Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Mar 1, 2010, 3:10 AM   #1

Default Ready To Move On

I had Sanyo VPC C5, and later VPC CG 65.The form factor was the main attraction. But too many times pictures captured indoor were just too noisy. Flash made the pictures too dark if the distance was not optimum.Now with review of newer Sony, Canon, point and shoot that produce perfect pictures and HD video , I wonder if I should move back to the traditional form factor.
Sanyo is now part of Panasonic, and perhaps Panasonic will put the fancy image sensor in Sanyo form, that would be the best. But for right now, how is the 2010 VPC compared to the rest of the field?
strpyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2010, 3:47 AM   #2

I have a Sanyo HD1010 and used it exclusively in my Hang gliding videos until I just bought a Panasonic TZ7/ZS3. The HD(720p) video from the TZ7 is just outstanding for a pocket camera with a 25mm-300mm zoom lens and compares very well with my Sanyo.
relate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2010, 12:33 PM   #3

Default what about the photo

Thanks for the reply about alternative to VPC.
What about the photo quality of the panasonic, I would assume pictures should come out a lot better than VPC.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 7:43 PM   #4

I have not seen any photos from a VPC but if you are talking about low light flash shots from virtually any pocket camera is always a compromise.

If you want to see what is possible with the TZ7/SZ3 this bloke has taken some beautiful shots.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mirepapa/

Here is a test video I did before I decided to buy my own TZ7/SZ3. This footage is raw straight from the camera to youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09XeSQDqARs

Cheers

Robert
Old Mar 3, 2010, 1:11 AM   #5

wow what a rough landing on your Paney test flight. Kidding, it was like you landed on pillows. You had my equilibrium swimming on those turns, that was great. I see you still have the HD1010 mounted closer to you, yes? How does the quality compare? No fisheye required on the Paney? I noticed the IS seemed vary good on the zooming.

Happy landings
Markinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 3:37 AM   #6

Yes when I mount the Panny out on my wing or on the keel I use the HD1010 on the base bar. It is nice not having to have the semi-fisheye to get nice wide angle. Plus I can zoom without having to take off the fisheye lens.

Regarding the quality I have virtually stopped using my HD1010 as the quality of the Panny is top notch and is now my main still and video camera.

Re the landing, yes a few years practice and nice smooth coastal air makes it easier to land gracefully.

Cheers

Robert
Old Mar 3, 2010, 10:14 AM   #7

You have to remember that Sanyo is mainly camcorder which has good still photo options. One main reason is why I use Sanyo, is because it is robust camera without extracting lens, I have used Sanyo HD700 in very harsh conditions in snow and in light rain tough it isn't waterproof camera it hasn't broken yet. In here sunny days are limited and I like to take pictures and video also from those days when weather isn't so good. Other reason is it is camcorder which could shoot more than 30 minutes continous video, which was my first requirement. Most still cameras only shoot video very limited time.

There are also fully-zoomable wide-angle lenses available for HD1010.
Quenaelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 12:58 PM   #8

I am hoping something like Sony's Exmos sensor will solve the problem of poor light condition for point and shoot. Yes, Sanyo has been a better camcorder than camera in my hand.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 5:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quenaelin View Post
You have to remember that Sanyo is mainly camcorder which has good still photo options. One main reason is why I use Sanyo, is because it is robust camera without extracting lens, I have used Sanyo HD700 in very harsh conditions in snow and in light rain tough it isn't waterproof camera it hasn't broken yet. In here sunny days are limited and I like to take pictures and video also from those days when weather isn't so good. Other reason is it is camcorder which could shoot more than 30 minutes continuous video, which was my first requirement. Most still cameras only shoot video very limited time.

There are also fully-zoomable wide-angle lenses available for HD1010.
Still cameras in Europe are artificially crippled to video clips of 15 minutes in length, due to tax rules or something. For the rest of the world most still cameras allow videos to shoot until the memory card is full, that is unless you are shooting in Motion jpg which has a 2 gig limit irrespective of the size of your memory card.

I needed the widest wide angle I could get so I had to go with the semi-fisheye which only allows zooming to 4X before it goes blurry.
Old Mar 3, 2010, 6:41 PM   #10

I've been looking into some of the Lumix/Canon models and they have some great features but they still lack many key video features for my use. The OIS on these cameras is excellent and the length of zoom is higher. The sample video I've seen looks great but I haven't seen any low light video yet. They don't have anywhere near the manual video controls of the Sanyo and lack the ability to add filters/lens. Seems like there is no perfect camera out there that i could afford anyways. A Canon 7D would suit more of my needs but it's out of my price range. The test clip of relate2's hang-glider flight was awesome, the wide angle lens really made you feel like you were flying. check it out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brXax...eature=channel
Markinter is offline   Reply With Quote