Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Sanyo

Old Jan 8, 2011, 2:34 AM   #1

Default Thinking of buying HD2000, but is an updated model due/likely?

I have an HD2 but it doesn't have the H.264 codec - would the 2000 be a significant leap ahead?

I'm a bit worried about the age of the camera though, is Sanyo likely to be bringing out something new, or are they discontinuing the "trigger" style range?

I've seen one for US$369.99 on eBay, does that sound reasonable?

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions.

Last edited by istara; Jan 9, 2011 at 3:52 PM.
istara is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2011, 5:50 AM   #2

I don't have any experience with the HD2, but I don't expect Sanyo to release any camera's that outperform the HD2000.

Panasonic said it's going to terminate the Sanyo brandname around April 2012 and some of the features of Sanyo camera's are making there way into Panasonic cams (1080P60 mode for example).

In my opinion, the Sanyo HD2000 is a very nice and fun camera for that price.
Rawit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2011, 6:17 PM   #3

Buy it !!

I purchased a Panasonic TM700 to replace my HD2000 and now I am sending the TM700 back

Why ?, the TM700 does have indeed better video, but not so much better to put the 2000 to shame, now on the still pics, the 2000 puts the panasonic to change

Bt the big thing is usability and portability, there is no point in having the best camera in the world if it's not going to be easy to use and can go anywhere, the 2000 is stunning, fits in your pocket and goes anywhere you go, plus no carrying 2 cams (one for vid one for stills) .. best camera ever
NullMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2011, 7:28 PM   #4

Thank you so much for the advice!

Someone recently lent me a VPC-CS1 - I can't say I'm thrilled with the video quality from early tests (very grainy - but then the light was inside and evening, maybe it does better in sunlight?) - would the HD2000 definitely be a huge improvement on that? Obviously it has a decent size lens so I would hope so.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 10:54 AM   #5

I advise you to go to http://www.vimeo.com

Do a search for "hd2000" and you will see some all around videos on the HD2000, not just some perfect condition videos by Sanyo marketing

You will see it's spot on a sweet camera
NullMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2011, 10:34 AM   #6

Ive been loyal to the Sanyo Xacti range since its launched and think its totally amazing where we have ended up.

I am currently using the HD1010A and love it!
The only thing that now lets it down is that my photos are only a shockingly low 3.1MP

I was wondering whether upgrading to the HD2000 would be a wise move? Just for the increased picture quality?

Also are there any other cameras out there I should be considering moving to as Sanyo have decided to stop the Xacti brand of cameras
djleekee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2011, 4:44 AM   #7

Nullmind thank you so much for the Vimeo tip! I've had a look at several videos. It does seem to be better quality than my HD2, there is still a bit of blockiness, but nowhere near as much.

Does anyone who has one have any opinion on black vs gold? Originally I liked the gold, but that was based on this pic: http://images.ibuyplasma.com/!listings/images/SANYO/SYVPCHD2000GLDG/^IBP_MAIN_SYVPCHD2000GLDG.jpg

I've since realised that's somewhat misleading, as the side of the (underneath) panel is actually black, whereas they've shot/photoedited it to look metallic gold.

Anyway: does the gold look nice "in the flesh" or does it look a bit plasticy?

EDIT: UPDATE - I've taken the plunge and am getting one! ibuyplasma wouldn't ship internationally (I did manage to get through to a human at their call centre) - however I'm getting one through a friend in the US. It will be at least $200 cheaper than other sellers or Australian sellers.

So let's hope it's as great as all of you say!

Last edited by istara; Jan 30, 2011 at 3:02 PM.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 9:13 AM   #8

I find it incredible there is no replacement for the HD2000, ambarella announced chip-sets last year that go to 1080p 3D, and 4mp and 5mp at 30fps , and up to 32mp stills with android and advanced 3D. They usually show something in January well they normally also show something in the late half of the year, and should have last year).

Last edited by Wayne12; Feb 7, 2011 at 9:17 AM.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2011, 6:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne12 View Post
I find it incredible there is no replacement for the HD2000, ambarella announced chip-sets last year that go to 1080p 3D, and 4mp and 5mp at 30fps , and up to 32mp stills with android and advanced 3D. They usually show something in January well they normally also show something in the late half of the year, and should have last year).
Me too, but it really seems to be on hold, almost discontinued, though they still push the lower-end models.

Still, I managed to get my lovely gold HD2000 for that great eBay price, thanks to a friend-of-a-friend who was travelling over there (the site wouldn't ship internationally, and the camera was nearly twice the price in Australia). It's a wonderful little machine, and I haven't even begun to put it through its paces yet.

The only issue was a loose lens cover, but I found a tip in a YouTube comment about taking the plastic interior clip out, stretching it, and replacing it, and that worked perfectly.

Now I'll be looking around for a budget wide angle lens, as it doesn't look like there's any way to make my old HD2 one compatible.