Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jun 11, 2010, 6:38 PM   #1

Default FH1 (or any Sakti) why bother with all kind of software for editing?

Yes I m talking about the pain called joining, editing w/o losing quality etc

Is the camcorder's capability (ok basic) for cutting unwanted parts or the need to join all these small files (every time you pause its another file) for making one only for a movie with the same subject enough or not?

Life is short pals. Nero Vison , PowerDirector and this and that to do what? To add some effects? I give up.

To take out some unwanted material and to join my clips I think my FH1 (and others like it) can do it the machine itself FAST and w/o any compromise in quality and w/o freezings and the need of super processors, 8 Gb Ram and so on.....

1080p is not an easy thing to deal with. I was shooting in 720 only to be able to handle the mp4 files and even in this case it was a whole story. But then why to have a HD? Hours and hours lost. The main is to keep the memories and to have time for more important things.

Am I making any mistake?

Last edited by Phoebos; Jun 11, 2010 at 6:53 PM.
Phoebos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2010, 6:27 PM   #2

I can agree to an extent. For example, everytime I go to youtube and start watching a video.. if they have an intro (graphics, flying logos, titles, etc) that last more than a couple of seconds, I simply give up and close the window.

I truly enjoy videos that are made of pure actual content. Like you say, for most intents and purposes, simple cuts and getting rid of unwanted pieces is more than enough when it comes to video editing. And yes, many many times is pointless to bring the footage to the computer to edit it even further.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 10:32 PM   #3

No mistake, in my opinion. I have the Sanyo HD2000 (very similar to the FH1) and I totally agree with you. Most of the time I just use the built-in Cut and Join to do my video editing and find it very, very convenient. In fact, I just bought the Sony XR350E and I was very disappointed that it does not have the Join function built-in (only the Cut is built-in) and I need to use an external editior for this purpose; what a let down!
ronaldkwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2010, 5:19 PM   #4

you should treat the files as negatives and not primary source. I edit videos and they are pretty much lossless. I don't use windlows by the way nor a mac.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2010, 2:11 PM   #5

I agree. I rarely edit my videos. Apart from obvious junk, I store and view all my video unedited. These are mainly family and vacation videos not documentaries so editing just wastes valuable portions of my life.

Another thing is that when looking back, sometimes the video that a purist might tend to throw away can often hold gems. ie how certain places or buildings etc looked back then before they redid that road etc.

Of course sometimes it is fun to do the odd edited video for someone for a special occasion.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2010, 7:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvcam View Post
These are mainly family and vacation videos not documentaries so editing just wastes valuable portions of my life.

Exactly. I have 2 folders. Originals and none edited. AS a matter of fact, my originals folder has subcategory regarding the type of camera used. s200exr, hd2000, mustek, aiptek, etc.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 6:55 PM   #7

So lets say we have 2 or 3 joined files after some unwanted footage been cut using the camcorders capability etc . Where do you store them? You probably use ext. HDD for storage but how you watch them in your big flat TV(to enjoy your high quality 1080P or even 720P footage) ? Because mp4 Sanyos files, PS3 cannot recognize....
Phoebos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2010, 9:22 PM   #8

The current batch of HD media players have no problem playing the 60p files so not an issue nowadays. The rest of the world has caught up with the HD2000!
ronaldkwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2010, 1:37 AM   #9

I have an advanced rig at home. I don't think i seen anybody top it around here. my room monitor is just a 27 inch hp 27089m. I use this as my primary display in my bedroom for HDTV, TV, HD video review, gaming, photo editing, office, it has tons of analog devices hooked up to it for restoration purpouses such as vhs, analog pictures, etc. The Livingroom HDTV can play my edited files just fine. A secondary pc build around microboards with cpu and a good gpu with hdmi is all that it needs to work. You don't need alot to get this working. my bro uses a playstation 3 for his home setup. what ever works for you.

If editing on your camera is your thing, its fine. What ever works for you but we are just saying that the videos you create should be used as negatives and the whole point is you can create videos edited lossless with no problems.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 1:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebos View Post
but how you watch them in your big flat TV(to enjoy your high quality 1080P or even 720P footage) ? Because mp4 Sanyos files, PS3 cannot recognize....
The PS3 DOES recognize and play the Sanyo's MP4 files. I have no problem playing all formats on my HD1000 (720p and 1080i). However, the PS3 seems to have a hard time playing back the newer cams 1080/60p videos. Downloaded some and the playback was jerky/stuttery in the PS3. But the PS3 certainly does play the Sanyo MP4 files.

Rev.

Last edited by Rev2010; Jul 12, 2010 at 1:16 PM.
Rev2010 is offline   Reply With Quote