Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Oct 1, 2010, 12:53 PM   #1

Default HD1010 cannot locate movies in camera

First time post. Sorry to say hello with a problem, but I'm having one that I haven't been able to figure out with the manual or searching on the Internet.

I cannot find movies inside the HD1010. I've tried Normal and Simple mode and toggled the Set button for ages and all I can find are pictures. When I connect my camera to my Mac, I can see 114 movies in the window.

This is part of a larger problem. I got a message that my SD card was full when I tried to record a movie a few days ago. Yesterday, I erased several movies to make room on it. I recorded a movie that was 1 GB and 12 minutes long. I cannot copy that to my hard disk nor import it into FCP or iMovie 9 (tried with optimize on and off). Therefor I wanted to check the questionable movie on the camera itself, - but I can't find any movies there. The Finder says I still have 800 MBs free on the SD card.

I can view most of the problem movie with the Finder's preview with no problem. It seems to have a glitch around 6 sec that hangs it up. It will go past it if given enough beach ball time. I only need the last part of the movie. It says in the manual I can split movies in the camera. I want to try that but I can't find ANY movies on the camera!

I know this must sound very basic and I'm a newcomer to videography but I've been trying to solve this for hours, so I'm hoping another HD1010 user can point me in the right direction.

TIA
edurbrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2010, 4:45 PM   #2

SO! you cannot see movies in the hd1010 and you see them in imovie but you cant delete them in imovie.

You still have lots of answers for us.

1. how long have you been using your camera and sd card in combination with your mac? has it been successfull with same hardware and same sd card?

2. When did the problem start?

I have 3 solutions for you if this hardware is new!

1. when you plug in the sd card to the mac, you empty the trash bin and that will remove all files deleted on the sd card which you deleted through your mac. WHy? because when you delete files, they are not removed until the trash is emptied while the sd card is plugged in.

2. you cannot view your hd1010 recorded videos if they been modified either by name or by codec on the hd1010 itself but is viewable by other softwares.

3. incompatability of mac hardware and sdhc card. You may read but cannot write and this is a hardware limitation so i suggest You find a capable sd usb adaptor that hardware allowes both read and write. This is mostly related to the operating system's kernel or also hardware issue.

Please give us more detail. The 3 answers I gave should get you started somewhere.

Last edited by Cresho; Oct 1, 2010 at 7:42 PM.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2010, 10:51 PM   #3

Thank you for the follow up. This is extremely helpful. I was wondering if my SD card was starting to go bad or if the camera was broken.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresho View Post
2. you cannot view your hd1010 recorded videos if they been modified either by name or by codec on the hd1010 itself but is viewable by other softwares.
Ah hah! That was it! I had renamed every single movie on the camera maybe half a week ago in order to better identify them, always just appending something to the name given though, and keeping the beginning: Sanyo201Country roads.MP4, for example. I do this all the time on my audio recorder (Edirol R-09) so I didn't think twice about it.

I erased my appendages to the names of two movies on the camera in the Finder and magically the videos reappeared on my camera. The questionable video took several minutes to load though. When I press play, the red multi indicator flashes quickly and the blue LED indicator flashes slowly and it doesn't play, well, the audio is playing, I can hear it, but the picture is frozen.
Quote:
1. how long have you been using your camera and sd card in combination with your mac? has it been successfull with same hardware and same sd card?
I've had the camera for about a year. I cannot say I've delved deeply into the workings of it. Mostly I just take snaps and home video clips: point and click. However I want to get more serious about using it now.

I've transferred movies and pics with no problems before. And I've been able to watch videos on the camera. IIRC pics and videos are on the same level in the camera and you have to click through them in the order they were taken in order to find what you want. You would think they would have an option to view just videos or pics, and in fact they do in the Simple mode, but when I click movies, it says there are no movies.

Quote:
2. When did the problem start?
Thursday.

Quote:
I have 3 solutions for you if this hardware is new!

1. when you plug in the sd card to the mac, you empty the trash bin and that will remove all files deleted on the sd card which you deleted through your mac. WHy? because when you delete files, they are not removed until the trash is emptied while the sd card is plugged in.
Right. I did that before I took the problem video. My card had filled up so I copied some movies over to a hard disk and emptied the trash.

Quote:
Please give us more detail. The 3 answers I gave should get you started somewhere.
I can say I learned a very important lesson: don't rename movies on the SD card!

The question now is how to salvage this video. This was more of a test and not for public consumption so it would not be a great loss if I cannot recover it, but for future reference I wonder if there is a way to copy a "damaged" movie to computer. This seems to be "bad" movie. Now it has finished playing but the red multi indicator is flashing and toggling the Set button seemed to do nothing. Turned it off and on, got the video to appear again and tried to cut video. Eventually the cut screen shows up, but everything is so slow. It behaves just like an overloaded underpowered computer. Eventually it does the action, but it takes several minutes. I'm cautiously optimistic. I've gotten it to go past the 6 second spot so I'll try a cut.

Yesterday I tried importing movies into iMovie and about 34 movies transferred. iMovie froze up after importing 6 sec of the problem video. Should I try erasing as many things as I can copy? Would that relieve stress? I mean, on a computer getting rid of excess seems to help, is it the same on an SD card in a camera?

I'll let you know if the cut works. Sorry for the long reply.
cheers,
Old Oct 2, 2010, 12:40 PM   #4

what i do is i copy videos from sd into new folder and rename folder 20101002-birthday. i leave files intact. and I use the xacti videos as negatives of film never editing them directly but using them to create a movie. Hope this helps.

I have originals saved and I have videos created. Always work for me.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2010, 10:36 AM   #5

Well, it looks like I've learned a second valuable lesson: don't put off backing up.

It looked like I did manage to do a cut on the file from within the camera. It just didn't cut in the place I wanted it to, unless it did and I didn't see that file. It took forever to do.

Then, what happened was I just couldn't get it out of that mode, I couldn't turn it off or change from that screen so I took the SD card out. I think it was from this time that the SD card became unreadable. I just get a choice to format the card now. I tried to put it in a card reader and see if my PowerBook could see it, but I don't think it could.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 2:14 PM   #6

God Bless windows ...

Get an cheap USB SD reader , and format it at any windows computer (FAT 32) .

Its good as information that the HD1010 does not have " low level " format.
Its not the only one , that it does not have it.

Last edited by kiriakost; Oct 16, 2010 at 2:24 PM.
kiriakost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2010, 11:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiriakost View Post
God Bless windows ...

Get an cheap USB SD reader , and format it at any windows computer (FAT 32) .

Its good as information that the HD1010 does not have " low level " format.
Its not the only one , that it does not have it.

Tried a USB SD reader last Wednesday, and borrowed another one yesterday. I am quite convinced now that it is a problem with the card and nothing to do with the computer or computer platform.
Luckily, I didn't lose anything of great importance.
I tried to do a Full Format on the camera and after about 90 seconds the format screen came up again. I tried a regular format and the screen reappeared after 24 sec. I suppose the card is toast.
Live and learn.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 10:39 AM   #8

By searching on the Web found that there is no " low level " format for SD.

I am very experienced with Olympus and Smart-media cards.
Very few digital cameras had the complete formatting function,
other than simply erasing .
And I got an old Polaroid PDC 3035 , because it has the proper card controller that is able to repair damaged Smart-media cards.( " low level " format or True format )

By your tests it looks that if the HD1010 are unable to format the card,
nothing does .

And also logically , if the HD1010 can create Fat32 in any Fat16 formatted SD up to 2GB , this will be the proof that the Hd1010 does everything possible as an SD cards controller.

I am go to try that , and see what happens.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 11:07 AM   #9

Quote:

And also logically , if the HD1010 can create Fat32 in any Fat16 formatted SD up to 2GB , this will be the proof that the Hd1010 does everything possible as an SD cards controller.

I am go to try that , and see what happens.
Yes it does ... but the opposite way around ...
I took an 2GB formatted as Fat (16) ,
and Format it at the computer to Fat (32).
Then inserted the card on the camera, and asked an full format.
The camera formatted the card at the proper file system for 2GB cards .
And so it revert it back to Fat (16) ...

And that's the proof that it does do, the called " low level " format or True format .

Get an new card

Or try first those links ..
http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...oad/index.html
http://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter/

Last edited by kiriakost; Oct 17, 2010 at 11:13 AM.
kiriakost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2010, 11:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Yes it does ... but the opposite way around ...
I took an 2GB formatted as Fat (16) ,
and Format it at the computer to Fat (32).
Then inserted the card on the camera, and asked an full format.
The camera formatted the card at the proper file system for 2GB cards .
And so it revert it back to Fat (16) ...

And that's the proof that it does do, the called " low level " format or True format .

Get an new card
http://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter/
That is what I concluded. I'll see if I can dig up the receipt but I have my doubts. Bought it at Costco.