Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 17, 2009, 4:19 PM   #1

Default New VPC-FH1 owner; trying to get things right

I just bought a VPC-FH1. I am struggling to set up the right combination of video and audio codecs, editing software, etc, to accomplish my immediate goals:

- view shots on my PC without stutter or other glitches
- edit them together with a "real" editing app
- burn the videos to blu-ray
- keep the edited files for future home-video-server gadgets

I have a Dell e1705 with nvidia 256MB video card, 2GB ram and plenty of hard drive space. I recently installed the full version of the K-Lite codec pack, and use it's "Windows Player Classic Home Cinema" player.

I built a webpage, which I will add to as conditions warrant, which includes test shots straight out of the camera. Please take a look and feel free to comment here...

http://www.mysubaru360.com/unrelated/Sanyo_VPC_FH1/

Never mind the domain. It's my car.

Right now I am struggling to get 60p videos to play smoothly on my PC. I am "almost sort of" there. I believe it's a codec thing rather than hardware, but cannot be sure. 30p works much better. Question: what's the best format to shoot in for Blu-ray?
SMichelsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2009, 5:43 AM   #2

I played all of your files on WMP (Win Vista 32bit) very smoothly. CPU running at around 65% load on the heaviest file (1080P 60fps). Then again, I got my own little technique to get this running smooth. VLC & MPC have problems with the files.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 1:41 AM   #3

I am using Windows which plays h264 natively in WMP now and the 1080/60fps ran very smoothly too. Of course I do have a Quad core.

I also have an ATI Radeon 4550 video card which does hardware h264 video decoding. WMP uses DXVA which can use a compatible card for hardware decoding so it may be using that as well.

Like subc I noticed VLC player etc doesn't seem to play that file well at all, yet I do remember when looking at possible video cameras before I got my HD1010, and before I got the ATI card, I was able to play the 1080/60fps files smoothly with just the onboard integrated intel graphics probably because the CPU should be capable of decoding on its own anyway.

You might want to try the following in VLC Player:

Goto Tools->Preferences->Input & Codecs->Skip the loop filter for h.264 decoding and set to all.

This does improve things though it was still struggling. I notice this setting seems to work better on AVCHD files. I remember a Canon HF100 file wouldn't play yet it played beautifully once I turned that setting on.

I find videoing decoding seems to be mish mash across software in that just because one piece of software decodes it fine, another won't.

Editors being a particular problem. I find most video editors can't even handle the 1080p/30fps files from my HD1010 let alone the 60fps from yours. The only one's that can are the new Windows Live Movie Editor (which is so basic it only just qualifies as one though) and Cyberlink video editor.

Last edited by rgvcam; Dec 21, 2009 at 1:44 AM.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2009, 7:45 AM   #4

Oh, now that I see rgvcam response, I realize I did not included my details:

MSI notebook, Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz 4GB ram (although only 3GB visible, since I use vista32), GeForce 9600M GT with 512MB ram, with a display of 1680x1050 (which means, all 1080 footage has to be resized down to fit the screen).

WMP on my system decodes h.264 video with ffdshow assistance and CoreAAC for audio decoding.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 12:03 PM   #5

I just realized that when I said 'I am using Windows which plays h264 natively in WMP' I forgot to add that I am running Windows 7 which now has that ability without installing any codecs.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote