Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 4, 2009, 3:42 AM   #1

Default HD2000, worse ever Sanyo?

I cant believe what Sanyo have done to our beloved xactis with the HD2000, it was the worse experience ever for me, and I am a long term supporter of these great cams(well I was). To be fair the stills were fairly good but they still exhibit that crude/rough jpeg engine that once zoomed in is all too obvious, shame. But the video, well well, as someone else has noted in full 60p it exhibits intermittently a redline down the right side of the video, whats that all about? Plus the flicker indoor, oh I have never seen anything like it. As for the plastic feel and the general shape it is difficult to hold imo, a bit short to use the toggle?. Then there is the last thing, they still havent got anywhere near sorting the Image stabilisation.

In the end after a totally frustated weekend, I boxed it up and sent it back. I dearly wanted to like the hd2000 but Sanyo have made it the worse generation ever imo.

Last edited by Adventsam; Dec 4, 2009 at 3:45 AM.
Adventsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2009, 5:43 PM   #2

So you're saying you aren't satisfied? Just kidding. I heard the IS was better than the 1010 of course that isn't saying too much. The indoor flicker, what is the shutter speed etc when you experienced this? I know some of the auto or presets aren't the best but manual settings can sometimes fix certain issues. I didn't know the redline was a common issue, is this the case?
Markinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2009, 3:34 PM   #3

Yeah, there are lots of problems with this camera, white balance is second problem after flicker, it is quite yellowish to my taste when shooting in dark indoors.

Reasons why I bought this camera isn't its video quality but entirely elsewhere, I like to edit video in camera and I like Xacti library feature to be able to store videos without computer, then of course to able to take still pictures and all in one convenient package which fits in to your pocket. What more could you ask, ok, maybe smaller package with good OIS included and problems with white balance and flicker fixed.
Quenaelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2009, 4:07 PM   #4

I use the HD1010 and usually change from auto WB to incandescent or other while shooting indoors and the yellowish tint goes away.You can monitor the WB difference as you scroll through the presets. Also using night portrait preset indoors can help. I wish these cameras had the ability to store user presets.

Last edited by Markinter; Dec 11, 2009 at 4:10 PM.
Markinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2009, 6:00 PM   #5

Yes I have tried that also, but often I forgot to change it back so first shot I take outdoors is blueish. I have sometimes filmed all day outdoors with wrong indoor setting, only to notice afterwards when playing that white balance settings is forgot to indoor settings.

Last edited by Quenaelin; Dec 11, 2009 at 6:05 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 6:02 PM   #6

I take it that the Sanyo FH1 does not share these problems? Because the more I look at small, high quality hybrid cameras, the more I keep coming back at the FH1.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 3:22 AM   #7

FH1 is similar model, so there could be similar problems. I haven't seen any properly made review about FH1.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 3:56 PM   #8

Default Image stabilisation

Here is two MP4 files in 1080p60. First is an original shooting, the second is stabilised by Deshaker plugin (Sony Vegas and Virtualdub with Deshaker plugin):

http://www.2shared.com/file/9610450/...0x1080p60.html

http://www.2shared.com/file/10012146...0x1080p60.html

Shooted with Sanyo FH1...
espat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2009, 4:42 PM   #9

espat, thanks for the before and after shots with the deshaker. I am not sure I like the deshaker results - the image seems like it is being stretched and pulled in multiple directions at once. One would think that the deshaking effect would be to move the entire frame a little this way and that to smooth out motion, but that does not seem to be the case.
SMichelsen is offline   Reply With Quote