Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Mar 3, 2010, 8:09 PM   #11

Here is some low light video I took at a local hanggliding meeting. I think is pretty good for a point and shoot camera. Now is it as good as a proper video camera, maybe not but for something to fit in my pocket I think it is pretty close to my ideal camera.

Enjoy

Robert
http://www.vimeo.com/8231283
relate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 11:54 PM   #12

Your right that looked very good. Beer and R/C planes indoors you got to love that. Nice low gliding contest, that would be how high I'd be willing to go. The shots looked very steady for being hand held. The EIS on my HD1010 is less than desirable.
Markinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2010, 1:17 AM   #13

yes I must say the stabilisation on the HD1010 is not really practical. I will say though the program I use to edit my videos Cyberlinks PowerDirector 8 Ultra has an excellent stabilisation module built right into the program. It is virtually instant as well, just choose stabilisation and hit preview.

I have tried De-shaker, a separate stabilisation program and it not only takes ages to calculate how to stabilise the video it is very complicated to set up.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 1:31 AM   #14

De-Shaker and Magic Bullet Looks take for ever to render. MBL is very useful though. I use Vegas Pro8 right now, it has some scripts I use for time-lapse creation. I may have to give PD a try. I think it came with the HD1010 disk? I will have to dig it up and check, I think it was ver. 15 or 16?
Old Mar 4, 2010, 3:28 AM   #15

I would try the trial of Version 8 they have included a number of bug fixes in the last 12 months.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 2:08 PM   #16

I have a HD1010 which I have had since it came out and I love it, but recently I had purchased a Panasonic TZ7 mainly because of its fantastic wide angle as that is a weak point of the HD1010 - narrow field of view.

Although the video was good, it had very bad reaction to getting light in front of the lens as you can see from the still images below which I took from some of the video footage.

This also happened when any incandescent lights were in the shot. I had seen some of the purple flares in some other videos before I bought the camera, but the were insignificant, so I went ahead with my purchase. Maybe mine was faulty, but anyway it has gone back and been refunded.

The still photos were pretty good, but any indoor shots were VERY noisy and the video was poor. Although the HD1010 only take 3.5MP pictures in widescreen they are I think pretty good.

I am waiting for Sanyo to bring out a real upgrade to the HD1010, the HD2000 doesn't have enough differences to make me change. For the interim period I have just bought myself a wide angle lens and look forward to having some fun with it.

Hope the above helps

Last edited by renpriv; Mar 12, 2010 at 2:11 PM.
renpriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 2:20 PM   #17

A friend of mine had his still camera break so I told him to look at the Canon SX 20. It shoots 720p in video mode and has a 20x optical zoom with amazing OIS. It has 28mm at the wide end and shoots better indoor/lowlight video than our type of cameras no matter what brand. I'd be very tempted to get this camera if I was in the market and didn't need 1080. Another plus is using CHDK Canon Hackers Development Kit that adds even more features like time-lapse, motion detection etc. A 12mp still camera with a 2.5 inch fully articulating viewfinder.

Forgot about the price of the Canon $360 to $400

Last edited by Markinter; Mar 12, 2010 at 2:24 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 3:05 AM   #18

If you don't want those purple lines you have two options. Hold your hand over the lens and shade it from the sun or go old school and shoot with the sun behind you.

Regarding an upgrade to the HD1010 which I have. Panasonic has just bought out Sanyo so I would not hold my breath for an update any time soon. Plus after using my TZ7 I will never go back to a video camera without optical stabilisation. My HD1010's electronic stabilisation is useless.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 4:31 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by relate2 View Post
If you don't want those purple lines you have two options. Hold your hand over the lens and shade it from the sun or go old school and shoot with the sun behind you.

Regarding an upgrade to the HD1010 which I have. Panasonic has just bought out Sanyo so I would not hold my breath for an update any time soon. Plus after using my TZ7 I will never go back to a video camera without optical stabilisation. My HD1010's electronic stabilisation is useless.
Unfortunately you can't control where the sun is and it seemed to be wherever I went to shoot video the sun was near and caused the awful streaking. I wasn't happy videos shot indoors as I got flares from lights too. I only got the purple tinges on a few photos and that I could have just about lived with.

With regard to OIS v DIS, before I bought my HD1010 I knew it was something that everyone complained about, but I have'nt found it too much of an issue - maybe I have a steady hand I did find the TZ7 was very good for keeping the image still for zoomed stills, but I didn't find it any better for slow panning video shots.

I have now bought myself a x0.45 wide angle lens and I am more than pleased with the results I am getting. It makes the angle the equivilent of about 28mm and fixes the main reason why I boughtthe TZ7 in the first place, namely the narrow field of view. It also seems pretty sharp too, although not quite as crisp at the very edges, but for the price I am very pleased.

Thanks again for your advice.

Last edited by renpriv; Mar 15, 2010 at 4:34 AM.
renpriv is offline   Reply With Quote