Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jan 15, 2010, 2:59 AM   #1

Default Sanyo FH1 Camcorder - perky picture ??

Hi,
I have just bought a brand new Sanyo FH1 Full HD Camcorder, which can record in 1080p and 1080p playback.
Before I bought it, I downloaded a Mpeg4 Demofile from Sanyo website - and it was just stunning to watch - crystal clear.
So I expected that my new Sanyo FH1 would give me such picture quality picture !!
But when I record in high HD resolution with the camera - the picture is not even close to the demofile, it was blurred and glitty - and the colours are overnatural.

I have tried to export my videofile with Pinnacle 14 HD and Powerdirector 8 - as AVCD and BluRay file.
I played on my PC and on my TV via my Tvix Mediaplayer M6500 - and still the picture looked like my 6 year old DV camera.

Would I get a better picture buying a Sony HD HDR-CX105 Interlaced(only) Camcorder ??? I can still return the Sanyo FH1.

Last edited by hebsbebs; Jan 15, 2010 at 4:52 AM.
hebsbebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 15, 2010, 6:42 PM   #2

They probably used manual settings on the demo to achieve the optimal picture quality. I haven't seen the footage so I don't know what the conditions were etc but that's my guess. The auto settings I've heard can over saturate the colors so it's important to get a good white balance and make sure vivid is turned off in the menu. Grain is caused by too much gain when there isn't enough light for the exposure and aperture settings. Post a still from your vid so people can see what your talking about and offer advice. The cam should be able to give good results.
Markinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2010, 8:40 PM   #3

They are many good videos taken with the Sanyo FH1 or the similar HD2000 on Vimeo. My sample there, http://www.vimeo.com/5500486, is taken on full auto so you should get something similar or better. If not, you unit may be faulty.
ronaldkwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2010, 1:56 PM   #4

Hi again,
it seems to be a much better quality when I film outside when I set the White Balance to Incandescent.
When I play my recorded videofile - it is very clear. Recorded in Full HD 1920x1080 60i. Ihave not tried to record in 1920x1080 60p yet - but this must be better quality ??

But when it`s dark outside and I film indoor in the livingroom with normal light in the room - it is still gritty quality. Is that normal for these HD camcorders ??
Old Jan 16, 2010, 6:06 PM   #5

I believe generally all consumer camcorders will produce great videos in good outdoor lighting and will suffer in poor, low indoor lights. The HD2000/FH1 is one of the better low light performer at its price. The various HD resolutions are not that much different when taking normal videos for casual viewing.

Last edited by ronaldkwok; Jan 16, 2010 at 6:10 PM. Reason: clarity
Old Jan 16, 2010, 6:23 PM   #6

So you don`t think I will get a better result/camera, return my FH and get a Sony HDR-CX105 instead (which only have 1080 Interlaced) ??
Old Jan 16, 2010, 6:24 PM   #7

So you don`t think I will get a better result/camera, return my Sanyo Full HD FH1 and return it to a Sony HDR-CX105 instead (which only have 1080 Interlaced) ??
Old Jan 16, 2010, 7:00 PM   #8

I cannot comment on the video quality of the Sony CX105 since I don't own one. Maybe owners of this Sony can give their comments. The Sanyo is one of the very few consumer camcorder that does 60p progressive, the rest are mostly 60i, interlaced, if that is important for you.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 3:19 AM   #9

Is there a big difference in the quality between 1080p and 1080i ?
Old Jan 17, 2010, 8:09 PM   #10

As a casual user and for normal viewing, I don't see much difference between the 1080i and 1080p. Professional users may want to comment on this. I read that the 1080p will give better quality videos for fast moving subjects or for fast panning when compared to the 1080i mode. If you want to extract stills from your videos, the 1080p will give your more opportunities to do so. On the practical side, very few media players and editing softwares can handle the 1080p videos well currently since this is slightly ahead of its time! Just my view.