Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Mar 8, 2010, 2:08 AM   #1

Default Is Anyone Curious about new Sanyo Cameras

There isnt any conversation about the new Sanyo offerings that should be appearing next week. For instance the cg102 and the cs1. I have loved Sanyo camcorders since the C1 and looked forward to newer versions. The C1 was the first truely pocketable camcorder/camera in history. The C5 was better and the C6 was still better. The c700 was a return to better pocketability. Now that the prices are starting to come down from the $600 dollar range the speculation and emthusiasm seems to have died. Is this because we stopped taking pictures, leaked information is less, other companies have bettered Sanyo, or the economy has made taking pictures less appealing? In spite of the economy I still am curious about the newest technology from Sanyo and others.
geralda590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2010, 4:24 AM   #2

Default Hi Geralda

I posted a topic below about the new CG100 and said it looked fairly interesting, like you I was an early adopter with the C1,C4, HD1, 2 etc but felt that the HD1000 moved in the wrong direction. As you know the HD1 and 2 were really great cams, light-compact and sporting 7mp images and nice ergonomics. The HD1000, was fatter, heavier and although had better glass had smaller imagers. Really, imo, they havent quite matched the c4 and hd1-2 relatively speaking, although the new cg100 looks like a return to form maybe.

Like many though who have bought into the Sanyo markeing they soon realise the compromises that dont really allow the Sanyp experience to grow. No manual controls for focus, just stepped adjustments, no OIS, just the usual dis and the usual raft of minor improvements that generally amount to nothing.

In any event I like the look and flexibility of the new cg100 and look forward to giving it a try.
Adventsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 1:10 PM   #3

I bought the C6 when it first came out and paid only a little over $100 for it, brand new (warehouse 123). Still works great! I've wanted to move up to HD but could not afford the high price being charged. The HD2000 is the one I wanted to move up to but the cheapest it is available for is still over $400 again at warehouse 123 (I like the idea of add-on lenses and filters).

Since then I've jumped to a PM5 bloggie, still getting used to it. Sony vs Sanyo. Loses the lens cap, also the good form factor that Sanyo has. Also loses pretty much all control whether manual or via menu.

I like the idea of new Sanyo offerings, however, I am hopeful that prices for old units esp. HD2000 fall in relation... doesn't seem to be happening.

I've also got a MD80 spy cam coming, 720P camera from eBay for $12.50, we'll see how that works (no viewfinder or screen or anything).
Grunchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 10:14 AM   #4

If this is Sanyo complete new line-up, I guess they aren't planning any 1080P recorders anymore... That would be a shame, but makes sense since they have been taken over by Panasonic.
Would love to know if this is the new direction of Sanyo, or if more is to be expected soon.

Last edited by Rawit; Mar 14, 2010 at 10:18 AM.
Rawit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 12:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawit View Post
If this is Sanyo complete new line-up, I guess they aren't planning any 1080P recorders anymore... That would be a shame, but makes sense since they have been taken over by Panasonic.
Would love to know if this is the new direction of Sanyo, or if more is to be expected soon.
What do you mean they aren't planning any 1080P camcorders anymore? They all shoot both 1080i *and* 1080P.

Unless you meant 60P instead of 30P which is a different issue altogether. I wouldn't be surprised if they come out with a replacement to HD2000 that still shoots in 60P
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 5:05 PM   #6

Yes, 1080P60 is what I meant... I saw that Panasonic has launched camcorders that support 1080P60 now. I hope not that Panasonic's take over of Sanyo means that the Sanyo's lineup will get less r&d...
Rawit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2010, 8:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawit View Post
Yes, 1080P60 is what I meant... I saw that Panasonic has launched camcorders that support 1080P60 now. I hope not that Panasonic's take over of Sanyo means that the Sanyo's lineup will get less r&d...
I can see your concern, but look on the bright side, Panasonic has one of the best OIS in the business, so one can but hope a future Sanyo incorporates this technology.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 1:19 AM   #8

My origonal post at the top was because I am curious about the new Sanyos. Amazon and B&H both have them for pre order. The CS1 is already available and has one unhelpul review by someone who could not get an SD card to work and instead of calling Sanyo sent it back for an unnamed canon. It seems like many reviews of Sanyos really are only attempts to discourage people from buying them. I have had 5 since the C1 that first thrilled me because it was so groundbreaking. I have taken more pictures and video with sanyos than anything before. They always had more functionality and features than anything comparable and each new release was an improvement over some defeciancies in a previous or competators model. The HD2 was my least favorite because it was fatter and had a popup flash, but it also had the best videos, photos and functionality up until then. I was pleased with the HD700 because it was more pocketable again but did not have an external mic jack and add on lenses that I never tried anyway. I always wished to get rid of the cradle and the power dongle and have that functionality built in and the non motorized lense cap was just something that would not break. The CS1 does appeal for the size but looks like a step back to somewhere between the C1 and the C6 with more interpolation features. I am really curious abot the CG102 and 20, but there is no information beyond the basics. Do they retain all the features of the HD700 plus enhanced imagers. Or do they have stripped down feature menus and worse quality at less than half the release price of all previous models? The CG20 and 102 at first look appear to be majorly enhanced HD700's at less than half the price. Cool.
geralda590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2010, 12:33 PM   #9

I just bought VPC-SH1 at buy.com, and I'm going to return it today. I'm really disappointed with picture quality. I tried all setting. Picture is not as clear as I expected. Maybe because of smaller sensor than VPC-FH1 has?. It has a lot of setting, modes etc. but compare to DXG-A80V I tested week ago, the picture is much worse on Sanyo. Maybe the one I received was damaged?
Anndybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2010, 8:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anndybo View Post
I just bought VPC-SH1 at buy.com, and I'm going to return it today. I'm really disappointed with picture quality. I tried all setting. Picture is not as clear as I expected. Maybe because of smaller sensor than VPC-FH1 has?. It has a lot of setting, modes etc. but compare to DXG-A80V I tested week ago, the picture is much worse on Sanyo. Maybe the one I received was damaged?
May be an idea to post a raw sample so we can have a look.