Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Oct 28, 2009, 8:55 AM   #1

Default New way to minimise hand shake?

For many of us the lack of a view finder on the Sanyo is a real pain, obviously the form factor design etc. doesnt really allow it but I saw recently that many people have been designing hoods with optics for a simulated view finder acorss the lcd.

The benefits can be huger, bringing the lcd upto eye-level and having it shaded can help enormously both with stability and accurracy of focusing.

Here is a diy job, someone posted which I may have a go at, alternatively if anybody has got any other ideas would be great for you to post. The most expensive solution is the zacuto z-finder for the Canon 5dmk2, but as you can see the idea to use the lcd as the viewfinder is not as stupid as it sounds.

http://www.myfunprojects.com/DIY%20L...%20finder.html
Adventsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 28, 2009, 10:20 AM   #2

Default hoodman, hoodloupe

Here's a real solution, need a special rubber strap for the lcd, but for me this woud be an amazing way to stabilize the sanyo more than holding like a gun? Plus it wont look like your holding a gun anymore?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hoodman-HoodLo...item53dda132bb
Old Nov 9, 2009, 10:49 AM   #3

I was thinking about exactly same questions and therefore I bought HoodLoupe 3.0, very expensive and very usefull in bright conditions, but it is quite difficult and cumbersome to use, so it is mostly spending time in my shelve.

It is just like replacing OIS with some kind of steady cam, result is maybe better but not very convenient to use. Good EVF is always good EVF, you can't replace it with these kind of replacement acessories, you can try but result isn't what you look for.
Quenaelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2009, 9:24 AM   #4

Default Hoodman, a bit big

Hi, I agree and disagree, I think the hoodman is a bit bulky for the application and weighs more than the sanyo, so it may be diffiult to use/want to use it. I have found a foldable linen loupe, <10, and have tried that across the back of my existing lcd's, a sanyo hd2, and it seems to work great, plus its very light and I can attach/re-attach quickly am sure.

I dont have the hd2000 yet as I've been humming hahing, I already have a Panasonic GH1 and to be honest in most situations it kills the Sanyo, but the GH1 has a slow lense in kit form and it frustrates with its manual zoom etc. However, I know from experience how poor the IS with the Sanyo's and so am thinking I want to try the sanyo first. Will order today/tomorrow and try the loupe and then decide.

The techniquie will be to hold the loupe over the back of the lcd and look to see if I can attach a simple plastic clamp to keep them in place, once I've solved it will post some photos. The linen loupe for others to try is here;

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=35397 Obviosuly, this has no hood as such, its purley to allow you to bring the cam to eye level for steadying
Old Nov 11, 2009, 10:33 AM   #5

HoodLoupe3.0 doesn't weight too much and it is quite comfortable because it has rubber coating, I bought it mainly for filming birds and airplanes, you can trace them better with viewfinder.

Problem is its size and you have to attach it to LCD every time you want to use it and you have to carry it with you as your other camera accessories, all these annoyances together makes it inconvenient to use. It would be much easier to use camera or camcorder with build-in EVF.
Quenaelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2009, 2:45 PM   #6

Default it will be permanent!

Because the device is hinged I will use a couple of rubber bands to hold it in place, it will then lift up out of the way and I'll fold the lcd down, voila, no extra weight, it can be moved in front and out of the way as desired! I may need to attach a small retainer on the side, but magic non damaging adhesive will be attached evreyhwere to stop the device rubbing/scratching etc. it will be intended to be permanent, if the hd2000 arrives this week will post some pics, but it may be next week, 2-3 days delivery means next week!