Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Apr 30, 2010, 10:53 PM   #1

Default CG102 comparison

I got my CG102 this week. I have had a C1, C5, C6, HD2, HD700, and now a CG102. The C1 was unique and mine still works after 9 years. The C5 had a better build and better features and was still peerless. The C6 was identical but had better low light---both still working. I use the C6 outside riding my bike for its sturdy metal case and pocketability. I wanted an HD2 for the incremental improvements that Sanyo always makes. But although the Hd2 was improved it was never really what I wanted. It was larger, no longer metal, but still sturdy. The lens cap fell off in my pocket, I didnt need the mike jack, and I hated the pop up flash---it always pops up in the pocket. The HD700 was a return to the funtionality of pre Hd2 Sanyos. Sturdier case tighter lense cap, pretty much the same abilities plus a simple menu setting.
The CG102
The pros: Smaller, as many and more menu settings than before, same size screen as hd700. and although its specifications indicated higher lux--- not better in low light. changing iso settings and taking pictures in a poorly lit room resulted in brighter, clearer, pictures in a poorly lit room than my previous Sanyos, and the flash seems to have enough range to fill a normal living room. I am not overwelmed but I am impressed. I take a lot of pictures with these cameras. The format for pictures works in Vista but you need your own software for video---Microsoft tried to ignore mp4. In windows 7 pictures and video can be watched and edited natively.
cons: no docking station---I never used it anyway
no software---useally wound up with someting better
no case---Sanyo cases always less impressive than camera anyway.
seperate battery charger---now I can charge while use with another battery.
no manual---you can download one.
no straps---I liked a previous wrist strap but always bought a neck strap anyway.

ONE THIRD THE PRICE OF PREVIOUS SANYOS!!!
geralda590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 2, 2010, 2:54 PM   #2

Geralda590,
Do you have any problem when taking still image with CG102? I got one from Amazon and when I press the photo shooting button, it took a long time to shoot the photo and sometimes i got no response at all. Do you have that problem with your camcorder?
ykhing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2010, 1:17 AM   #3

Default Stills

I have already taken a lot of stills and short video. I have not noticed any problems at all. I have noticed that by setting iso to one of my joystick movements for quick changes in different light helps me to avoid too dark video and pictures---others have complained that videos can be too dark in auto. I also discovered the videos play fine in mediacenter and player in windows 7 but are not recognized the first time you try to edit them in windows live movie maker but for some reason (update in background after mp4 detection?) It worked days later. I don't think that happens in vista. Shutter lag is always irritating. capturing frames to still s from video in camera. or doing sequential shots is the only way around this. Hope your camera is not defective. I hope you called sanyo---it sounds like there might be a bad microswitch in your still button.
geralda590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2010, 1:25 AM   #4

Thanks for the reply. I just received a new unit from Amazon and I can confirm that the one I have before is defective because the new doesn't have that problem. So, I am gonna send the old one back to Amazon.
ykhing is offline   Reply With Quote