to watch your video with friends and family on a TV!

Out of interest, what recording mode are you now using, in which they now play correctly on your PC? Hopefully your PC can still play one of the lower HD modes at least, but even if it can't I would still record in a HD mode as you can always temporarily convert them to a playable format in the meantime. Remember, once you capture an event, in a low quality mode, you can never go back in time and redo it. But if you record in HD, you will at least be able to make use of it sometime in the future once your equipment is upgraded!

The difference between the modes is that, apart from the resolution, they all use different bitrates and in some cases framerates which is why it is easier for less powerful PC's to play a lower quality mode and not others. Generally speaking the higher the resolution and/or framerate, the higher the bitrate which is why your PC has trouble playing the Full HD but not one of the lower bitrate modes. You can get a list of the modes and their corresponding bitrates here:

http://sanyo.com/xacti/english/produ...1010/spec.html

The Pentium 4 CPU that you have isn't quite powerful enough to play HD video on its own. I have a similar PC at work though it's even worse at 2.6Ghz. Even though it has an Nvidia graphics card it won't play HD video at all. You either need a more modern CPU or a better graphics card.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2009, 3:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvcam View Post
It's ok no need to panic! If your computer is not powerful enough to play them, you just need to convert them to another format for playback. Of course never discard the original though as one day you will no doubt get a more capable PC. Even though it won't be able to play them, it will still be capable of coverting them, albeit slower than a more powerful one.

What you need to do, is convert them to DVD format as just burning the MP4 files to a DVD won't do you any good. They need to be in MPEG2 DVD format. They will not play back in High Definition of course as standard DVD's don't support that. For this you would need to convert to Blu-ray DVD format along with the appropriate player. But at least you'll be able to watch your video with friends and family on a TV!

Out of interest, what recording mode are you now using, in which they now play correctly on your PC? Hopefully your PC can still play one of the lower HD modes at least, but even if it can't I would still record in a HD mode as you can always temporarily convert them to a playable format in the meantime. Remember, once you capture an event, in a low quality mode, you can never go back in time and redo it. But if you record in HD, you will at least be able to make use of it sometime in the future once your equipment is upgraded!

The difference between the modes is that, apart from the resolution, they all use different bitrates and in some cases framerates which is why it is easier for less powerful PC's to play a lower quality mode and not others. Generally speaking the higher the resolution and/or framerate, the higher the bitrate which is why your PC has trouble playing the Full HD but not one of the lower bitrate modes. You can get a list of the modes and their corresponding bitrates here:

http://sanyo.com/xacti/english/produ...1010/spec.html

The Pentium 4 CPU that you have isn't quite powerful enough to play HD video on its own. I have a similar PC at work though it's even worse at 2.6Ghz. Even though it has an Nvidia graphics card it won't play HD video at all. You either need a more modern CPU or a better graphics card.

Thank you for the detailed reply!
I have used Super software I have read about in one of the posts here to convert my files to AVI files my comp can play smoothly.

If I want to convert them to "Blu-ray DVD format along with the appropriate player", what free software should I use and what player to play them? If I have a DVD that suppose to support HD format - should I be able to play them smoothly on a TV (that I guess haa also to support HD)?

Regarding your question I'm now using (HD-HR) 1280 x 720, 60fps mode and my PC played it (also have a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 graphics card).
What graphic card / CPU can you recommend that will be able to play (Full-HD) 1920 x 1080, 60fps mode? Same question regarding the DVD player.

Thank you for your help!
Old Oct 17, 2009, 10:13 PM   #5

Please list me your pc spec! I am an advanced user...really.

I am extremely "knowledgfull" when it comes to stuff like this.

first off, if you just want to temporarely use the video footage and create a dvd, there is nothing more powerfull on this planet than devede for windows. you can get your mp4 files, throw them at the software and it will auto convert, create an iso image burnable with burn image to a dvd and playable on a dvd player. you will need to get your work flow first!

do this...get a 1 minute footage at highest resolution and put it on your pc.
then download
http://www.majorsilence.com/devede
then throw the mp4 video in it and convert to iso format. make sure you list if you are using pal or ntsc..ntsc fur usa.
then download
http://www.imgburn.com/
and burn the iso image to a single layer dvd. I mean single layer because it is more compatible. If you notice, if your footage is longer than 3 hours, there is an adjust button on devede. use this to adjust footage to adjust bitrate.

now that you have your dvd, test it. If devede cannot convert, there is an extra step. please let me know if you have problems because i have that info here as well.

now for your pc to play back video, you will ned a opengl 3d accelerated video player that disables the vista aero compositor to utilize the full power of the weak pc or laptop. you can view movies fine in this manner and when the video stops and closes, aero kicks right back in. we will get to this part after we situate you with dvd burning technique.

Last edited by Cresho; Oct 17, 2009 at 10:20 PM.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote