Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Sep 10, 2010, 8:37 AM   #1

Default Sanyo Xacti ... CG100 or HD2000 ???

Hi,

The CG100 cost half price compared to the HD2000
In additional the static picture use 14Mpixels instead of 8Mpixels ...

So, what is the real true about choosing one of these two camera ?

Thanks

e_lm_70

ps: I'm an happy owner of an good old Xacti C6 ... but I think is time to get a nice HD camera soon
e_lm_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2010, 7:41 AM   #2

Anybody ?

Any comparison between CG100 and HD2000 ?

Danke

e_lm_70
Old Sep 17, 2010, 5:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70 View Post
Anybody ?

Any comparison between CG100 and HD2000 ?

Danke

e_lm_70
Well it all depends on what you are wanting to use it for.

The HD2000's man claim to fame is that it has a a 60p (ie 60 FRAMES per second) Full HD mode as against the more common 60i (60 FIELDS per second) mode as the CG100 has. It also has a mic input and a cold shoe to put a video light or external mic on top. But it's not very pocket-able.

You can compare the two models by looking at their specifications here:

http://sanyo.com/xacti/english/produ...g100/spec.html
http://sanyo.com/xacti/english/produ...2000/spec.html

There is a newer VPC-HD2000A model but it only adds iFrame support to the HD2000 so not worth paying a premium over unless you are a Mac User and really want iFrame support.

Otherwise, considering the CG100 is a lot cheaper, it should be a nice upgrade to your C6!

I myself have an old Sanyo C40 and a HD1010 (The older model to the HD2000).
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2010, 10:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvcam View Post
Well it all depends on what you are wanting to use it for.

The HD2000's man claim to fame is that it has a a 60p (ie 60 FRAMES per second) Full HD mode as against the more common 60i (60 FIELDS per second) mode as the CG100 has. It also has a mic input and a cold shoe to put a video light or external mic on top. But it's not very pocket-able.

You can compare the two models by looking at their specifications here:

http://sanyo.com/xacti/english/produ...g100/spec.html
http://sanyo.com/xacti/english/produ...2000/spec.html

There is a newer VPC-HD2000A model but it only adds iFrame support to the HD2000 so not worth paying a premium over unless you are a Mac User and really want iFrame support.

Otherwise, considering the CG100 is a lot cheaper, it should be a nice upgrade to your C6!

I myself have an old Sanyo C40 and a HD1010 (The older model to the HD2000).
Thanks,

At the end reading the specs ... and based on the price ... plus for take something smaller ... I have took the CG100 .. just got in my hands now

First impression ... is quite disappointing ...

The old C6 have a much nicer case, in aluminium ... quite different then a cheap plastic used by CG100

As well, I'm not convinced about the durability of the "door" for change battery and SD card ... especially the SD-Card "door" is looking weak, not sure how many time I can take in and out the card before it will get destroyed ...

But the most disappoint of all ... is the focus time and focus capability ... if take ages ... and still most of time it cant focus correct ... if focus is not perfect Mega Pixel means nothing ... a VGA on focus is better then a 100Mpixel out of focus ...

I don't see any step forward compared to my C6 on the focus ... it was the weak point, and still it is for CG100 after 5 years ... maybe it got even worst now

I will check later better my CG100 ...

Maybe the HD2000 would have been a better call ...

Tchuss

e_lm_70
Old Sep 28, 2010, 11:54 AM   #5

To be honest I think people put too much emphasis on a metal vs Plastic case. I have never had any problems with 'plastic' bodied devices. The entry points for the memory cards and battery on most digital cameras seems to be a common complaint yet it's surprising how robust they end up being. My old Minolta Dimage F300 (which is now getting quite ancient in Digital camera terms) had the same complaint about it's SD card slot and battery doors which look quite flimsy yet several years later, they have yet to break!

I have noticed that focusing problems seem to be common across the Sanyo range. My own C40 would annoyingly often go out of focus on video every now and then for no reason. Even my HD1010 will 'blip' the focus seemingly randomly every now and then during a video shoot. I am not sure why Sanyo can't quite perfect it.

Are you mainly using the CG100 for video or still images? I have used the GH2 which is the CG100 in a traditional style camcorder configuration and didn't notice much in the way of problems with the video although to be fair I didn't have it long.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2010, 2:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70 View Post
Thanks,

At the end reading the specs ... and based on the price ... plus for take something smaller ... I have took the CG100 .. just got in my hands now

First impression ... is quite disappointing ...

The old C6 have a much nicer case, in aluminium ... quite different then a cheap plastic used by CG100

As well, I'm not convinced about the durability of the "door" for change battery and SD card ... especially the SD-Card "door" is looking weak, not sure how many time I can take in and out the card before it will get destroyed ...

But the most disappoint of all ... is the focus time and focus capability ... if take ages ... and still most of time it cant focus correct ... if focus is not perfect Mega Pixel means nothing ... a VGA on focus is better then a 100Mpixel out of focus ...

I don't see any step forward compared to my C6 on the focus ... it was the weak point, and still it is for CG100 after 5 years ... maybe it got even worst now

I will check later better my CG100 ...

Maybe the HD2000 would have been a better call ...

Tchuss

e_lm_70
Back from a short vacation ... where I did use my C6 near my new CG100 ...

No question about quality of video, coming from C6 with VGA video, the CG100 is a new planet in video quality ... focus and low light are handled relative good too ...

What I got very very disappointed is the photo quality ...

I can't see any improvement from the 6Mpixel C6 into the 14Mpixel CG100 ... I did shot a photo of the same object ... and I can't see any more details with the CG100 ... the C6 has low noise, while the CG100 has lot and lot of random pixel ...

I'm not 100% sure it is a problem with the optic or with the CMOS sensor ...

Fact that the old C6 was having a CCD, and now I can't find any sanyo with a CCD

One more thing .. by accident, my camera fall down from 1meter while making video ... and ... the weak door for memory card did open ... and I lost 10-15 min of video .. .... my C6 did had much bigger fall ... and still was continuing on playing video ...

As well ... often... these weak opening plastic stuff ... did open when not required ...

So ... quite disappointed by the CG100 ... video are good ... setting HS also in low light is decent ... but photos ... also in good light ... are never sharp ... more then 14Mpixel, is just a 7Mpixel

One other very annoying thing .. this button for wide-tele ... in very uncomfortable position, with forced of 1 second video loss ... and ... worst at all ... tele does not work in photo mode ...

I think I will sell this CG100 ... and I may give a try to the HD2000 ...

Anyhow ... anybody know a similar shape-size camera(video & photo) with 10M+ pixels ... with CCD ?

Thanks

e_lm_70
Old Dec 12, 2010, 9:12 PM   #7

The Sanyo HD2000 should be a better camcorder than the CG100. Like all Sanyos, it also has the poor image stabilisation but PQ is great and if you do not mind this, you should enjoy the HD2000.
ronaldkwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2011, 6:43 AM   #8

For me this would be entirely about the lens size. I demoed a borrowed new but "lower end" model before getting my HD2000, and the smaller lens just does not cut the mustard for me.'

A camera, no matter how advanced the interior workings or how flashy and slick the case design, is really all about the lens. A good camera is more expensive because it is nearly always a *better* camera.

I found this study by OKCupid particularly interesting, they analysed the exif data of thousands of uploaded profile photos, and more professional-end cameras clearly came out on top compared to cheaper cameras, and mobile cameras:
http://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/do...y-by-accident/

Quote:
As you can see, the general pattern is that more complex cameras take better pictures. Interchangable lens cameras (like digital SLRs) make you look more attractive than your basic point and shoot cameras, and those in turn make you look better than your camera phone.
And the same goes for video, not just still images.
istara is offline   Reply With Quote