Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Dec 22, 2009, 4:53 PM   #1

Default HD2000A Xacti does not recognize External HD

I have a new HD200A and I want to connect the base to my tv and external drive where I store my videos.

Connection to the TV is fine via a HDMI cable and I can see the videos stored on the SD card from the camcorder.

Now, I try to connect the base of the camcorder to my WD 1TB storage unit via the provided cable that has a USB male on the other end to connect to the storage unit.

When I power the storage unit, instead of prompting for creating a XACTI library, I got the window asking me if I connect to a computer or a printer. And this is not a computer, it's a storage HD.

Any ideas what's wrong. Could it be the cable? Ot something I have to do on my storage unit? Thanks for you help.
nicostermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 22, 2009, 7:57 PM   #2

Don't know if this helps. The manual says that after all the connections are done, turn on the power in this order: camera -> hard disk -> TV. Try it. Or turn the camera off and then on again. Once the Xacti Library starts, you will need to format the HDD first by the camcorder if it is not done yet so make sure there are no other data that you want to keep in the HDD.

Last edited by ronaldkwok; Dec 22, 2009 at 7:59 PM. Reason: for clarity.
ronaldkwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2009, 8:37 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply. I tried that and it didn't work. I thought the problem was the USB port on this WD 1TB unit (because it said in small font that the port was to be used only for expanding storage) I went to exchange it with a Seagate NAS 110 that has 2 USB ports and one ethernet port as well.

I can manage the SAN fine via the Ethernet port but as soon as I plug in the USB cable from the camcorder docking cradle into the storage unit, I got the window prompting if it is a printer or a computer, regardless if I power or not in the order the manual told me to do it. No window asking about creating a library. if I pick Computer , there is no option to create a Xacti library.

Anybody tried and was successful in hooking up a storage unit like mine?. These are very common, I bought it as best Buy... I really can't figure what the problem is.
nicostermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2009, 10:02 PM   #4

I did a test on my HD2000 and I believe I know why. There are two USB cables supplied, a long normal USB interface cable and a much shorter one with a female USB end which Sanyo calls the USB converter cable. You have to use the shorter one to connect to the USB cable from the HDD and not directly to the USB port of the HDD. I hope you know what I mean. Once you have this converter cable connected to the docking station, the Xacti Library will start even if no HDD is connected at the other end and proceed to detect a HDD. Try it, should work this time.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 7:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicostermann View Post
Thanks for your reply. I tried that and it didn't work. I thought the problem was the USB port on this WD 1TB unit (because it said in small font that the port was to be used only for expanding storage) I went to exchange it with a Seagate NAS 110 that has 2 USB ports and one ethernet port as well.
Were you able to access the external HDD as per my previous post?
Old Jan 5, 2010, 9:23 AM   #6

I use 500 MB and 250 MB 2,5" USB-drives as Xacti library and it works ok. I also had some problems with disks when trying to connect them to cradle, USB HDD-drive must be powered on with externel power cable or you have to got USB Y-cable where is separate power cord and you have to take extra power from seperate USB power unit like USB-HUB, otherwise USB-drive doesn't power on and camera can't connect. There is also some limitations about USB HDD size, but I beleave it is 2TB, not 1TB. Also drive must be formatted as FAT32 otherwise camera doesn't recognize it.
Quenaelin is offline   Reply With Quote