Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 16, 2009, 5:35 PM   #1

Default FH1 footage - 35mm adapter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ic_dOQu1Sc

Shot at ISO 50, 1/30 sec shutter.
John Araki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 16, 2009, 5:51 PM   #2

watched this on vimeo awhile back...very nice, i wish i had one of these..
Markinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2009, 6:28 PM   #3

Thanks Mark.

The adapter wasn't too hard to build. Great diagrams at jetsetmodels.info and parts can be had off of ebay (extension tubes) and jag35.com (ground glass, condenser, etc). I built my own because I only have pentax lenses & they don't fit onto normal/other mounts.

I really got excited about making one of these things soon after I bought the FH1.

You can't use/benefit from EIS w/ 35mm adapters and the FH1 has a dedicated ISO50 setting that does a great job in killing auto gain artifacts.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 6:44 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Very sweet results. Do you have any photos of the finished adaptor etc as always interested to see?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2009, 6:59 PM   #5

I have some old 55mm Vivitar lenses lying around I should put to use. They have a different mount as well.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 10:44 PM   #6

there's some fringing going on in the areas out of focus, not to mention that thin haze of purple-ness covering virtually every shot.

Also, a 35mm adapter for a panoramic shot? I'm not sure it made a difference
Old Dec 16, 2009, 11:15 PM   #7

I'm not sure what you mean by "fringing". I did notice some faint purple in some shots where there was a large difference in brightness like the white posts on the patio. Obviously the depth of field is to draw your attention toward what the creator wants you to focus on. I thought the opening wide shot was meant as a title shot not a shot demonstrating the 35 adapter if it was even used. I think he could get rid of the purple with some color correction or Magic Bullet Looks if that was something he wanted to do. Maybe in brighter conditions the purple would be more noticeable.

Looking at it from purely a test of the DOF and knowing I could tweak things in post, I like the adapter.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 12:58 AM   #8

thanks guys.

@sub
Didn't have the adapter on for the pano, for the same reasons you state. I don't think an adapter would provide the color vibrance in that low light, early morning pan as well as the native lens did. Sorry there was no disclosure on the description, just figured anyone would know it's not on for the pan.

Your reference of "fringing" and "purple-ness" which I've seen as well; think it's called chromatic aberration. (though I don't see the haze, which may be due to the warm calibration of my monitor) All vid has been converted to AIC to edit on FCE, which frustratingly take away from color depth.

Interestingly, naked shots with the FH1 that are backlit have that annoying CA. I'm positive that the Pentax SMC-A 50/1.7 lens does not cause the CA. Unfortunately, it's that problem with 35mm adapters that you degrade image quality by adding lens, but also that the best product is limited by the weakest link (in this case, the native lens).

I do need to look into color correction as I've never thought of that before...hey, it is my first 35mm vid.

===

What's pretty cool about the FH1's ISO50 setting and the adapter is that it minimizes the exposure shift that AUTO on the FH1 causes. At about 1:09 or so when it goes from backlit black dog to backlit tan dog, the exposure ramps up and down, but not in steps like it does on auto.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 1:04 AM   #9

The adapter may act as a ND filter to some degree, I'm sure someone with more experience will have a better explanation.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 1:27 AM   #10

Default adapter photos

just took some pics of my adapter/setup. Didn't know what to shoot so I shot a bunch...

homemade rig - works wonders for stabilization by sticking the back ends into my gut. Also gives me someplace to put a tripod mount (under the battery pack)

"Naked" setup: SMC-A50/1.7 lens, pentax extension tubes, ebay special "jinfinance" male-male 60-55 ring, jag35 condenser held in place by 2 fixed and one rotating 55mm filter ring, opteka achromat (55mm), 55->37 ring. IF you use pentax lenses, you need that goofy male-male ring. For some reason, all the pentax tubes on the market are threaded backwards (male where female should be, vice versa).

ISO50, Shutter priority at 1/30, Manual Focus at 15cm

View through condenser & achromat, which are practically butted up to each other.

GG screen from the back. Pancake vibrator stuck directly on the GG. There's electrical tape there, which is unnecessary and doesn't add anything (it's coming off). Lens is on in this pic.

View from the lens mount. I have 3 carbon fiber rods suspending the GG from the lens mount, exactly at the focal flange distance. They are adhered directly to the mount and the GG's 49mm filter ring, both w/ epoxy. Theres some neoprene battens to try to kill some noise off of the CF, works ok, but a better fix would be to not attach the rods to the mount. (next one I'll do diffrent)

===

I'm still working on the distance between the GG and the condenser with adding/removing extension tube sections. Not sure of the focal length of this particular condenser, it's not something jehu has listed on the site, I just got lucky maybe. It's a plano-convex deal anyway. I do know that the closer I get the PCX to the GG, the less zoom needed to avoid vignetting. The further distance I go, the better the image in terms of sharpness and depth of color, at the sacrifice of needing to zoom in some. I like where its at now, because it's spot on to the 15cm MF setting on the camera.

===

The adapter does rob light like an ND filter. This 50mm lens is a f1.7. a wider aperature would be better. My f2.8 lens will show the GG's grain if indoors. An f4 setting requires the brightest of outdoor light to have a reasonable image.

John